"A software update is required to connect to your iPhone"-bug??

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Since today I'm getting this error whenever I connect my iPhone XS as well as my older iPad Air 2 to my iMac.
All devices are updated to their latest OS'...

But when I click 'install' keeps telling me "can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server"

• How to fix this??
(macOS App Store doesn't show any software updates either)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
There was a discussion about this is Tidbits Talk a little while ago: https://talk.tidbits.com/t/whats-with-this-strange-nonstandard-update-to-itunes/5827

The original report was that it only gave that weird message after the first connection, but of course this was not on Mojave. Does this happen every time you plug those devices in, or only the first time?

I rarely connect devices (I just sync everything through the cloud) and. don't yet have Mojave on my main system, so I can't try to see what happens to me yet (I should be installing Mojave later this week.)

I'd say that you should probably contact Apple support if it continues. (A visit to the Genius Bar with an iMac would be a pain I would think, so maybe a call to AppleCare.)

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
The original report was that it only gave that weird message after the first connection, but of course this was not on Mojave. Does this happen every time you plug those devices in, or only the first time?

It happens every time... and I'm connecting devices to this iMac since 2015.
When I got my iPhone XS 3 days ago, everything (also my iPad) connected properly, until now.

I just tried connecting to my MacBook Air, and that works fine!
So it has to be something with my iMac...

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I think many others might have this issue as well...
Thanks for your help!

- This morning I had another issue though, iTunes didn't recognize my device, I had to wake the screen first (sounds like the battery charging issue that many are experiencing).

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
- This morning I had another issue though, iTunes didn't recognize my device, I had to wake the screen first (sounds like the battery charging issue that many are experiencing).

Probably, for an XS or Max, but it could also be (on the iPhone) Settings / Face ID & Passcode / USB Accessories turned off, if the iPhone had not been unlocked for an hour or more.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
"A software update is required to connect to your iPhone"-bug??

I had the 'Update Required' screen ( with a display graphic of an iPhone) happen a few days ago when I attempted to do a Computer Backup for all the devices, as I customarily do, a week or so after an iOS update, once all seems to have settled out and is working satisfactorily. It came up on the first device I connected to iTunes (my iPad mini 4). I told it to 'continue' from that screen, it sat for a minute then went away. I had to confirm 'trust' via a screen prompt for each device in sequence as I started the back-ups, but I don't do '2 factor authentication (yet) as I don't work for the CIA and it to me could cause more problems than it solves at this point. The backups all proceeded well for all devices and I guess it's the old Pilot in me that does both nightly automatic iCloud backups as well as 'post update' iTunes backups for the 'fleet'...I am still on High Sierra on a 'late 2012' iMac 21.5

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR