A Number of Things Plaging my Device

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
A little bit of background information:

I picked up an iPhone 5 on launch day from AT&T. All was good for a while, then I started noticing some issues with it.

Now to my issues.

On the software side:
On almost a daily basis I have two different things that occur. The first of which is (what I'm assuming from digging through diagnostic logs) is the springboard crashing. At an absolute random time, my phone will freeze for half a second, then go to the Apple logo for about 2-3 seconds before taking me back to my lock screen. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

The second issue is more annoying to me. This happens to me about 1-2 times a day. My phone will completely drop signal for about 10-20 seconds. Either showing no bars at all with no carrier logo, or simply say 'no service'. It comes back every time, but this is a pretty annoying occurence. Wifi is unaffected by this. (And for the record, I've never had any issues with wifi on my device.)

On the hardware side:
One issue here. The most annoying of all. My lock button has started to lose functionality. It must be hit a very specific way, otherwise it simply wont work. A press only registers on the button when I press it on the extreme left side, essentially I have to press the left edge really hard to get it to work. The phone has never been dropped or submerged or incinerated--so there's no physical damage on it anywhere.

Now that I'm through with my tangent, what are your thoughts? Am I just being nitpicky or should I do something about this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, you are NOT being nitpicky, in my opinion and you didn't come across that way. As for your first dilemma, I recommend you connect your device to a computer, fire up its iTunes app and reset / restore as new. Doing so has been known to be a remedy for a lot of issues. As for your second issue, I recommend you take it to a nearby Apple Store, if applicable, and have one of the geniuses look at it.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
No, you are NOT being nitpicky, in my opinion and you didn't come across that way. As for your first dilemma, I recommend you connect your device to a computer, fire up its iTunes app and reset / restore as new. Doing so has been known to be a remedy for a lot of issues. As for your second issue, I recommend you take it to a nearby Apple Store, if applicable, and have one of the geniuses look at it.

I second everything said here.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I know that's pretty much the go to fix for all software issues, but I really really would loathe setting it up as a new device.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I agree, and definitely think it’s due for a trip to the Genius Bar... one question - are you jailbroken or has your device gotten wet at all? If you are jailbroken, I’d recommend going "pure" for a bit to see if that helps at all. And secondly, if it’s got any water damage, Apple will not repair/replace it under warranty. Mind you, I am not accusing or suggesting anything, but simply stating a fact. Good luck, and let us know how this turns out...

Edit: Duh. It’s an iPhone 5. Of course it’s not jailbroken. My bad.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I know that's pretty much the go to fix for all software issues, but I really really would loathe setting it up as a new device.

Yes, some view it as an inconvenience, but I don't. As I've stated on several occasions, I'd rather spend a short period of time restoring my device as new than spend days trying to figure out an unknown cause of the problem. Still, it's your device and your time, my friend...:)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Nothing nitpicky about wanting your device to perform up to expectations...your phone is apparently suffering from either a bad restore file or it's simply a bad phone. As much of a pain it is to set up new, once you're done, and you have a phone that performs to the level you've heard so many praise about the iP5, you'll be happy you did it. I had a bad backup with my 4S, and ended up having to setup as new...it didn't take nearly as long as i thought it would, and the silver lining of loading everything back on was getting to cut some fat off of what i had on the phone itself realizing i had stuff i never used and had no intention of ever using it again.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(snipped)...t didn't take nearly as long as i thought it would, and the silver lining of loading everything back on was getting to cut some fat off of what i had on the phone itself realizing i had stuff i never used and had no intention of ever using it again.

That is so true! I doubt if it takes me an hour to get everything set up the way I want it. I don't keep music or videos on my device and I have only a handful of games, and the remainder are essential apps that I use almost daily so it take little time to re-download them from the App Store. I definitely agree with you in regard to cutting off some of the fat, so to speak. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73