12 Pro Apple Leather Cases

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
The saddle brown seems to be taking too long to patina for me. I was expecting some kind of patina already but after nearly 4 months it looks new. I have begun accelerated aging, and the sealant layer seems pretty thick. It takes a good bit of sanding and scuffing to get through it.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The saddle brown seems to be taking too long to patina for me. I was expecting some kind of patina already but after nearly 4 months it looks new. I have begun accelerated aging, and the sealant layer seems pretty thick. It takes a good bit of sanding and scuffing to get through it.

I agree with you from the few YouTube vids I’ve watched on it! One person had their case for 3/4mths and just the square edges were darkened, the back of the case is still brand new.
I know the trick your speaking of with a light sandpaper and mineral oil to deepen the color Did you do that to your case?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you from the few YouTube vids I’ve watched on it! One person had their case for 3/4mths and just the square edges were darkened, the back of the case is still brand new.
I know the trick your speaking of with a light sandpaper and mineral oil to deepen the color Did you do that to your case?

Like this?
giphy.gif

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

In the process of doing just that. Sanding took a while. My case had a slight wave in the back from new (probably should have exchanged it but didn't bother me at the time, especially when I expected/hoped it would wear in like the older cases). Whenever I think I am done sanding and put oil on it, you can still see the sealed layer in the groves of the waves. Ended up with 240 grit paper on my Ryobi Corner Cat sander. I think I have it now, just letting it sit outside for a little to be sure. Also didn't get too close to the buttons because I didn't want to scratch them, but other than that, I think it is going to be good. Definitely much darker than it was, and more natural looking (like an actual saddle), which is what I wanted.

Here it is as of now.
20210309_211844490_iOS.jpg

20210309_211905566_iOS.jpg

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
In the process of doing just that. Sanding took a while. My case had a slight wave in the back from new (probably should have exchanged it but didn't bother me at the time, especially when I expected/hoped it would wear in like the older cases). Whenever I think I am done sanding and put oil on it, you can still see the sealed layer in the groves of the waves. Ended up with 240 grit paper on my Ryobi Corner Cat sander. I think I have it now, just letting it sit outside for a little to be sure. Also didn't get too close to the buttons because I didn't want to scratch them, but other than that, I think it is going to be good. Definitely much darker than it was, and more natural looking (like an actual saddle), which is what I wanted.

Here it is as of now.
View attachment 130619

View attachment 130620

Wow 240! It looks good, that’s how I picture the color saddle should be also

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
After taking some time since I’ve gotten my 12 Pro, I’ve decided not to get the leather case. I have an all clear case from Amazon I use, as well as a Sonix stars case that I got a good deal on. I’ll stick to those 2 for now! Thank you to everyone who replied!
464b0a1c9c4f2adcbe1c36a8b9c9ffbb.jpg

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
After taking some time since I’ve gotten my 12 Pro, I’ve decided not to get the leather case. I have an all clear case from Amazon I use, as well as a Sonix stars case that I got a good deal on. I’ll stick to those 2 for now! Thank you to everyone who replied!

Hey Pink, That case is you!

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Ohhhh I like that case! Is “pink” in your name for pink branded clothing or the color, or both

I live in pink clothes, so comfy and good quality!

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Always used the Apple leather cases. Like the clicky buttons. This time I went with the Pitaca Aramis case. (Black & Blue Twill) Love it. Feels like I have no case at all. Doesn’t have much drop protection but I’m willing to take the chance.
Vinny

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I’ve used Apple leather cases for my last four iPhones...and am absolutely addicted. I won’t use anything else. The perfect fit, finish & functionality is unmatched by their competitors. It takes a bit to break the leather in so it’s not quite as slippery as it is right out of the gate...but after only having a black one (force of habit) on my 12 Pro Max a bit over a month...it’s already “getting there”. Great product!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73