• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

A mini Dilemma

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I have had an iPad mini 4 64GB WiFi for a few months and love it, but I need cellular so I'll be selling it. A week ago I snagged a refurbished iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB WiFi + Cellular from Apple's online store as a replacement and love it, too, though it's really heavy in comparison. Today I discovered a Verizon deal for a new iPad mini 4 128GB WiFi + Cellular for $330 w/2 year contract (I'm sticking with Verizon so no worries on it being a contract).

I put in an order with Verizon with the intention of requesting a return of the Pro 9.7" after tomorrow's WWDC keynote. In the unlikely event that they announce a new iPad mini (Pro) or I fall in love with the 10.5", if it's shown, I can cancel the Verizon order.

The dilemma? I'm not entirely 100% sure I want to give up the iPad Pro. It's faster and I like True Tone a lot. But I don't need a pencil and the size+weight of the mini is my ideal for content consumption, it's utterly perfect, particularly web surfing and ebook reading on the couch, holding it with one hand. Not to mention it's $300 less... and no, I can't keep both.

As I agonize over the decision you can help out by giving your opinion. What would YOU do in my position? Thanks!

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Well, the iPad 9.7 inch Pro is going back regardless. Return process initiated. It locked up when I was writing the previous post, or rather a earlier version of that post. I had to hold down the home and power buttons.

This was the third time it locked up, the second time I had to restore from iTunes on my Mac. I think I got a refurb lemon.

Now let's see what WWDC has, or has not, for us iPad lovers. ;)

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
No new iPad Mini announced yesterday. I have wondered if Apple is not planning on a new iPad Mini, with smaller bezels on new devices and larger phones, especially with the smaller bezels, encroaching on the size of the Mini (such as the Samsung S8+).

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
The mini is my ideal for content consumption, it's utterly perfect, particularly web surfing and ebook reading on the couch, holding it with one hand. Not to mention it's $300 less... and no, I can't keep both.

As I agonize over the decision you can help out by giving your opinion. What would YOU do in my position? Thanks!

I would get the product that would make me happier a daily basis and would make life easier. It seems like, you love the lightness and portability of the iPad Mini for reading on the couch with one hand. So my vote would be to stick with that Mini 4 😃

If you are just using it for watching movies, reading some books and browsing the Web, then its perfect and all the extra power you get in the Pro model would not be used.

As you mentioned, it's also $300 more for the Pro model. Hope this helps a bit with your decision. 😃

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
@Matty — After using the 9.7" Pro a week, occasionally alternating with my WiFi mini, I was pretty sure I'd be happier on a daily basis with an iPad mini 4 LTE. Then I watched the WWDC keynote, that iPad 10.5" Pro... so tempting. With a bit of reflection, however, I realized that the new 10.5 wouldn't be any different to the 9.7 on an average day of use, for me.

I dropped off the iPad Pro 9.7 for return and let the $329 Verizon iPad mini 128GB LTE deal go through. It arrives tomorrow.

I'll be enjoying the heck out this mini and continue to hope that Apple will refresh it someday so I have an upgrade option down the road.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a Mini 4 with cellular last month. I had been using an iPad 3, on which Safari was almost unusable, and I waited as long as I could wait for a new Mini. I want that form factor, and I will never use an iPad as a desktop/notebook replacement. I just consume the web, a few magazines and newspapers, news apps, sometimes watch a movie or TV show, maybe organize photos, and I want something I can travel with easily. I'm hoping that the Mini 4 will give me three good years before it's time for another and, like you, I hope that Apple updates it again. I know a lot of people think that they can get by without a Mini with a 5.5"-ish size phone, but that's bigger than I want; I'd rather have a 4.7"-ish sized phone and mini sized tablet. $200 off if you are going to stay with Verizon anyway is a great deal.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
@doogald — Agreed on the phone size. I have an iPhone 6s Plus and it's larger than I'd prefer. It's not large enough for me to comfortably read ebooks or watch videos on it so what's the point? I'll be downsizing next upgrade. The mini is the perfect next size up after a reasonably sized non-phablet phone (e.g. 4.7") that can actually fit in my pocket without me walking funny. ;-)

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
An update for the curious: Apple took back the iPad Pro 9.7 refurb and refunded the money, no problem (as usual with Apple). My new Verizon iPad mini 4 WiFi + Cellular arrived in perfect condition and has performed flawlessly since then. It's a keeper.

I downsized my iPhone 6s+ to an iPhone SE, same Space Gray, same 64GB storage. It's working out nicely for me.

So it looks like I'm ending up with Apple's smallest offering in each category: iPhone SE, iPad mini 4, and the 2014 Mac mini 2.6Ghz (the 23" 4K monitor is also for my PS4 Pro). I got the Mac on sale + open box a few months ago. Not only are these the smallest, most frugal Apples, they're also the three least likely to ever get updated/refreshed/have sequels. Some less likely than others, but I guess we'll see how things work out. The important thing is that they all work fine for me, in my situation, at this present time. The future will take care of itself.

DeviceStable.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman