A Disappointment....My Honest Thoughts In A Week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapor86

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I update my iPhones every year and have had a new Plus each year excluding the 8. I am strongly considering exchanging the X for the 8 + but I am not sure yet. Would love to hear what some other X owners think, especially those coming from the Plus. Some of my complaints are personal small stuff so it may not be relevant to everyone.

1.) One of the most frustrating things for me is the new gestures. I can definitely see it having a ton of upside in the future. As someone constantly switching back and forth between apps due to work (twitter, pay pal, email, text, safari, etc) I can honestly say I found it 10x easier to do on the Plus. Don't even get me started on what seems like a nightmare to hard close apps.

2.) For a company that relies so heavily on aesthetics "the notch issue" is quite annoying, almost shocking Apple would release it like this. I don't really use my iphone to watch movies or videos but if you do I can see it being a big deal. This is one of those things you almost have to ignore and just wait/hope that it won't be like this next year. Some people may not find it to be that big of a deal.

Its not the end of the world, but I definitely miss the battery % always being displayed.

3a.) The Face ID works pretty flawlessly. However, one of the issues I keep coming across is sometimes in the morning when I grab my phone and my eyes are half shut it won't work. The other extremely annoying thing is sometimes I will pick up my phone but the screen stays black and tapping on it wont turn it on so I either have to shake or press the button on the side. Its suppose to automatically turn on when you raise it but thats not always the case.

3b.) A large part of my business is done on my phone I send out dozens of payments to people on Pay Pal everyday and being able to just use my thumb to log in saves a lot of time! For now the only solution I found is to use the 4 digit pin to log in.i Its also nice to be able to log in my credit card and a few other apps using just my thumb.

This issue can easily be fixed in time though I wasn't able to find much information. Does anyone know if companies like Pay Pal, American Express etc will be adding the Face ID for a log in option or are the X users going to have to take a step here?

4.) I know this rocks the best camera Apple has ever released but the photos/pictures are small on the screen. Whenever I took a photo with my Plus it was HUGE, you could see the entire thing on the ENTIRE screen. If you take a picture with the X vertically or horizontally it appears on only around 60% of the screen as there pretty sizable black borders on the top and bottom.

5.) When I got my first Plus I hated how big it was in my hand but eventually got used to it as the screen size totally made up for it. At first I liked the fact that the X was similar to the regular iPhones which made it easier to fit in your pocket and hold. I may need more time with the X to get used to but I am just so used to typing on the Plus that the X feels too narrow. Again, after 2+ years of using a + I understand there is an adjustment period.

6.) Not really a complaint but more of a personal thing. So the screen is bigger than the Plus I believe. However, the fact that they made it ever so slightly more narrow is noticeable. Since the screen size is close to the Plus I thought of the X as the new iPhone Plus (as if Apple discontinued the smaller ones but it actually feels like the regular iPhone with more screen space which it kind of is. I hope they release an X Plus next year, but my only complaint is if I keep the X I am going to spend a year getting used to the smaller phone only to go back to the Plus size. I really miss the extra width of the Plus though even if there is more screen space on the X.

7.) This isn't really a complaint as I am sure they will eventually be updated but sucks there are still many apps including Spotify that haven't been updated to be compatible with the X.

THE GOOD

1.) One thing I want to point out is how fast and seamless everything is. These last 2 months but 7 + has becoming ridiculously slow, laggy, and was constantly temporary freezing in some apps. I have plenty of space but it seems to me with some of these Apple products that after 10-12 months of use they just don't perform the same, so the X is quite refreshing in that sense.

2.) I saw some posts about the audio and I'd have to say that more or less music sounds the same as on the 7+, but if you really pay close attention I'd definitely give a slight edge to the X, its a tiny bit more rich, but again, nothing that is really noticeable.

3.) Same goes for this new screen. Its definitely better, but if you asked your mom if she could she a difference I would doubt she would be able to notice a difference. No question its better but don't expect going a difference like 1080P to 4K.

4.) Its nice to have a smaller screen as its easier and put in your pocket, but as I said above the X feels more like an updated regular iphone so if you're coming from the Plus don't expect this to be like a Plus without the borders (which is what I thought for some reason)

5.) I have not seen the 8+ camera yet but this for sure has the best camera of any phone I've ever seen.

I am not giving up on the X yet, but I definitely miss the size of the Plus. I am tempted to switch it for an 8+ but I also really like the side-to-side screen, the OLED screen (I don't think the 8+ has this?), the camera, and I don't recall but I am going to assume the X is more powerful than the 8+. And of course the Apple charging pad will be a must for me when it comes out. I'll give it another week and then make up my mind. If you're coming from the regular iPhone than I think this is a winner for sure. But as someone who loves his + I am going to have to think a little. I definitely want to love and keep this phone though.

Would love to hear what anyone else coming from a Plus thinks.

Last edited:

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Good read and you have some valid pints, but most everyone I know who upgraded to the X is extremely happy and have no plans on going backwards.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Vapor86 said:
1.) One of the most frustrating things for me is the new gestures. I can definitely see it having a ton of upside in the future. As someone constantly switching back and forth between apps due to work (twitter, pay pal, email, text, safari, etc) I can honestly say I found it 10x easier to do on the Plus. Don't even get me started on what seems like a nightmare to hard close apps.

The gestures aren't a complaint for me. I kind of enjoy them actually. I will agree that they hard closing apps thing is a pointless change which added a step. But I also seldom hard close apps. It's not really needed and can actually do more harm than good.

2.) For a company that relies so heavily on aesthetics "the notch issue" is quite annoying, almost shocking Apple would release it like this. I don't really use my iphone to watch movies or videos but if you do I can see it being a big deal. This is one of those things you almost have to ignore and just wait/hope that it won't be like this next year. Some people may not find it to be that big of a deal.

Its not the end of the world, but I definitely miss the battery % always being displayed.

I don't even notice the notch anymore. It's really a non-issue for me.

3a.) The Face ID works pretty flawlessly. However, one of the issues I keep coming across is sometimes in the morning when I grab my phone and my eyes are half shut it won't work. The other extremely annoying thing is sometimes I will pick up my phone but the screen stays black and tapping on it wont turn it on so I either have to shake or press the button on the side. Its suppose to automatically turn on when you raise it but thats not always the case.
My opinion on FaceID is well documented around here. Basically, I agree with you on this one. I hope they are working to improve the overall experience for everyone.

3b.) A large part of my business is done on my phone I send out dozens of payments to people on Pay Pal everyday and being able to just use my thumb to log in saves a lot of time! For now the only solution I found is to use the 4 digit pin to log in.i Its also nice to be able to log on my my credit card and a few other apps using my thumb.

This issue can easily be fixed in time though I wasn't able to find much information. Does anyone know if companies like Pay Pal, American Express etc will be adding the Face ID for a log in option or are the X users going to have to take a step here?

This is where I would disagree with your experiences. My experience with FaceID as it relates to other applications, so far, is great. It's been implemented in all the apps I frequent and the way the X scans my face and then applies my log in credentials across websites is awesome. The integration with iCloud Keychain is great. Homerun there, in my opinion.

4.) I know this rocks the best camera Apple has ever released but the photos/pictures are small on the screen. Whenever I took a photo with my Plus it was HUGE, you could see the entire thing on the ENTIRE screen. If you take a picture with the X vertically or horizontally it appears on only around 60% of the screen as there pretty sizable black borders on the top and bottom.

You can expand the pictures with the pinch gesture. Then your photos will show full screen. Unfortunately it crops those photos so some details on the edge of the picture may fall off the screen so you'd have to scroll around. But it is an option.

5.) When I got my first Plus I hated how big it was in my hand but eventually got used to it as the screen size totally made up for it. At first I liked the fact that the X was similar to the regular iPhones which made it easier to fit in your pocket and hold. I may need more time with the X to get used to but I am just so used to typing on the Plus that the X feels to narrow. Again, after 2+ years of using a + I understand there is an adjustment period.

I love the size of this phone. Probably my favorite thing about it. No complaints here on that. I too came from a Plus device. This is a much more comfortable hold, for me.

6.) Not really a complaint but more of a personal thing. So the screen is bigger than the Plus I believe. However, the fact that they made it ever so slightly more narrow is noticeable. Since the screen size is close to the Plus I thought of the X as the new iPhone Plus (as if Apple discontinued the smaller ones but it actually feels like the regular iPhone with more screen space which it kind of is. I hope they release an X Plus next year, but my only complaint is if I keep the X I am going to spend a year getting used to the smaller phone only to go back to the Plus size. I really miss the extra width of the Plus though even if there is more screen space on the X.

Again, I love the size. I wouldn't even consider an X Plus personally.

7.) This isn't really a complaint as I am sure they will eventually be updated but sucks there are still many apps including Spotify that haven't been updated to be compatible with the X.

Spotify was updated today. I imagine within the next few months we will begin seeing more and more apps updated to take advantage of the X. Patience on this one is what I'd recommend. It's still a new product. All developers haven't been able to get their apps optimized yet. I'm sure it will happen.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The X is way different than other IPhones and the changes are affecting a few owners. My biggest complaint was the size of the device itself and how it handled the font size through out the OS. The font size was much smaller than a plus and can't figure out the reason. I prefer the size of the X but my note 8 easily beat the X in every way so I returned mine. Would love to go back to apple but until there is a fix I will stay where I am at.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I have decidedly mixed feelings about the notch. It's butt ugly, BUT yet it is unique also and makes the iPhone X instantly recognizable. MKBHD has even speculated that this was part of Apple's grand design to give the phone a different and iconic look. Yet still I think it's ugly and annoying, and can get in the way of many apps especially those that play videos, BUT many apps are adjusting and compensating, via a kind of side letterboxing, or the placing of black on both sides to mask out and balance the notch. Give developers' time, they will fix it within their apps. :)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I love the X compared to the Plus. You have 97.1% of the same screen real estate as the Plus, roughly the same battery life, gestures, and the notch doesn’t bother me even though that’s the only reason the X doesn’t have a larger screen. The thing that annoys me the most is actually the aspect ratio which is 18:9:9, or basically 19:9. Typical video aspect ratio is 16:9, so going full screen cuts off the top and bottom of videos, however I have noticed some YouTuber’s using widescreen videos. Widescreen video puts the black borders on the top and bottom, you can’t expand, but you get more video overall in my opinion.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I’ve been a plus user since the 6 plus and I have no problem adjusting to the X. The size is just perfect for me. It all depends on how you feel about it. We can’t tell you which one to choose. Whatever makes you more happy and comfortable is what you should go for.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I was jazzed to get my iPhone X dropped by my shipping department on my desk today...especially after being told by Verizon that, although it was originally set to deliver today, the shipment was delayed. I was kind of bummed, then got the good surprise after all! :dancing:

First impressions after coming from a 7+ like the OP...

1. I like the swipe thing in place of the home button...a lot more than I thought I would. Frankly, because I'm also a moderator at another Mobile Nations web site, I was one of the first to jump on the "new" BlackBerry OS10 when it came out on the BlackBerry Z10...and I hated the swipe/gesture thing...a lot. I never got used to it, and quickly came back to the iPhone never to return. Maybe it's the smoothness and effortlessness of the movements necessary, maybe the size of the phone makes it easy to do, I don't know...but I like it a whole lot more than the BlackBerry effort, and that's a good thing. Apple flat has the UI experience thing down pat!

2. I was worried about the speakers sounding quieter and more "tinny" than that of my 7+ since I had heard from several online sources that was the case. I'm happy to report, that on my phone at least, the speaker is a bit louder and the sound quality is a bit better...more balanced, than the 7+. I'm pleasantly surprised.

3. I AM having a bit of an issue with the size vs. the larger size of the 7+ that I'd gotten used to. I will, no doubt...and my smallish hands like the fact that I can reach most every app icon now with the thumb on one hand (like iPhones used to be). I also like that the device is a lot more comfortable in the front pocket of the dress slacks I wear at my workplace every day, and will also be whole lot less cumbersome in the same pocket on jeans. Overall, the smaller size is a plus to me...but one that muscle memory will have to relearn.

4. The earpiece speaker is louder and clearer than on my 7+. That's a huge deal for me personally, since because of a childhood accident I'm almost deaf in my right ear, and that's where I hold my phone the most comfortably. I can hear loud and clear on maximum...which means most people will be turning the level down a tad to hear clearly. I'm impressed.

5. The OLED screen IS better. Not dramatically, but better nonetheless. The blacks are blacker, the colors brighter. I haven't had the phone out in the direct sunlight yet...but so far, so good Apple!

Overall, I'm happy. Don't know about battery life yet, but that's coming. I'm on my first day with a new toy, and it's not fair to judge battery life on your first day with a device anyway since you're spending a lot more time playing with it, and it will drain faster. I'll give it a few days to judge that.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I think the gestures are fine. I was able to get used to just swiping back and forth between apps instead of bringing up the multi-task switcher. I also learned to get the multi-task "shake" in one shot by swiping up, quickly to the right and keeping my thumb on there then just swipe away to close apps.

I agree. Watching a video in landscape you either get in iPhone 8 size or zoom to fill in the screen and get some cropping and notch interference. Notch is especially noticeable when transitioning to a dark app to an app with a white screen. Just jumps out right away. But it's something I could live with.

3b.) A large part of my business is done on my phone I send out dozens of payments to people on Pay Pal everyday and being able to just use my thumb to log in saves a lot of time! For now the only solution I found is to use the 4 digit pin to log in.i Its also nice to be able to log on my my credit card and a few other apps using my thumb.

I had attention aware feature set to "off". Face ID is pretty flawless as long as your phone is in position to catch your face. Otherwise you're jerking around with it to try to catch you. Face ID doesn't fail very often, but it's a hassle to get the sensor to catch your face depending on what physical position you're in.

I doesn't bother me too much. I feel confident that that is something Apple will work on.

5.) When I got my first Plus I hated how big it was in my hand but eventually got used to it as the screen size totally made up for it. At first I liked the fact that the X was similar to the regular iPhones which made it easier to fit in your pocket and hold. I may need more time with the X to get used to but I am just so used to typing on the Plus that the X feels to narrow. Again, after 2+ years of using a + I understand there is an adjustment period.

It does feel like more of a breeze to type on the Plus. But like you said, some more time with the X and you should be able to type away in no time.

Just adjustments to make on a yearly basis.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Ok I'm with my brand new iPhone X for two days now (ok, I know is so little time to make any assumptions, yet) and would like to share some thoughts for my own, too.

I really LOVE the gestures. A lot. For me, this is the real home run of the X. I used to have some webOS devices a lot of time ago, and I can confess sometimes I still used to use them in regular basis, just to interact with what I think is the best mobile OS ever made. Now using the X I can feel almost the same feel, albeit I think the UI still can improve a lot. For me using iPhone by gestures is a real pleasure, like something I desired so much for so much time being true. Really a must, for me.

I came from a 7 Plus. And, yes, I'm suffering considerably with the screen size of the X. Guys, don't get me wrong, but when I read the X would have a screen bigger than that of my 7 Plus, well, I was expecting it would be really bigger. And that's simply not the case yet. Almost all my daily-using apps aren't optimised yet, and that simply makes the X screen workspace considerably smaller than that I was used too. For me that's a little bit frustrating. I don't know if it's just a case of app updating, but for now I just don't like the solution Apple adopted. And, yes, that notch annoys me. I didn't thought it would, sincerely, but it does. Waiting to adapt, but for now... Yes, I know it's there every single time I look at the screen.

About the OLED... Well... Again, don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful technology, one of the best... But, guys, it changes colour when you look at it sideways. It makes everything bluer... And it's annoying me too. I don't know who invented Apple needed to adopt AMOLED, to be honest, as the regular LCD panel of my 7 Plus is just wonderful. And don't change colour in any position! Again, didn't like it. Again, I'm expecting to adapt ASAP.

Going back to positives again: the sound of this thing is just amazing! Louder and clearer than that of my 7 Plus. The system appears much more responsive overall, too. And the X is just GORGEOUS! How beautiful is this thing! Mine is the gray one and... I became just mesmerized looking at it for the first time I opened the box. Very cool.

About FaceID... Still too early to judge. It works flawlessly for me, every single time until now but... Sometimes I just think TouchID was much more practical. I used to simple get my 7 Plus and press the virtual home button, one single movement, without even think in it, in a hurry. Now I need to slide up the lockscreen, which is fast too, but simply not so fast. I need to movement my finger to do that, something I didn't need to do on my 7 Plus. Little thing, maybe not important at all for majority, but for me it's seen a little bit downside until now. I really would prefer to continue with TouchID, at least as an option. Really hoping Apple will come back with it next year, maybe on the new (and bigger) "side button".

For now I think it's all. I still don't consider send it back or change it for another gadget, as I'm with it for so little time. But, until know, for me the greatest thing about this beast is still the gestures, without any doubt!

Last edited:

mtva24

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
My impressions after a week

Bad

-battery life is trash
-Face ID doesn’t always work just like what OP mentioned. Also, I have to turn the phone away, then back for me to unlock from the screen off at least 5 times a day.
-Reachability isn’t that great since the new home thing is too close to the bottom of the phone
-the phone is too skinny and the plus feels more natural, fonts are way too small and it feels like a regular 8.
-I miss Touch ID :(, apps aren’t even optimized for Face ID, and I have to actually punch in my bank and Starbucks passwords
-no battery % in status bar (you have to swipe down right corner)

The good

-Love the display
-don’t mind the gestures
-love the speakers!!!
-wireless charging

Contemplating whether I am gonna swap out for the 8+ and just get the X+ next year. Gotta make my mind up by Monday...

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve had every Plus model with the exception of the iPhone 8 Plus, and I’ve enjoyed using them all. With that in mind, I opted to go with the 4.7” display this time around so I opted to buy the iPhone 8. I love it and didn’t have any complaints about it. Fast forward to the iPhone X. I had no intentions of getting. I don’t need it and I was only interested in the edge to edge display. That’s all. Pre-orders started arriving for customers on Nov. 3rd. I entered an Apple Store on Nov. 4th and purchased the iPhone X on a whim. I’ve made the adjustments to using FaceID and gestures and I find using the iPhone X to be fun. Do I think it’s a disappointment? No I do not. In fact, I think it’s the best iPhone I’ve ever used, but it is not leaps and bounds above the iPhone 8/8Plus.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Bad

-battery life is trash
-Face ID doesn’t always work just like what OP mentioned. Also, I have to turn the phone away, then back for me to unlock from the screen off at least 5 times a day.
-Reachability isn’t that great since the new home thing is too close to the bottom of the phone
-the phone is too skinny and the plus feels more natural, fonts are way too small and it feels like a regular 8.
-I miss Touch ID :(, apps aren’t even optimized for Face ID, and I have to actually punch in my bank and Starbucks passwords

The good

-Love the display
-don’t mind the gestures
-love the speakers!!!
-wireless charging

Contemplating whether I am gonna swap out for the 8+ and just get the X+ next year. Gotta make my mind up by Monday...

Battery life should be right around the same as the Plus, maybe an hour or two tops less. If you’re seeing less than that I would check into your apps.

I would try setting up FaceID again, the better the lighting when you set it up the better the results.

FaceID completely replaces TouchID. They didn’t cover this, but if an app uses TouchID and you activate it on a X it will use FaceID instead.

mtva24

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
Battery life should be right around the same as the Plus, maybe an hour or two tops less. If you’re seeing less than that I would check into your apps.

NOpe, its trash. 24 hrs standby and 5 hrs usage on my X is 0%, same stats on my wife's 8+ is 61%. I go to sleep at 50% on my Pixel 2 XL and I am at 50% by the end of my workday on my iPhone X. Its not much better than the 6s+ i just traded in. Could be trash because of that beautiful Samsung panel installed.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
NOpe, its trash. 24 hrs standby and 4 hrs usage on my X is 0%, same stats on my wife's 8+ is 61%. I go to sleep at 50% on my Pixel 2 XL and I am at 50% by the end of my workday on my iPhone X. Its not much better than the 6s+ i just traded in.

As I stated, check your apps. Apple directly rates it as almost identical to the 8 Plus. You may have apps draining battery, Facebook is terrible about this. Another thing to note is that the X had a OLED display. Black is your friend with OLED. The more black on the screen the less battery is being used, this adds up over time. It’s also why I use the stock plain black background. So far my X has gotten better battery life than the 7 Plus replaced. The X even has a larger battery than the 8 Plus, by 25mah. This is all the more reason to watch your apps to see if anyone of them are draining your battery.

mtva24

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
As I stated, check your apps. Apple directly rates it as almost identical to the 8 Plus. You may have apps draining battery, Facebook is terrible about this. Another thing to note is that the X had a OLED display. Black is your friend with OLED. The more black on the screen the less battery is being used, this adds up over time. It’s also why I use the stock plain black background. So far my X has gotten better battery life than the 7 Plus replaced. The X even has a larger battery than the 8 Plus, by 25mah. This is all the more reason to watch your apps to see if anyone of them are draining your battery.

Well help me out here

nogbIFM.jpg

ZgJwAS8.jpg

lIBAPNF.png

1BwiZec.png

Y2XEToZ.png

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
NOpe, its trash. 24 hrs standby and 5 hrs usage on my X is 0%, same stats on my wife's 8+ is 61%. I go to sleep at 50% on my Pixel 2 XL and I am at 50% by the end of my workday on my iPhone X. Its not much better than the 6s+ i just traded in. Could be trash because of that beautiful Samsung panel installed.

Er...I’m finding it pretty close to my 7 Plus. I took it off charger at 2am and was at the hospital all day, got home at 7pm and was at 32%. That’s with keeping family updated and passing the time browsing while mom was in the OR for 4-5 hours.

That’s not trash. You can’t compare your X to your wife’s 8 Plus. They aren’t the same phone with the exact same setup.

There’s something off in your settings. It’s not simply trash because you declare it so anymore than my declaring the sky is green with polka dots makes it true.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

What apps are at the top of the list? Facebook currently has a known huge battery drain bug on iOS as well. So if you have Facebook I recommend closing it when not in use. I recommend that anyway with Facebook, that includes Instagram or any other service owned by Facebook. Just start with the apps at the top of the battery usage list. Try keeping the top one closed out when not in use and see how it affects battery. Keep doing that until you figure out which app(s) is/are hurting your battery life.

mtva24

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
What apps are at the top of the list? Facebook currently has a known huge battery drain bug on iOS as well. So if you have Facebook I recommend closing it when not in use. I recommend that anyway with Facebook, that includes Instagram or any other service owned by Facebook. Just start with the apps at the top of the battery usage list. Try keeping the top one closed out when not in use and see how it affects battery. Keep doing that until you figure out which app(s) is/are hurting your battery life.

I'd love to respond but the forum keeps blocking my posts

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

Bad

-battery life is trash

The good

-Love the display
-don’t mind the gestures
-love the speakers!!!
-wireless charging

I went to Best Buy last week to check out the X. It looks beautiful, but I have a problem with the width on the screen mostly. Coming from the 7 plus I don’t want to go down in size. This is what the X seems to me.

I have until Tuesday to return the 8 plus but I’m keeping it until next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen