3/28/18 ios update killed iphone 8 touch screen

roykirk

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
I'm an iPhone 8 Plus user and about 3 weeks ago I had my screen replaced at a local repair shop after cracking it. I'm assuming they used a 3rd party screen. It was working great until the 11.3 ios update of 3/28/18. I woke up in the morning to find a message saying my phone had been updated. Quickly found out my touch screen was dead when I attempted to enter my passcode. Made several hard resets to no avail. Also tried restoring from my most recent iTunes backup and also used iTunes to reset phone to factory settings. Touch screen still dead.

I took my phone back to the repair shop and they said it was definitely due to the most recent update as they'd already had a "flood" of recent repair customers come in for the same reason. They said there was little that could be done until Apple issued another update/fix. The only suggestion they had was to "downgrade" my ios to the previous version. I see no option to do this in iTunes and in any case I don't like it because it's just a temporary fix.

So, I saw this problem pop up a few times in the forums back in September of 2017 following an ios update, but it seems everyone proclaimed the problem solved after Apple issued a fix. Now this seems to be a new/old problem concerning the same issue. Any ideas on things I can try, or am I stuck waiting until Apple recognizes the problem and issues a fix?

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I guess you have to go to Apple store to replace the screen now. My niece also has iPhone SE after market screen and I wonder it will also affect her touch screen.

roykirk

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
That's what I was afraid might be the only solution. I was hoping there might be a way to avoid that, but perhaps not. On the plus side, at least the repair shop has offered to refund my screen replacement. I'm typically the last person to advocate for this, but others reading this might want to think twice about having any third party parts used to repair their iPhones. It would appear Apple is intent on disabling those wherever possible.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Was the repair shop a certified Apple repair shop with certified Apple repair technicians? If not, that may explain the issue. Your warranty would also be toast.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am not happy with this latest update. And my issues are different. Certain apps are wonky and I have to continue uninstall and reinstall. It’s frustrating

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
That is one of the biggest reasons that I purchased me a second iPad pro. When I updated to one of the 11 updates some of my applications would not work anymore.

I see this.
5d78bd3b96345c3d66f83ab173da536f.jpg

These application do not seem to get updated. So I purchased me the other iPad with the 10.1.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro