128GB, 256GB, 512GB or 1TB?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Well it seems like the 512gb is this year's favorite for the color I want and it's hard to get. I guess since I plan on keeping my next iPhone for a minimum of three years, I guess I'm going to go ahead and get the 1TB.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well it seems like the 512gb is this year's favorite for the color I want and it's hard to get. I guess since I plan on keeping my next iPhone for a minimum of three years, I guess I'm going to go ahead and get the 1TB.

Three years? I don’t know if I can do that? (Laughing).

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It's easy to say I'm going to keep my new phone for 3 years, but when you reach the two-year mark, it isn't as easy! :D

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I went with 256 this time, because my 12 Pro had 128 which was sufficient for me. It really just depends on what your usage will be.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I went with 128 but see now that is not enough. Right now checking options how i can extend the storage space and found few solutions in this article https://applenapps.com/get-more-storage-on-iphone-13/. Going to try few different things and will write my feedback here.

My first iPhone was the 8 gb iPhone 4. I learned quickly what works for making the most for storage. There's good suggestions in that article.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use 128gb because I have an iCloud subscription and I don't need a lot of space on my iPhone.

iCloud storage and iPhone storage are not the same. You're under the mistaken belief that iCloud Storage gives you more storage on your iPhone. It does not, because it cannot. icloud, let's you sync more data with the cloud, such as photos, messages, backups, etc. It's for safe storage, in case something happens to your iPhone. But those files remain on your iPhone. And if you delete those files from your iPhone, they're also deleted from iCloud. iCloud is not like Dropbox and other cloud storage services.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
iCloud storage and iPhone storage are not the same. You're under the mistaken belief that iCloud Storage gives you more storage on your iPhone. It does not, because it cannot. icloud, let's you sync more data with the cloud, such as photos, messages, backups, etc. It's for safe storage, in case something happens to your iPhone. But those files remain on your iPhone. And if you delete those files from your iPhone, they're also deleted from iCloud. iCloud is not like Dropbox and other cloud storage services.
You can use optimized storage to allow the iPhone to download only a portion of your music library, photo library, or iCloud Drive, and the phone will remove the downloads of not recently used data as required if it needs more storage for more recently used and added items. Your photo library will keep small thumbnail images of the photos that currently reside only on iCloud and will download the images on-the-fly if you try to view, share, edit, etc., any of those photos. The same goes with music and files in your iCloud library, and your messages if you use Messages in iCloud.

I'm sure that the person you replied to knows this, but just wanted to point out that this is how optimized storage (Settings / Photos / Optimize iPhone Storage, as well as Settings / Music / Optimize Storage, Settings / General / iPhone Storage, where you can slo turn on Optimize Photos and Optimize Storage.)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You can use optimized storage to allow the iPhone to download only a portion of your music library, photo library, or iCloud Drive, and the phone will remove the downloads of not recently used data as required if it needs more storage for more recently used and added items. Your photo library will keep small thumbnail images of the photos that currently reside only on iCloud and will download the images on-the-fly if you try to view, share, edit, etc., any of those photos. The same goes with music and files in your iCloud library, and your messages if you use Messages in iCloud.

I'm sure that the person you replied to knows this, but just wanted to point out that this is how optimized storage (Settings / Photos / Optimize iPhone Storage, as well as Settings / Music / Optimize Storage, Settings / General / iPhone Storage, where you can slo turn on Optimize Photos and Optimize Storage.)

He didn't say what all he had on his iPhone. But you're right. They still take a little space though. But he needed to understand if he deletes off the phone, it also deletes off iCloud.

CRTS

Jan 29, 2024
Visit site
Seriously, I can't fathom why anyone would need 1 TB on their phone. I'm perfectly fine with 128 GB, plenty of space for me. Maybe if I stored all my videos, I'd go for 256 GB tops.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2