4S issues after installing iOS6

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
It has been about 2 weeks since I installed iOS6 on my 4s. My phone is about a year old. I never had any issues with this phone. Ever since the upgrade, the phone is slow, jerky and at times unresponsive. Here are a few examples of what I am dealing with

When the phone is sleeping. It sometimes takes 5-10 seconds to respond when I touch the home key
Connecting to bluetooth in the car. It used to be instant. Now, it takes about 15-20 seconds for a song to start playing
I have a USB dock in my car to listen to music through the radio. It does not work now that I have updated the iOS
When I receive a phone call in the car, it will allow me to answer the call, but it will not ever connect. It does this on every initial call. The caller always has to call back, then it works fine
(These last three issues might be due to Ford Sync. But considering I have other issues with the phone running slow, I am thinking this is a iOS issue)

Sending emails. I just typed a 2 sentence email. I hit send, put the phone on the desk. About 30 seconds later, I heard the sound of the email being sent
Several of the apps just lock up and become unresponsive. Here are some that I had to restart yesterday after they locked up (Y Messenger, Music, and safari)

More often, the phone is just very slow to respond. I find that I am hitting buttons several times before I get any response, then like those responses were built up, they all come at once. It reminds me of a dam holding back water, then it all just lets go.

I have re installed twice
I installed fresh

anyone else having any similar issues?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 4S is very responsive with iOS 6 and so is my iPad 2. I have noticed a few quirks with iOS 6, but nothing like you're describing. The quirk that comes up regularly is an app closes and returns me to my home screen at random times. It doesn't occur enough to cause irritation, but it does occur. Other than that, my device is sweet. Have you considered connecting your device to a computer and restore it as new via iTunes? That is what I recommend you do.

plt3121MarineAlways

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the slowness issue as well. Specially when I send a text and hit the home button to get out of the message app it just hangs for a few seconds then it goes home. Very annoying.

HuKaShI

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have similar issues on my 4s. I have random crashes of apps.

My wifi connection is spotty. I have tried tests with other people's phone's on my home wifi network and they all differ. Even with someone on iOS 5, and they have rock solid connection to my network. Wifi drops out completely sometimes and forgets which network to reconnect to until I tell it to connect to my home network again. This is without having to put my wifi password back in so it just seems to forget where it is. Speed tests give mixed results as opposed to stable consecutive results from my mac book.

Sometimes my volume stays stuck at high or low levels randomly until I reboot.

I get random times when text shortcuts stop working until I reboot.

Auto brightness is dodgy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I had the phone shut down and restart on it's own a handful of times.

The same delayed response time for pressed buttons.

Locking the phone, the sound used to come pretty much instantaneously. Now it takes almost 2 seconds.

This is all after I had done a fresh install after the first upgrade.So suffice it to say, I am waiting patiently for 6.0.1

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have similar issues on my 4s. I have random crashes of apps.

My wifi connection is spotty. I have tried tests with other people's phone's on my home wifi network and they all differ. Even with someone on iOS 5, and they have rock solid connection to my network. Wifi drops out completely sometimes and forgets which network to reconnect to until I tell it to connect to my home network again. This is without having to put my wifi password back in so it just seems to forget where it is. Speed tests give mixed results as opposed to stable consecutive results from my mac book.

Sometimes my volume stays stuck at high or low levels randomly until I reboot.

I get random times when text shortcuts stop working until I reboot.

Auto brightness is dodgy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I had the phone shut down and restart on it's own a handful of times.

The same delayed response time for pressed buttons.

Locking the phone, the sound used to come pretty much instantaneously. Now it takes almost 2 seconds.

This is all after I had done a fresh install after the first upgrade.So suffice it to say, I am waiting patiently for 6.0.1

You and plt3121MarineAlways should really consider restoring your devices as new via iTunes. It will download and install a fresh copy of iOS 6 that will hopefully fix the issues the both of you are having.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
My iPhone 4S is very responsive with iOS 6 and so is my iPad 2. I have noticed a few quirks with iOS 6, but nothing like you're describing. The quirk that comes up regularly is an app closes and returns me to my home screen at random times. It doesn't occur enough to cause irritation, but it does occur. Other than that, my device is sweet. Have you considered connecting your device to a computer and restore it as new via iTunes? That is what I recommend you do.

JMD,
This issue went away with a restore as new for me.
But now I have the double notification of emails.
Still have the auto-lock not auto-locking issue.
Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
JMD,
This issue went away with a restore as new for me.
Excellent :)
But now I have the double notification of emails.
That is irritating me because I can't replicate the problem. I had the double alert tone when I first updated to iOS 5 (I think), but for the life if me, I can't recall what I did to solve it, but I thought I found the answer here in these forums somewhere.
Still have the auto-lock not auto-locking issue.
Good Luck
I'm not familiar with this issue. Anyway, my settings are as follows:

Settings / General / Auto-Lock = 1 minute

Settings / General / Passcode Lock = ON

Settings / General / Passcode Lock / Require Passcode = Immediately

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Excellent :)
That is irritating me because I can't replicate the problem. I had the double alert tone when I first updated to iOS 5 (I think), but for the life if me, I can't recall what I did to solve it, but I thought I found the answer here in these forums somewhere.
I'm not familiar with this issue. Anyway, my settings are as follows:

Settings / General / Auto-Lock = 1 minute

Settings / General / Passcode Lock = ON

Settings / General / Passcode Lock / Require Passcode = Immediately

Tks JMD
I don't use Passcode Lock, but thanks anyway for your settings.
Good Luck

declanz34

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The author is very intelligent and he covered all the things which are necessary to explain for here,that's why I learnt a lot of things by his work.The author is very intelligent and he covered all the things which are necessary to explain for here,that's why I learnt a lot of things by his work.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The author is very intelligent and he covered all the things which are necessary to explain for here,that's why I learnt a lot of things by his work.The author is very intelligent and he covered all the things which are necessary to explain for here,that's why I learnt a lot of things by his work.

Huh? What author and work are you referring to?

Just Me, D