9.3.1 Proximity Sensor issues?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Since my post on a sub forum got askew thought I'd ask here if anyone was having issues with failure of the proximity sensor since updating to 9.3.1? I've suddenly noticed, as I'm on a call that requires me to have the dial pad up to navigate through some voice prompts, that I get the "beep" from a number button being activated when the the side of my face inadvertently makes contact with the screen...and I check to see, and realize that it indeed picked up the number.

This never happened prior to loading this particular update. It's very annoying.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
not on my iPhone or on my wife's 5S.
If the issue persists, try a restore... hoping it isn't the proximity sensor that failed.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Well...I got gray(er) hair holding for Apple Support on the phone so I guess I'll do a restore tomorrow on my Mac at work. I HATE doing that. :(

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Well...I got gray(er) hair holding for Apple Support on the phone so I guess I'll do a restore tomorrow on my Mac at work. I HATE doing that. :(

I would hold off on the restore after the factory reset. Test things with the sensor before the restore. If you still have issues before restoring everything then I would take the phone in to the Genius Bar because it may be a hardware issue.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I would hold off on the restore after the factory reset. Test things with the sensor before the restore. If you still have issues before restoring everything then I would take the phone in to the Genius Bar because it may be a hardware issue.

Did restore as new phone this morning...no change. I'm thinking hardware, but it's very strange that this wasn't an issue until after 9.3.1...

My "local" Apple Store is 300+ miles away...so I'll take it to Simply Mac in the mall tonight and see if they can't fix the issue or replace the phone.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Did restore as new phone this morning...no change. I'm thinking hardware, but it's very strange that this wasn't an issue until after 9.3.1...

My "local" Apple Store is 300+ miles away...so I'll take it to Simply Mac in the mall tonight and see if they can't fix the issue or replace the phone.
Did you restore as new without any third party app installed ?
If so, it's definitely hardware....

The iOS 9.3.1 "issue" could be just coincidental....

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Did you restore as new without any third party app installed ?
If so, it's definitely hardware....

The iOS 9.3.1 "issue" could be just coincidental....

Turns out it was, probably. I wound up having Verizon replace the device, and the replacement phone works perfectly so far. They tested the sensor into the store & it was not working. Strange that it happened the day of my updating the software, but it (like you said) might have been a coincidence.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Turns out it was, probably. I wound up having Verizon replace the device, and the replacement phone works perfectly so far. They tested the sensor into the store & it was not working. Strange that it happened the day of my updating the software, but it (like you said) might have been a coincidence.
It might not be the case, but sometimes new software versions just expose defects already present but not triggered by previous software.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW