A Disappointment....My Honest Thoughts In A Week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I pray for your mom. May she get better soon

Thanks - nothing like a surprise triple bypass to start your weekend.

I was super impressed with how the phone did in an emergency situation. I carry a battery pack and it simply wasn’t needed.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The backend service is biometric kit and anything that worked with touchID will still work with FaceID. Developers can however turn off biometric kit access to their apps until they are ready to deploy it.

I understand that but apple made a big deal that all apps with touch ID would "just work" with FaceID which is not the case.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have my banking apps updated with Face ID and they are all working fine. Same thing with other apps on my phone that supports it like 1password, Credit Karma, etc. Give it some time for them to adapt the new technology. It’s not apple’s fault. Blame it on the app developer. They have been given 2 years in advance to adapt the technology. This always happen with new iPhone release that brings out new technology. When you said the app has been updated, did it say updated with support of Face ID? If not then it won’t work.

It is the BBT app. It was updated with support for FaceID but is not working. Just look at the reviews, they also say TouchID is not working right on the app either. 1Password and others work, but not all do.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
LOL see Flossy Carters review (1:45) the 8+ clearly has DOUBLE the battery life of the X. What else should I prove? I already posted screen shots. All of my apple devices have been crap since iOS 11 rolled out. My 6s+ was stellar for 2 years, then they rolled that out and I would have thought that new hardware would improve it, but that's not the case. Even my iPad Air 2 is on the charger 2 - 3 times a day. My X was on the charger all day yesterday and most of today.

Not sure what you are doing that you have to charge an iPad 2-3 times a day, but my iPad pro and iPhone x have not had any issues with IOS 11. When the first betas were out it took a hit, but once I switched off the betas (at public release) have not had any issues. My X gets great battery life, I am easily making it through a full day, and only charging every other day. Now I am not a "super heavy user" but it seems like if you hate the X and IOS11 so much, either switch to the plus, or hop to the android side. But if you want to talk about rogue apps draining battery, watch out on android, especially with some of Google's own apps.

mtva24

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
Not sure what you are doing that you have to charge an iPad 2-3 times a day, but my iPad pro and iPhone x have not had any issues with IOS 11. When the first betas were out it took a hit, but once I switched off the betas (at public release) have not had any issues. My X gets great battery life, I am easily making it through a full day, and only charging every other day. Now I am not a "super heavy user" but it seems like if you hate the X and IOS11 so much, either switch to the plus, or hop to the android side. But if you want to talk about rogue apps draining battery, watch out on android, especially with some of Google's own apps.

First off I always keep an Android in rotation, which is a pixel 2 xl (has its own issues mostly related to the display quality, but a much better battery) Secondly, I never said I hated the phone or iOS, they just have issues...right now I’m at 50% and have 2 h usage and 7 hrs standby, still not stellar. I have no bias towards phones or any OS. Just calling what I see...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
First off I always keep an Android in rotation, which is a pixel 2 xl (has its own issues mostly related to the display quality, but a much better battery) Secondly, I never said I hated the phone or iOS, they just have issues...right now I’m at 50% and have 2 h usage and 7 hrs standby, still not stellar. I have no bias towards phones or any OS. Just calling what I see...

Well I would love to know exactly how you have your phone set up for it to be that low on battery with 2h of usage. But if you have the screen all the way up, and everything syncing all the time, your battery is going to take a hit. That is one reason I turn off background sync (facebook is the worst for this). I also have both an IOS and android device, and android devices can be great, but it seems out of the blue battery will go crazy. I have not had those issues with IOS.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You gotta be doing some serious usage on any iPad to be charging 2-3 times a day, lol

That is what I am saying. Even on my iPad pro, watching shows on directv now only takes about 8% an hour. If you are killing the iPad battery that many times they have a lot of free time on their hands lol

mtva24

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
Yep, super pedestrian lol

A64lfot.png

mUhsSMw.png

n5rl97R.png

robinhelene

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I update my iPhones every year and have had a new Plus each year excluding the 8. I am strongly considering exchanging the X for the 8 + but I am not sure yet. Would love to hear what some other X owners think, especially those coming from the Plus. Some of my complaints are personal small stuff so it may not be relevant to everyone.

