128gb SSD enough?

louisfutbol

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I am a 8th grader and I want to buy a new or refurbished MacBook Air or pro and I'm wondering if 128gb would be enough? Here is what I think I would do on the computer.
Homework is probably the main thing I'm going to use the computer for which basically consists of researching, math which I do on a online math program, typing on Google docs, and lastly using google slides for presentations. I would also use it for browsing, some movie editing and photo editing. My photos I keep on the cloud except for a few which are meaningful for me and same goes for the videos. I'm not into gaming so I will not download any. Please tell me if 128 is enough because since I'm an 8th grader the 200 dollars upgrade for 256 is pretty much money for me. Also would an iPad pro 32GB with apples keyboard be a better for what I am planing to do? Thanks.

andrwstw

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like most of the things you will do are stored in the cloud, so you won't need much local storage. Google docs and slides are stored in the cloud, and the math program is done online. Depending on how much movie/photo editing you do, you might need more local storage, but if you do that just a little, then 128gb is plenty. It doesn't sound like you'll need the 256gb. Your activities also sound very suitable to only using an iPad Pro, and 32gb might be enough (again depending on how much movie/photo editing you do). It's completely up to you, but the things you'll do with the device do not depend on a large amount of local storage. I would just try to think about how your needs may change as you enter high school. Hopefully, this device will last you for a few years, so you will need to consider whether you might need more storage in the future. If you do anticipate this, then a MacBook Air might be better than an iPad Pro. Good luck on your decision!

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
My MBP retina has 128 gigs storage. My usage is quite similar to yours. Except that I also store some music for regular listening. Almost all my docs are on Dropbox or GoogleDrive. And I got a few external HDDs for backup files and movies.

Up until now I've had no problems with storage. From what you have mentioned I believe you'll be fine with 128gigs. Although it might feel like an iPad will suffice, I strongly think the MacBook will be a better option in the long run. Anyway, good luck with what you decide and do let us know. Cheers!

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
HD video gobbles up space. This is the issue I have with my MBP (256 gb). All my apps and games take up 1/3 of that and would comfortably fit in 128 GB.

If it's your one and only computer, be prepared with some external storage for data like big movie files but really 128 GB is enough if you consider what you need and don't just leave every bit of junk you download on the machine.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think 128Gb is too small for the only hard drive in any computer, regardless of what you intend on using it for.

Pretty quickly you'll find a need to store stuff locally and you'll find out that in no short order, 128Gb will be insufficient for your needs.

I would go with a 256Gb drive if you can otherwise prepare for a lot of juggling of info in and out of cloud storage.

This is just my personal opinion, of course.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I think 128Gb is too small for the only hard drive in any computer, regardless of what you intend on using it for.

Pretty quickly you'll find a need to store stuff locally and you'll find out that in no short order, 128Gb will be insufficient for your needs.

I would go with a 256Gb drive if you can otherwise prepare for a lot of juggling of info in and out of cloud storage.

This is just my personal opinion, of course.

I completely agree with you. I have 3 external HDDs and most of my documents and photos in various cloud services. It was a choice I made since I couldn't really afford a 256 gb drive when I got my MacBook. So, although I don't mind, it can be a bit of a hassle for some.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I decided to exchange my 128gb Macbook Pro last night before bestbuy sale ended and got a 256gb one of only $220 more. In total i spent $1,400 including sales tax so I am happy with the device.

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
My usage is similar and 128gb has been fine in my MBA. As my photo library increased, I started to get close to capacity so I bought a Transcend JetDrive. It was a nice cheap way to add 64gb of capacity and hides away completely in the SD slot - I now don't notice it's there! Save the money on a bigger SSD and go this way if you find you need the extra space..

iMoreAppImg_20160110_232501.jpg

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
My usage is similar and 128gb has been fine in my MBA. As my photo library increased, I started to get close to capacity so I bought a Transcend JetDrive. It was a nice cheap way to add 64gb of capacity and hides away completely in the SD slot - I now don't notice it's there! Save the money on a bigger SSD and go this way if you find you need the extra space..

View attachment 100757

Yeah somebody from MacRumors Forums suggested that and I'll probably still get one even though now I got a 256gb hdd but I prefer internal storage because it's faster and don't have to worry about is it docked or not.

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with speed or docking. When accessing files on the memory card, there's no lag whether it be a word document or video that I'm opening. With regard to docking, it doesn't enter my mind - it's always docked - after restarts and sleep/wakes.

jerrykur

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree with TripleOne. iPads are better for consuming content, MacBooks are better to creating content.

This is specially true if you take any programming classes in school.

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I use my old MacBook Pro for office tasks, and limited photo editing, and have only managed to use about 90GB of a 256GB SSD. I keep my photo library, music, movies, etc. in an external drive.

iPads are excellent devices, and are a,ways getting better, but I don't think using one for research and homework would be as enjoyable an experience. I'd go with the 128GB MBP and eventually spring for an external hard drive.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen