2GB of Ram performance wise.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
So i am finally happy to hear Apple has added 2GB of ram for the new iPhone. My question is is their a huge difference in performance and multi tasking wise compared to the iPhone 6?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There is a noticeable difference between the two, yes...but this shouldn't be surprising, along with 2GB of RAM, you got a brand new chip set and optimized OS variant.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes... and I'd even capitalize HUGE. The best example of this IMO are Safari tabs... prior to the 6s/6s+ when you surfed away from a Safari tab that page would have to be immediately dumped to accommodate the new tab. Which means if you surfed back the first page would have to load from scratch again. Every. Single. Time.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
There is a noticeable difference between the two, yes...but this shouldn't be surprising, along with 2GB of RAM, you got a brand new chip set and optimized OS variant.

This. +1,000

Huuuuuuuuuge difference in performance. For example, no stutter/lag at all on app switcher on the 6S, but there was stutter/lag when I was running iOS 9 on my 6. Also, webpages and apps stay in memory much, much longer. There is far less waiting for everything to load when after a significant amount of time.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I'd say it's impossible to say how much of the difference is RAM versus CPU vs GPU. I'm sure all contribute.

I'd say a lot is the RAM. Just look at how smooth iOS 9 is on the iPad Air with 2 GB of RAM on the A8x chipset, but there is some stuttering and lagging on the A8 in the 6 and 6+. Not a software or computer engineer, but I'd bet the difference is more on the RAM and not on the chipset.