1.) One of the most frustrating things for me is the new gestures. I can definitely see it having a ton of upside in the future. As someone constantly switching back and forth between apps due to work (twitter, pay pal, email, text, safari, etc) I can honestly say I found it 10x easier to do on the Plus. Don't even get me started on what seems like a nightmare to hard close apps.

2.) For a company that relies so heavily on aesthetics "the notch issue" is quite annoying, almost shocking Apple would release it like this. I don't really use my iphone to watch movies or videos but if you do I can see it being a big deal. This is one of those things you almost have to ignore and just wait/hope that it won't be like this next year. Some people may not find it to be that big of a deal.

Its not the end of the world, but I definitely miss the battery % always being displayed.

3a.) The Face ID works pretty flawlessly. However, one of the issues I keep coming across is sometimes in the morning when I grab my phone and my eyes are half shut it won't work. The other extremely annoying thing is sometimes I will pick up my phone but the screen stays black and tapping on it wont turn it on so I either have to shake or press the button on the side. Its suppose to automatically turn on when you raise it but thats not always the case.

3b.) A large part of my business is done on my phone I send out dozens of payments to people on Pay Pal everyday and being able to just use my thumb to log in saves a lot of time! For now the only solution I found is to use the 4 digit pin to log in.i Its also nice to be able to log in my credit card and a few other apps using just my thumb.

This issue can easily be fixed in time though I wasn't able to find much information. Does anyone know if companies like Pay Pal, American Express etc will be adding the Face ID for a log in option or are the X users going to have to take a step here?

4.) I know this rocks the best camera Apple has ever released but the photos/pictures are small on the screen. Whenever I took a photo with my Plus it was HUGE, you could see the entire thing on the ENTIRE screen. If you take a picture with the X vertically or horizontally it appears on only around 60% of the screen as there pretty sizable black borders on the top and bottom.

5.) When I got my first Plus I hated how big it was in my hand but eventually got used to it as the screen size totally made up for it. At first I liked the fact that the X was similar to the regular iPhones which made it easier to fit in your pocket and hold. I may need more time with the X to get used to but I am just so used to typing on the Plus that the X feels too narrow. Again, after 2+ years of using a + I understand there is an adjustment period.

6.) Not really a complaint but more of a personal thing. So the screen is bigger than the Plus I believe. However, the fact that they made it ever so slightly more narrow is noticeable. Since the screen size is close to the Plus I thought of the X as the new iPhone Plus (as if Apple discontinued the smaller ones but it actually feels like the regular iPhone with more screen space which it kind of is. I hope they release an X Plus next year, but my only complaint is if I keep the X I am going to spend a year getting used to the smaller phone only to go back to the Plus size. I really miss the extra width of the Plus though even if there is more screen space on the X.

7.) This isn't really a complaint as I am sure they will eventually be updated but sucks there are still many apps including Spotify that haven't been updated to be compatible with the X.

THE GOOD

1.) One thing I want to point out is how fast and seamless everything is. These last 2 months but 7 + has becoming ridiculously slow, laggy, and was constantly temporary freezing in some apps. I have plenty of space but it seems to me with some of these Apple products that after 10-12 months of use they just don't perform the same, so the X is quite refreshing in that sense.

2.) I saw some posts about the audio and I'd have to say that more or less music sounds the same as on the 7+, but if you really pay close attention I'd definitely give a slight edge to the X, its a tiny bit more rich, but again, nothing that is really noticeable.

3.) Same goes for this new screen. Its definitely better, but if you asked your mom if she could she a difference I would doubt she would be able to notice a difference. No question its better but don't expect going a difference like 1080P to 4K.

4.) Its nice to have a smaller screen as its easier and put in your pocket, but as I said above the X feels more like an updated regular iphone so if you're coming from the Plus don't expect this to be like a Plus without the borders (which is what I thought for some reason)

5.) I have not seen the 8+ camera yet but this for sure has the best camera of any phone I've ever seen.

I am not giving up on the X yet, but I definitely miss the size of the Plus. I am tempted to switch it for an 8+ but I also really like the side-to-side screen, the OLED screen (I don't think the 8+ has this?), the camera, and I don't recall but I am going to assume the X is more powerful than the 8+. And of course the Apple charging pad will be a must for me when it comes out. I'll give it another week and then make up my mind. If you're coming from the regular iPhone than I think this is a winner for sure. But as someone who loves his + I am going to have to think a little. I definitely want to love and keep this phone though.

Would love to hear what anyone else coming from a Plus thinks.

I had the 8 plus and even though I liked the Plus phones ...i had the 6-8 versions....once I had the 8 plus it felt like it was a brick! At first i wasn’t going to get the X but then the day after preorder ...I decided I wanted it. I sold my phone on EBay and walked into Costco on Nov 3 and got the Space Grey one. I love this phone...the Face ID, though not perfect is so convenient...The camera is amazing and the OLED screen is really striking...it’s bright!! True some apps need to be optimized but that happened with the plus phones. The more I use this phone the more I appreciate the genius of it.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Been using a plus phone since the 6 came out and got spoiled by the excellent battery life. When I bought my iPhone X, battery life was one of my biggest concerns. For me, I’m getting nearly identical battery life from my X as I did from my 7 plus and 8 plus. Hate to hear people having issues with the battery, but for me it’s been everything I could have hoped for.
Heck, I’ve even grown to like the notch. It’s different, sure, but instead of thinking about what we are losing behind the notch, I prefer to think of the little edges as bonus screen. Hahaha!
Very pleased with the iPhone X, but I will most likely go with an X plus model next year if one is made available.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Been using a plus phone since the 6 came out and got spoiled by the excellent battery life. When I bought my iPhone X, battery life was one of my biggest concerns. For me, I’m getting nearly identical battery life from my X as I did from my 7 plus and 8 plus. Hate to hear people having issues with the battery, but for me it’s been everything I could have hoped for.
Heck, I’ve even grown to like the notch. It’s different, sure, but instead of thinking about what we are losing behind the notch, I prefer to think of the little edges as bonus screen. Hahaha!
Very pleased with the iPhone X, but I will most likely go with an X plus model next year if one is made available.

Yea me too. X plus the plus. It’ll be like X plus the 8 plus. A killer phone. Hope I can pocket it.

robinhelene

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
LOL see Flossy Carters review (1:45) the 8+ clearly has DOUBLE the battery life of the X. What else should I prove? I already posted screen shots. All of my apple devices have been crap since iOS 11 rolled out. My 6s+ was stellar for 2 years, then they rolled that out and I would have thought that new hardware would improve it, but that's not the case. Even my iPad Air 2 is on the charger 2 - 3 times a day. My X was on the charger all day yesterday and most of today.

Hopefully they fix iOS 11

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
App switching is my biggest gripe, but everything else tops the Plus - especially ...
I agree that the App Switcher could use some refining. Once I swipe up and pause to display the recently used/running apps, all I should have to do to close them out is swipe up without first having to press and hold.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks - nothing like a surprise triple bypass to start your weekend.

I was super impressed with how the phone did in an emergency situation. I carry a battery pack and it simply wasn’t needed.

I am going through a serious health issue myself. And blind sided by it as well.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what he's doing either. Last night, I was a 2h 17m usage and 22hr 50 mins standby on my iPhone X with 87% battery left. Tonight I'm at 68% with 4 hr 16 min usage and 42 hr 27 min standby. Something is definitely wrong if your phone isn't lasting you the day. And since I'm sure you'll want evidence:

IMG_0128.PNG

mtva24

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure what he's doing either. Last night, I was a 2h 17m usage and 22hr 50 mins standby on my iPhone X with 87% battery left. Tonight I'm at 68% with 4 hr 16 min usage and 42 hr 27 min standby. Something is definitely wrong if your phone isn't lasting you the day. And since I'm sure you'll want evidence:

View attachment 120543

Your brightness is probably on 0%.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm still at 25% with:

7 hours, 48 min usage
13 hour, 25 min standby

1.4 hours of that usage was Madden NFL football (35%), with 1.1 hours of facebook (23%)

Battery life on my X is fantastic.

3c29c5440ccc4af48ea7e9b76e1e6b1e.jpg
f5e8ca1a6777a0ca09f0cbb649811bbe.jpg
88420d64318ca5f15fa04e9707956a37.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods