After first iPhone: 4s or 5?

thaddeus8

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm looking into purchasing my first iPhone, mainly because I've become disillusioned with the Android system.

I'm torn between the 4s and the 5 (don't see the point in spending extra money on the 5s, plus no black!), and the reason why I'm posting in this sub-forum is because I'm assuming that most people here have upgraded from the 4s (or the 4). I love the look of the 4s and the sturdy, compact feel it has in your hand, yet I like the 5 just as much for its elegant design, and I can still hold it in my one hand nicely (I have fairly large hands, though I wouldn't want anything beyond a 4.2inch screen). The screen of the iPhone 5 (colour wise) clearly stands out as the winner, as does the front facing camera, yet the rear camera, going by what I've read, they seem to be the same. The only major difference I see are the different processors.

Main thing I use my current phone for is: random internet browsing, the odd game app and other apps (viber, snap chat, etc), heavy camera use, the odd call and the odd text. The main thing I want is: portability and extended use. The portability factor, well the two satisfy that (the 4s more so, though I do appreciate the extra screen space on the 5). With regards to the extended use, I'm unsure how the 4s will hold up with iOS7? 2 years from now? I intend on using this next device for say 3 years or so.

Any advice? :) How have people transitioned from the 4/4s to the 5? Is it a worthy upgrade, or a minor one? Thanks.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
The 4s is and awesome phone, but found the I5 to be better, quicker thiner . IMO the phone is great, but remember the 5 has been discontinued,doesn't mean a lot to me , but may to others.

anon(5895641)

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The 5 for sure if money isn't really an issue. Internally the 5 has better specs like cpu and ram. It's got a better chance of running IOS 10 or whatever it is 3 years from now smoother than the 4s.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
The 5 for sure if money isn't really an issue. Internally the 5 has better specs like cpu and ram. It's got a better chance of running IOS 10 or whatever it is 3 years from now smoother than the 4s.

Additionally, you get a 4 in. screen with the 5 vs. 3.5 in. with the 4s. The extra real estate is nice.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I still much prefer the 5 to the 4S. I can't handle how heavier and thicker the latter is comparably. And the speed of the former is much more noticeable, but not enough to be annoyed mind you. I say go for the 5 if I were you. Then again, I'd get the 5S if you really wanted to know. Love that sensor. And the 64bit thingy is going to be really helpful to apps down the line I'm sure.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The 4s is an awesome device. If you're looking at keeping your next phone for 2-3 years I would go with the i5. You'll probably be able to get a deal after the 20th.

thaddeus8

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping on some decent deals actually with the 5s coming out...I'm from Australia and mobile plans for the iphone 5 are still quite dear a year later.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well for me I think it's a big step up coming from a iPhone 4 and now I have the iPhone 5.. Much faster better camera and a couple added features.. Although the iPhone 4 is nice I think the 5 have a more sleek and sturdy build and yes screen is bigger and it does make a difference..

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Of course go with the 5. But the 4S is a great device.

Sent from my smokin hot, white, 64 GB, iPhone 5 on AT&T wrapped in a vintage brown BookBook case. FTW!

thaddeus8

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I've seen some pretty bad photos of iphone 5's that have either been dropped, or just had the coating scrape off for whatever reason...how bad is this? Even though I'm not much of a fan of cases, I do intend on putting a simple one on, just that, the odd moment I take it off..I'm worried that I might graze the sides whilst taking the case off or putting it on...my current phone has a similar 'anodised' coating, and I didn't have a case on it initially but decided to get one after the coating either rubbed off, or chipped off, which makes me not care or value the phone anymore.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I've seen some pretty bad photos of iphone 5's that have either been dropped, or just had the coating scrape off for whatever reason...how bad is this? Even though I'm not much of a fan of cases, I do intend on putting a simple one on, just that, the odd moment I take it off..I'm worried that I might graze the sides whilst taking the case off or putting it on...my current phone has a similar 'anodised' coating, and I didn't have a case on it initially but decided to get one after the coating either rubbed off, or chipped off, which makes me not care or value the phone anymore.

I have the white iPhone 5 and I don't have any issues with scratches, dents, or any other damage. If you are going to have a case on it then you should be fine. The 4S is made of glass on both sides. That presents an issue with durability as well.

Sent from my smokin hot, white, 64 GB, iPhone 5 on AT&T wrapped in a vintage brown BookBook case. FTW!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro