8 months later - Update on switching to iPhone 7+ 256GB after 10 years Exclusively on Android flagsh

Soreloser

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I had an iPhone 3GS years ago, and used Android based phones for about 6 years. Having said that, I have recently (2 months as of this writing) returned to an iPhone. I went with the 7+ for a number of reasons. My daughter had the 6+ and while she really liked it, she switched to the 7+ for the same reasons you listed: better camera, better cpu, and water resistance. She also added better battery for her reasons for switching.

I can say that the battery life of the 7+ is amazing. I took mine off the charger yesterday morning at 6 AM. right now, 34 and 1/2 hours later my battery is at 68%. I have gone as long as 60 hours between charges.

The camera is awesome. I learn more about it with every use. Same with ios itself. It seems like I learn a new feature daily.

The biggest drawback for me coming from android is the lack of customization that ios allows. I would love to be able to change icon size as well as number of icons in a row or column. The other thing that drives me crazy is not having a way to set volume for media, alarms, music notifications etc very easily.

Overall, I really like the 7+. I like the battery life, the camera, the water resistance and the very timely updates. I really like iMessage. The phone is fast...very fast. I don't think you will regret getting one.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I was worried about this coming from 3 years of android but using swipe to go back is more than fine, For me anyway.

Does that work systemwide or only in certain apps like the browser?

I can say that the battery life of the 7+ is amazing. I took mine off the charger yesterday morning at 6 AM. right now, 34 and 1/2 hours later my battery is at 68%. I have gone as long as 60 hours between charges.

That is awesome. Exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear to convince me to switch. My wife's five year old iPad still gets insane battery life, but I didn't know how well iPhones did (always heard iPhones had terrible battery life until recently). The only phone I've had that got similar battery stats is the LG G2.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Does that work systemwide or only in certain apps like the browser?

I don't think it's completely system wide like back in on android, but in my experience it works on 98% of the system (two apps I use don't support it). Also swiping takes 'More work' than back button, so theres that too...but, I'm still happy with the way it works and already used to it in a week.

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I think what gets people is the beauty of the Android phones coming out. The S8 is the nicest looking phone I have ever seen. People WANT to like it, but end up realizing the software just isn't on par with iOS.
Beauty is subjective, I guess. To me the new Sammy phones are not that attractive, particularly the S8. For my taste the most attractive new device is the Blackberry Keyone, followed by the classic look of the iPhone SE. However, I use an SE so I'm a bit partial lol. But the S8? Just a slab. And with Undroid to boot. Ugh.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Beauty is subjective, I guess. To me the new Sammy phones are not that attractive, particularly the S8. For my taste the most attractive new device is the Blackberry Keyone, followed by the classic look of the iPhone SE. However, I use an SE so I'm a bit partial lol. But the S8? Just a slab. And with Undroid to boot. Ugh.

Agree to an extent not a fan of the off center fingerprint sensor on the back. Just really never been a big fan of the camera placement on all Sammy's

Last edited:

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I tried to put into perspective how far behind my LG V20 is on security updates and added up all of the vulnerabilities on Google's security bulletin Web site. Since I don't have the monthly updates from January to April my phone has 284 potential vulnerabilities (70 critical) and 6 hardware-specific vulnerabilities (1 critical). The May security patch should be just around the corner too. I'm not sure if ALL vulnerabilities apply to EVERY version of Android or how to interpret this data, but it seems quite high. :biggrin: It would be nice to see someone interpret this data that is an expert so I don't jump to too many conclusions (do I have the phone version of leaving my door unlocked at night?) Anyway, I think I may be making the big switch soon.

I don't think it's completely system wide like back in on android, but in my experience it works on 98% of the system (two apps I use don't support it). Also swiping takes 'More work' than back button, so theres that too...but, I'm still happy with the way it works and already used to it in a week.

Sounds like that is a good alternative to the back button. I'll give it a try on my wife's iPad.

For my taste the most attractive new device is the Blackberry Keyone,

I like the look of the KEYone too. Too bad a phone being sold on keyboard and security won't get any security updates from the carriers.

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
. . . . . I like the look of the KEYone too. Too bad a phone being sold on keyboard and security won't get any security updates from the carriers.
Which is why I opted for the iPhone SE instead of the Blackberry. Both buck the current smartphone appearance and massive size trend, but the Apple device is hands down a better phone -- even in areas where BB used to excel.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I think the 7+ is a beautiful phone. I am impressed. I like flat screen colors are decent. Camera is awesome sound quality is great. Battery is the best.
Rose gold is elegant. Love it. Cases I use are gorgeous too. Feels good in my hands

dgwphotography

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I was a longtime Android user (8 years), and I swore I would never switch.

I switched 3 months ago to a 7plus, and couldn't be happier. I do miss few things about android however:

1. The ability to create a ringtone without jumping through hoops in iTunes
  2. An icon letting me know that I have unread notifications would be nice

The positives far outweigh the few negatives, and I am amazed with the camera, battery life, and screen quality.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I was a longtime Android user (8 years), and I swore I would never switch.

I switched 3 months ago to a 7plus, and couldn't be happier. I do miss few things about android however:

1. The ability to create a ringtone without jumping through hoops in iTunes
  2. An icon letting me know that I have unread notifications would be nice

The positives far outweigh the few negatives, and I am amazed with the camera, battery life, and screen quality.

You sound like me. it's nice not being tempted to want to change everything all the time. Haha

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I think what gets people is the beauty of the Android phones coming out. The S8 is the nicest looking phone I have ever seen. People WANT to like it, but end up realizing the software just isn't on par with iOS.

Using both simultaneously for several years I'd say this is backwards. Android as an OS is far superior to iOS.

jdlnmia

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Using both simultaneously for several years I'd say this is backwards. Android as an OS is far superior to iOS.

On what basis? By every objective measure, from development tools to resource efficiency iOS outstrips Android every time. Don't get it twisted.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I find iOS a lot smoother than Android. My apps are better. Everything is more fluid . Quicker. No lag. No freezing. updates don't make the battery falter. Don't have to do a factory reset when there is an update like I had to do with Android. So much better.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Which OS is superior is definitely subjective. I like a lot of things about Android and iOS. They are becoming more and more alike with each passing update. That's great for someone like me that thinks that iOS is superior in some ways and android is superior in others.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Which OS is superior is definitely subjective. I like a lot of things about Android and iOS. They are becoming more and more alike with each passing update. That's great for someone like me that thinks that iOS is superior in some ways and android is superior in others.
Exactly! I've never had any lagging or battery issues on any of my Androids. Now on my iPhones that's a different story.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
updates don't make the battery falter. Don't have to do a factory reset when there is an update like I had to do with Android. So much better.

This I have to disagree with. There are many threads - here and elsewhere on the 'net - that complain about the iPhone's battery hit following updates. And one of the many suggestions the "experts" make when it happens is to do a factory reset.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! I've never had any lagging or battery issues on any of my Androids. Now on my iPhones that's a different story.

I have been very fortunate to have good experiences with both android and iOS. I have had similar issues on both at times, but nothing to really complain about. I could have made any phone that I have used in the past 3-4 years (probably 15-16 different phones) my only phone and been very happy. I just liked trying different phones so I did. I have settled down since then and have been on the 7 Plus for almost 7 months. The next android phone that will tempt me will be the Note or maybe the Pixel 2. I will wait for everyone to have their announcements before deciding if I will go back to android. I am very happy with my 7 Plus and have no issue with sticking with it for as long as needed.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have been very fortunate to have good experiences with both android and iOS. I have had similar issues on both at times, but nothing to really complain about. I could have made any phone that I have used in the past 3-4 years (probably 15-16 different phones) my only phone and been very happy. I just liked trying different phones so I did. I have settled down since then and have been on the 7 Plus for almost 7 months. The next android phone that will tempt me will be the Note or maybe the Pixel 2. I will wait for everyone to have their announcements before deciding if I will go back to android. I am very happy with my 7 Plus and have no issue with sticking with it for as long as needed.

I am waiting to see what the Note 8 and Pixel 2 bring to the table, because I do like my Pixel XL. My iPhone 7 Plus has been good for the most part, but I've been having issues with my camera, and I've had my phone switched and I'm still having the same issues.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I am waiting to see what the Note 8 and Pixel 2 bring to the table, because I do like my Pixel XL. My iPhone 7 Plus has been good for the most part, but I've been having issues with my camera, and I've had my phone switched and I'm still having the same issues.

What issues are you having with your camera?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen