4s takes a beating...

Ih8reno

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Anyone here notice the complaints coming in from 5 buyers? Is it just me or was the change to aluminum seem obvious to get a lot of damage?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There will be complaints regarding any new device. All of the newer devices will not be perfect and without blemish. Furthermore, a small percentage of customer will have to return/replace their new device and many of those people end up being satisfied customers afterwards. This happens with almost every launch. It goes with the territory.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
There is a video on ifixit where they do a scratch test with a 2 year old and a set of keys rubbed against the 5 and the 4/4s and also a stainless steel ring. iPhone 4/4s wins hands downs. The 5 was beat to hell.The 4 sustain no noticeable damage.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
They way I look at it if I was the kind of person who dropped my phone a lot I would rather have a beat up back that's made of metal then shatter my 4s all the time

Just to note I have never dropped of broke any of my iPhones lol

Beamed from my iPad 2 routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers and brought to you using Tapatalk !

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had every version of iPhone except the 5. The original iPhone metal back never used a case still have it. After 5 years and 2 in the field the back is beat up. The screen looks brand new because I always used a screen protector.

The 3Gs I had. Plastic back. Now I got most of the back casing wear from a case. Debris would get caught between the case and phone and scratch the hell out of it.

The 4s I have now has been in a case from day one. I use a mophie when I travel and a case crown when I'm home. I periodically check it for any wear from the cases and there is none that I can see. I see a bunch of 4/4s out there with shattered backs.

One thing about the original iPhone is that the bezel around the screen which I assuming is metal held up incredibly well for never having it in a case. No dings or scratches and this phone was dropped quite a few times mostly by folks wanting to see it when it first came out.

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
There's definitely a defect in the anodized coating since so many people are finding them chipped out of the box.. I'm glad I waited, cue fanboys to tell us chipped/dented/scratched phones are normal out of the box in 3,2,1...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm anxious to see how the iPhone 5 will hold over time specifically the black one which is the one I absolutely love because of the black bands. I wonder if the color coating doesn't hold up will Apple go back to silver bands on the black model on the next model.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
There's definitely a defect in the anodized coating since so many people are finding them chipped out of the box.. I'm glad I waited, cue fanboys to tell us chipped/dented/scratched phones are normal out of the box in 3,2,1...

lol, actually it will be called the new look - "distressed"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1