2011 MacBook Pro refurb issue

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Got me a 2011 MacBook Pro refurb from bestbuy mdl A1286 I believe. Replaced the hdd with a 500Gb solid state and also swapped out the memory to 8Gb from 4Gb. That helped non with the issue, but does have good speed when all works. Problem is it seems as if I have to do an SMC reset all the time. It slows to a crawl as if the cpu has been throttled back to the dark ages. Temps look good too. Hardware diagnostics passes everything. Highest I have seen cpu is around 60c, memory 52c, ssd 36c. I do see the kernel is running at 6 hundred something every time it happens. Not sure why, but when I reset SMC the kernel is below 50%. Could it be I need to tear down and redo the thermal paste? Or is this a bug in high Sierra?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Which OS model are you running on the MAcBook?
2. Are you dual booting it with Windows or another OS?
3. Did you install the OS from scratch?

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Just high Sierra and yes install from scratch. Checked clock speed and it is at 800Mhz for some reason. Although that may be because it’s not being used much. It’s the constant SMC reset that baffles me. The charge cycles say 3 in system info. Should the fans be running if the cpu temp is 50 degrees celsius? I’m wondering if that’s triggering the throttle. There’s nothing running when it does this.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Well the refurbished job was non existent! Pulled the logic board and the thermal paste was dried up bad. So far it’s running good.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope it locked at 800Mhz. May be the battery is not right. It is new, but may not be an apple battery. Gotta find some software to watch the battery and see if it’s stable.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope it locked at 800Mhz. May be the battery is not right. It is new, but may not be an apple battery. Gotta find some software to watch the battery and see if it’s stable.

You may be into something. Please keep us updated, if you don’t mind.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok bypasses the SMC. Full core capacity but fans run wide open and there are no sensors being used. Anyone know what software I can use to check all sensors? The diagnostic system says everything is fine. Obviously there is a problem. Well funny the battery icon is gone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2