3G screen repair.

dowork99

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I have a 3G iphone that needs outer screen repair. The LCD and touch capability are fine, but I just need an outside screen. Obviously, Apple won't repair it, and just want me to buy a new phone, so I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone before, how they handled it, and if you sent it away to get it fixed which place is the best, considering that'll be what I have to do.

sturamsden

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I don't know about a place that you could send your iPhone into to get it repaired but if you're not squeamish about opening up your phone and getting your hands dirty then this site will definitely help you: (sorry, url was removed because I don't have enough posts. Really weird. PM me if you want it or I will edit it back into this post once I have enough posts under my belt.)

They give you a walkthrough of how to dismantle all the components in an iPhone. If you go to their store section they also offer replacement screens, face plates, etc. This probably means that you will have to do a self install although I haven't investigated if they will do the repair for you.

You basically have to weigh up the options; buy a replacement screen and run the risk of installing it yourself or buy a whole new iPhone. I know what I would choose.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If you don't have any idea of what you are doing I'd say do not even attempt to open up your 3g. It's not that easy for someone with zero experience.

sturamsden

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
The thing is this guy is being told he must buy a new iPhone, I think it must be worth the risk. If you never try, you'll never learn.

If you ever open any electronic device, take your time, be prepared (have the right tools) and always make sure you can put it back together again!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'd be pretty worried about opening up the iPhone. Just consider what u payed for your current one and what u would pay for a new one.

dowork99

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm definitely not going to do it myself. I was just looking for anyone that had any experience with any of the places that fix it for you.

sturamsden

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Never used these guys so I don't know if they are any good but they have an impressive site and prices. The screen is going to be expensive though but it might be your only option:

Speedy Apple iPhone Repairs Speedy Apple iPhone Repairs

If Im not mistaken, on that site it's going to cost you $199 dollars just for a new screen which is the same price that you pay for a new one when you sign up with AT&T. I don't live in the US so I don't know how the AT&T/Apple phone replacement works but surely they aren't going to charge you more than what it cost to buy the phone in the first place?!

rats13

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
If Im not mistaken, on that site it's going to cost you $199 dollars just for a new screen which is the same price that you pay for a new one when you sign up with AT&T. I don't live in the US so I don't know how the AT&T/Apple phone replacement works but surely they aren't going to charge you more than what it cost to buy the phone in the first place?!

I think a new one will cost $499. He's already gotten a subsidized one so the next replacement one is full freight.

At least that is what the lady in line behind me at the Apple Store said. She had lost 2 so far :eek:

dowork99

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
That is exactly what they told me, $499, so getting it fixed for $150 is a little more manageable than getting the new one. I sent it away today to get it fixed so hopefully I'll have a positive update and a good review when I get it back.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
That is exactly what they told me, $499, so getting it fixed for $150 is a little more manageable than getting the new one. I sent it away today to get it fixed so hopefully I'll have a positive update and a good review when I get it back.

Definitely let us know how it goes!

Chill0987

May 19, 2009
www.iphone3gscreenrepair.com
iPhone 3G Screen Repair

I recently broke the screen on my phone and tried to get it fixed only to find out that apple wanted 299 to repair my phone. I then heard about a company iphone3gscreenrepair, that offered the same service for a cracked/broken screen for only $75! I was a little weary of sending my phone in, but I am really happy I did because it looks JUST LIKE NEW!
-Jeremy

Chill0987

May 19, 2009
www.iphone3gscreenrepair.com
I recently broke the screen on my phone and tried to get it fixed only to find out that apple wanted 299 to repair my phone. I then heard about a company www.iphone3gscreenrepair.com, that offered the same service for a cracked/broken screen for only $75! I was a little weary of sending my phone in, but I am really happy I did because it looks JUST LIKE NEW!
-Jeremy

joel

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
my brother cracked his pretty bad. he found someone on craigs list that fixed it for $50 locally. (houston) But it also had the self vibrating problem so the next week he took it in to the apple store and got a new one under warranty.

lesson: check craigs list.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73