A year later, we can still only change the default email and browser on iOS

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I know I’m probably in the minority, but I don’t understand why a company can’t promote its own apps and services or place them as the “default” on the devices it creates?

You can install pretty much any mail, reminders, weather, notes, web browser, etc. that’s in the App Store and it’s not killing you to perform an extra step or two to get the app to launch or whatever it is you’re trying to do.

;)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I know I’m probably in the minority, but I don’t understand why a company can’t promote its own apps and services or place them as the “default” on the devices it creates?

You can install pretty much any mail, reminders, weather, notes, web browser, etc. that’s in the App Store and it’s not killing you to perform an extra step or two to get the app to launch or whatever it is you’re trying to do.

;)

Yes, but if I want to use the Ecosia browser, then when I tap on "open in browser" somewhere, I want it to open in Ecosia, not Safari. If Safari is the default, then I have to copy and paste it in Ecosia. That's just too much work!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but if I want to use the Ecosia browser, then when I tap on "open in browser" somewhere, I want it to open in Ecosia, not Safari. If Safari is the default, then I have to copy and paste it in Ecosia. That's just too much work!

(Laughing)….It’s just an extra step/minor inconvenience…

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
(Laughing)….It’s just an extra step/minor inconvenience…

No, if you don’t have Safari installed many times it won’t even attempt to open. Some links don’t give you an option to copy. And when it comes to email, if you don’t have Apple Mail installed, send email links error out and you can’t copy any sort of email address or anything. At best, it could be an extra step, an annoying step, every, single, time. Though many times, it becomes completely unusable.

On your initial point, it’s fine for companies to set a default out of the box. Apple just refused to let anyone change the defaults. Google, Blackberry, and Microsoft all allowed users to change defaults, only Apple wouldn’t allow it. Some people prefer to use web browsers with more options, more features, better security, and so on. Many people like to use mail apps with better features and better UI’s. This applies to every app and situation.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77