5C ain't cutting it anymore

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
So in February 2014 I got an iPhone 5c and it is been absolutely perfect until iOS 10 was put on it, freezing, crashing, laggy and slowdowns and occasionally taking five seconds to load apps after pressing the home button. Well I put up with all of that until last night when something else worse happened. I was removing a few apps and putting them back to make some memory space, and Facebook is the big one. And reinstalling Facebook crashed my 5C and put it in a continual reboot mode with the Apple logo showing, this could not be stopped after attempted re-boots or anything. All last night I left it unplugged hoping the battery will drain and it would reboot or whatever. When I plugged it in the same thing happened. I do not have a PC anymore so I had to go to an electronics repair shop that I know and for $25 they were able to unfreeze it after three hours! They told me I can't do too much with it and bigger apps in multitasking might cause trouble for it as it's an older device now.

I have talked with 2 neighbours and even with newer iPhones they seem to be having issues with ios10.

Anyway I can get an iPhone SE for zero dollars if I trade my old 5C I can get the 64GB SE. If I do not trade at Bestbuy then I can still get it for zero dollars but the 16GB version, so obviously I will trade!

Will be looking foreword to hearing and reading how people are getting along with this device. I want another 4 inch iPhone because I can still use the hip holster case I bought in leather that was for a Blackberry z30 I believe. No idea what I will do for a case though but I read the 5S cases fit perfectly?

Last edited:

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Yep the 5s cases will fit the SE. Sorry to hear about the problems you had with your 5c. I just upgraded my wife's phone from a 5 to a 6. Although the 5 was running iOS 10 without any issues. I suggest going for the larger storage phone as you can never have enough. The SE will run real smooth for you. I would set it up as a new phone. This way if you had any bugs in you 5c you don't carry them over to your new SE. Good luck and update us please.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Yep the 5s cases will fit the SE. Sorry to hear about the problems you had with your 5c. I just upgraded my wife's phone from a 5 to a 6. Although the 5 was running iOS 10 without any issues. I suggest going for the larger storage phone as you can never have enough. The SE will run real smooth for you. I would set it up as a new phone. This way if you had any bugs in you 5c you don't carry them over to your new SE. Good luck and update us please.

Thanks and good point about setting up as a new device but the thought of going through all 3 email setups again lol

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes I know. I usually set my phones up new. Even though I have never had issues with any. I also don't keep my phones longer than 2 years. I still have my 5 as a backup, but it only has the minimal on it. Email and such. Just ask on the forums if you run into any issues.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Yes I know. I usually set my phones up new. Even though I have never had issues with any. I also don't keep my phones longer than 2 years. I still have my 5 as a backup, but it only has the minimal on it. Email and such. Just ask on the forums if you run into any issues.

If I set up as a NEW iPhone, I can still use my same Apple ID and PW right?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like part of the 5c issue may have been a tired old battery. My Wife still uses the 5c. It's on iOS 10 and doing fine. She doesn't have a lot on her phone. It's a 32 gb with 18 gb available. Her battery is at 93% health. She doesn't want to upgrade.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
That's what I wanted to hear!

As for the battery it is only about 3 months old. I had my favourite electronics repair shop put a new battery into it and it cost $50. That's why it is a shame I will not be getting my $ out of it and I fully expected to be able to use it another year or so. (This is the same shop that unfroze my 5C yesterday). I even bought a 9790 in 2013 there so they know me pretty well.

I was having issues with the original battery dying with about 20% life remaining and now it will run right down to 1% and no issues.

I'm thinking that if I can't even run Facebook on it (easily the most updated and huge app available) then what is the point of having an iphone 5C.

Talked to yet another guy at a cafe today, he had a white 5C, cracked screen, and he said he only puts a few apps on his, Facebook is not one of them, and he has no issues with it. Man it looked like it went through a war zone. I think I will give him my old case just out of pity haha.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My aunt and cousin are each still using an iPhone 5c. Neither has complained about battery life or how iOS 10 runs on their phones (then again, my aunt's 5c is actually her first smartphone so she has nothing to compare it to). To the OP, I think that was a good move in getting an SE. My boyfriend upgraded to one from the 5s back in August and is very happy with it. He swears by the battery life and is always texting, using Facebook, playing games (including battery hog Pokemon GO) and more. Hope you're enjoying the new phone!

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback all! I think maybe a big part of the problem was that I had 45 apps on it but I was suprised that I had about 2.5 GB's free space still on it. That was more space than with ios9, BUT ios 9 ran much smoother, and without any lag.

Well here is the update: I WILL be getting the SE but they are still out of stock right now. So in the meantime I got my Blackberry 9900 running again and fully functioning. I had to call Rogers to have the old Blackberry Service Books sent to it haha and the girl at Rogers was amazing. She remembered how to do this because she said when she started at Rogers 5 years ago all she did was Blackberries, she said. Also interesting was the fact she said I was the first Blackberry customer she heard from in about a year.

So I might just run this old phone longer but either way I still will miss my apps eventually. Like Snapchat and yes I was on level 17 I think.....on Pokemon.

I guess if I set up as new I would lose my progress. Hopefully if I DO set up from icloud it would do my emails and settings because I remember having some issues regarding having to call Rogers to know which "port numbers" to enter, etc.

So we will see.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback all! I think maybe a big part of the problem was that I had 45 apps on it but I was suprised that I had about 2.5 GB's free space still on it. That was more space than with ios9, BUT ios 9 ran much smoother, and without any lag.

Well here is the update: I WILL be getting the SE but they are still out of stock right now. So in the meantime I got my Blackberry 9900 running again and fully functioning. I had to call Rogers to have the old Blackberry Service Books sent to it haha and the girl at Rogers was amazing. She remembered how to do this because she said when she started at Rogers 5 years ago all she did was Blackberries, she said. Also interesting was the fact she said I was the first Blackberry customer she heard from in about a year.

So I might just run this old phone longer but either way I still will miss my apps eventually. Like Snapchat and yes I was on level 17 I think.....on Pokemon.

I guess if I set up as new I would lose my progress. Hopefully if I DO set up from icloud it would do my emails and settings because I remember having some issues regarding having to call Rogers to know which "port numbers" to enter, etc.

So we will see.

iCloud or even iTunes backup will take care of your emails and settings, literally. It would be like nothing changed, almost.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't bother with a PC anymore, so it would have to be icloud. I can't remember if I can use icloud for ONLY restoring emails and not any apps. I would rather just re-install the apps from scratch.

You have to wonder WHY Facebook and FB Messenger absolutely MUST send a massive 100MB update about every what.....7-10 days????? I really think this is what strained the 5C to the breaking point. People I talk to with even older 4S's don't have the problem I did if they have no FB or less apps than I had.

Just spitballing here, and trying to figure out for myself the reason for the crash and endless reboot I had. I'm thinking it has to be a combo of Facebook's massive app updates, Ios 10 being laggy (may or may not have been caused by Facebook) and the lack of speed from an older processor (but this doesn't explain why older devices or other 5C's run super smooth still)

Remember, when I had the crash it was Facebook I was reinstalling.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Looks like iOS 10.1 just came out and I read that it is supposed to stabilize how bloaty iOS 10 was. I just installed it on my iPad Air and it does seem like smoother scrolling on Twitter and swiping on the home pages.

I might try it on the iPhone 5C to see if it solves my issue, but it is a gamble. Maybe it will "settle" the 5C a bit and I can get my money's worth out of that new battery I had installed after all.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Took about an hour and a half to reinstall all my apps from iCloud but iOS 10.1.1 seems to be stable now. So I'm gonna run out this 5C for a while and see if it jams again or not.

SE is still my next phone don't worry ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice