After upgrade to iOS9, iCloud backup says 0 bytes, and all apps have "no data"

cpassman

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Was having this same issue. When I carefully followed your steps ESPECIALLY TO WAIT for the spinning wheel to complete, it worked flawlessly. THANK YOU!!!!

skojar

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi Bob, thanks for your input about iCloud. I've tried what you did a number of times, and still doesn't work. I had Apple's senior managers and engineers for over a month trying to solve this issue, with no luck :-( ... They had my credentials, so they could login as myself anytime within this month, so I don't know what to do really.

I've backed up more-or-less all my stuff via my iMac to 4 external hard drives, and aome other clouds (Box, Dropbox, Google Drive).

I don't know if I will regret moving a few years ago from Windows to Apple, but it seems that most of the problems is with iCloud EVERY time they update their systems :-( ... Apart from that, I can only congratulate them on an excellent support and their will to help.

But, when even senior managers and engineers cannot solve problem like mine, I don't really know what to do?!

I will wait another couple of months, and there will be no solution, I will give up, and possibly shift to Android.

andybrownstl

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Waited 6 plus weeks for this 9.2 update in the hopes that it would fix my backup problem. Still doesn't work. Don't know anything to do but restore as new and re download all my apps and totally set the phone up again. Very disappointed. I have used iCloud backups since the day they came out. I do t even own a computer. Have never needed it for iTunes backups. Maybe I will use a friends computer and try to make an iTunes backup. Then reset my phone to factory settings and then restore from that iTunes backup. But I would probably just be restoring a backup that is corrupt. Either way this is a hassle I was really hoping to avoid. The info says it's supposed to "fix the issue where iCloud backups would not complete" but it didn't work for me

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Waited 6 plus weeks for this 9.2 update in the hopes that it would fix my backup problem. Still doesn't work. Don't know anything to do but restore as new and re download all my apps and totally set the phone up again. Very disappointed. I have used iCloud backups since the day they came out. I do t even own a computer. Have never needed it for iTunes backups. Maybe I will use a friends computer and try to make an iTunes backup. Then reset my phone to factory settings and then restore from that iTunes backup. But I would probably just be restoring a backup that is corrupt. Either way this is a hassle I was really hoping to avoid. The info says it's supposed to "fix the issue where iCloud backups would not complete" but it didn't work for me

Try this, it worked for me. Turn off iCloud Keychain & in the cloud settings & storage delete the previous backup. Wait for the little circle thing to stop spinning first. Idk why but this what all I did & it works now. After all that try the back up again. .

andybrownstl

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have tried every fix listed for the last 6 weeks. My iCloud Keychain is off already. And I have deleted the previous backup. Thx for your suggestions.

MarkAttack

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Hey Andy. I was in the same situation as you, but after a lot of frustration, I finally got it to work. Here's what I did:
  1. Followed Omar's instructions to "Delete Backup". Problem was, after doing this, I was still getting the "cannot turn off backup icloud" error whenever I tried to turn off the backup of my Photo Library (or anything else for that matter)
  2. Went to Settings --> iCloud --> Backup (a bit hard to find, you have to scroll down and it's right below "Wallet") --> turned off (dialog box that comes up is the wrong one; gotta be a bug from Apple)
  3. Once you do this and you go back to "Manage Storage" your phone should no longer show up at all. Then I went back to the previous "Backup" page and turned it back on (again, the dialog box that pops up is the wrong one)
  4. After doing that, I was able to go to "Manage Storage" --> Select my phone --> and then turn off "Photo Library" under "Backup Options" without getting the error that was popping up before before
  5. After doing all this, it finally listed an accurate Backup Size for me (3.0 GB), and I went back to "Backup" page from step 2 and did a manual backup by selecting "Back Up Now"
I think the key to the whole thing was Step 2. Hope that helps. Best of luck

andybrownstl

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion. I have toggled that switch off many times. And I have been able to turn off photo library and all other app data backups. Even when I have every single app turned off the backup still fails. Looks like I have no choice but to setup as new.

elthesensai

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Apple really has to get this crap fixed. It has nothing to do with the size of the back up or lack of space on iCloud, Apple just screwed up iCloud back up on iOS 9. Ive been following this thread since iOS 9 came out and have been having back up issues on and off all throughout iOS 9. Why the hell am i paying for a service that doesn't work?!?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Installed 9.3..... Surprise, I still cannot complete an iCloud backup. Says in the release notes it's supposed to be fixed. For me it still is not

Do a clean factory reset. If it still does not work after that then take it to the Genius Bar at the Apple store and have them see if they can help you.

nutmac

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My iCloud Backup on iOS 9.3 is leaking for lack of better word. The backup size does not add up (it should be under 1GB, but it's using 2.8GB) and subsequent nightly backup is backing up additional 1GB or more each time.

andybrownstl

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Nutmac- same thing is happening to me. It grows almost one gb each night. Right now it's at 5.6 gb when the " next backup" size shows less than 1gb. I'm contemplating deleting the backup and creating a new one. I have battled these backup problems since iOS 9 came out and it's only been since 9.3 came out that I could backup at all. I'm nervous to delete the backup because that didn't go well when I tried that as a possible solution to my previous problem. Have you been able to fix yours?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro