1 day in - Has the novelty worn off?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
It will come up sooner or later, so here we are.

Is anyone "over it" yet?

I'm slowly getting there (while being slightly jealous of my GF's Rose Gold 6s) but that's only because I came from an iPhone 6. So the look I'm used to, I haven't had a REAL chance to use the camera, no Band 12 yet on T-Mobile here, barely using 3D Touch (which I'm sure will change once 3rd party apps begin using it) and the battery life is eh.

Thoughts?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of getting hammered here, yeah, I think I'm there with you.

For me, it's a combination of upgrading annually so I don't take a large leap in tech, 12 months worth of following rumors and blogs, maturation in the product category, and the extreme buildup that occurs prior to the release.

None of this is a knock on the phone. It's clearly the best phone I've ever used. But at the end of the day, the reality is that it looks the same and functions the same as my previous phone with many expected improvements that just blend into the experience.

I think after 8 iterations of iPhone, I'm at the point where the 'thrill' has given way to 'content' for me. Kinda makes me sad lol.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I got a 6S to replace my GS5 & ordered a 6S Plus to replace my 6 Plus. Since the plus is my main device the novelty of the 6S has already worn off. It's a great device but it's so darn small. I am excited about buying accessories though. I can't wait to get my hands on my 6S Plus and really play with the features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpschoon81

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm right there with you. The camera bump wasn't enough to make a big difference to me, 3D touch is kind of useless until developers hop on board, and the rest is just the same. I'm going to take it back and just keep my 6. I'll wait until the 7 comes out

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the new iPhone, but I'm sure I would feel the same way as you all. A majority of us here are keen to technology, at least in regard to Apple, and therefore, the surprise factor is not as prevalent as it would be for someone who doesn't follow tech news as closely as we do. For example: I have been running iOS 9 since June, and now that the official version is released, it's old news to me, especially being that I'm now running 9.1. Besides, 12 months seem to fly by these days. Know what I mean?...

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I never had any novelty. The new changes were not big enough to be worth an upgrade for me.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I moved from the iP 5 to the 6s Plus. So for me it's like a...new phone! I'm amazed, but not overwhelmed. There's much I have yet to do on it. I'm savoring it as I do a rib eye.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I went for a white bezel instead of black this time around so it feels kind of new. The difference between the 6+ and 6s+ from a speed stand point is amazing. 3D Touch is neat but I need to get used to it being there. I'm not quite as excited as I used to be about upgrading so this one was kinda meh. Great phone, I'm just lacking the immense excitement that I usual feel around the time of year.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

For me, it's a combination of upgrading annually so I don't take a large leap in tech, 12 months worth of following rumors and blogs, maturation in the product category, and the extreme buildup that occurs prior to the release.

None of this is a knock on the phone. It's clearly the best phone I've ever used. But at the end of the day, the reality is that it looks the same and functions the same as my previous phone with many expected improvements that just blend into the experience.

I think after 8 iterations of iPhone, I'm at the point where the 'thrill' has given way to 'content' for me. Kinda makes me sad lol.
You shouldn't get hammered for it, you have a valid point. I haven't opened my 6S yet so I'm not there yet, but it's inevitable.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
It did not worn off at all and I am still very excited about it haha!
Always eager to use it more and more =P

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree with a lot of you here. I've worked wireless for years, so getting the iPhone every year, some times a day or so earlier, came naturally (no longer in the field).

This year I got up at 3AM, pre ordered and waited. That alone raised the excitement. First few hours were good, but now I'm back to using it like I did my 6, probably less because I was jail broken.

I think a new color would've kept me more interested for longer, but I opted for SG again because all my other Apple products are SG and I'm Mr. OCD.

Oh well, at least I'm on Jump on demand, so once Rose Golds come into stores, I'll "trade up" 😂

frenzyt

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I think the phones are not the issue but the forums. :) They make want to know and want the next big thing and never being satisfied with what I have. I have bounced from iOS, Android, Windows Phone more times then I could remember but I always want to try something new. Also, my 6s has not arrived so I am still excited!!

Sent from the Note 5

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the phones are not the issue but the forums. :) They make want to know and want the next big thing and never being satisfied with what I have. I have bounced from iOS, Android, Windows Phone more times then I could remember but I always want to try something new. Also, my 6s has not arrived so I am still excited!!

Sent from the Note 5

I agree to a point. We've had it where people who prefer other platforms come here and get all bent out of shape when some of us say that we're content with iOS or the iPhone, as if it's a bad thing. Personally, I think they confuse always striving to better one's self with learning how to be content with what you have. Like the next person, I'm all for getting something new and improved, but more so, I've grown to appreciate what I have - at least for a longer period of time than I used to.

Last edited:

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

Exactly this. I upgraded every year since the 4. I could careless of novelty. I like to have the latest and greatest even if it's a minimal upgrade. Phones are so good now you can't expect to be blown away on every release. Having said that I'm enjoying my 6s+ very much because of the speed and new color option I went with. Is it night and day from the 6+? Absolutely not and I didn't expect that before getting it.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Sent from the Note 5

Welcome to iMore....ENJOY

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I think the upgrade was worth it. I came from a 6 and some of the features are really nice. I like how you can turn the keyboard into a mouse almost by pressing. I'm still happy that I made the upgrade.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I just picked mine up today. I wasn't going to, but I was at the mall this morning and decided to go into the T-Mobile store and ask if they had any. I was expecting them to say the were sold out. But no, they had a silver 64 GB iPhone 6s just like I would have wanted, so I decided to pick it up. So far, I like it. I have used the force touch a few times already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. But I'm not really let down. I use 3D Touch slightly more than I thought I would (it finally adds a speed dial option to the iPhone and the peek for email is a very welcome addition). I certainly could have waited another year for the 7 and I'd probably recommend anyone with a 6 to do just that. I'm pleased with the phone but coming from the 6 it didn't "wow" me. And I didn't expect it to. I knew what I was getting out of it when I got it. I got it because my wife broke her 6 and I was eligible for an upgrade. So I got the 6s and gave her my 6.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen