Personal Hotspot bug on iPhone 7 Plus (AT&T)

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone! I have been overseas for a couple of months and my 7 Plus has a bug where the personal hotspot option is displayed in my settings. I have an Unlimited and More data plan which doesn’t allow tethering/personal hotspot use of any kind. Previously the personal hotspot option would not be shown in the main settings and it would be displayed in the cellular settings with the words “Set up personal hotspot” which if you clicked on it would take you to AT&T’s website saying that the plan doesn’t allow tethering and if you want tethering you should switch to a plan that has it standard (5 GB Mobile Share Flex or Unlimited and More Premium).

I do not want to reset network settings as I have a lot of passwords from WiFi networks and other websites that would disappear. I have iCloud Keychain set up but I am worried that the passwords would still disappear if I reset network settings.

Does anyone else have this bug? What should I do? I am thinking about switching to the 5 GB plan since I barely use between 1.5 GB and 2.4 GB of data a month. I do not want to switch to the $10 extra a month &More Premium.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Why is it not just an option to leave the Personal Hotspot feature appearing there? It won’t get activated or anything unless you willingly do something with it.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Why is it not just an option to leave the Personal Hotspot feature appearing there? It won’t get activated or anything unless you willingly do something with it.

I guess I can leave it there and see what happens. I am activating the International Day Pass in a few hours so I’ll see if it goes away when I turn cellular data on. Right now since data is turned off it says that personal hotspot is turned off and I can’t tap on it. I’m worried that it will turn on and I’ll be charged for tethering even though my data plan doesn’t allow it.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I guess I can leave it there and see what happens. I am activating the International Day Pass in a few hours so I’ll see if it goes away when I turn cellular data on. Right now since data is turned off it says that personal hotspot is turned off and I can’t tap on it. I’m worried that it will turn on and I’ll be charged for tethering even though my data plan doesn’t allow it.

You have to personally tap the slider to go green for it to activate personal hotspot.
It only appears there under Settings if you peeked in Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot.

Like I said, nothing to worry about.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
You have to personally tap the slider to go green for it to activate personal hotspot.
It only appears there under Settings if you peeked in Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot.

Like I said, nothing to worry about.

Ok. I will be adding the Day Pass shortly and turning on data. I’ll see if that’s an option to even turn on the hotspot.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Great news! I activated the Day Pass and then went back into settings and turned on personal hotspot. The second I did that the option for personal hotspot disappeared from the main settings page and the Set Up Personal Hotspot section is showing again. So this means that it’s back to the way it was before that I was used to. No need for me to worry! Thank you so much for your help!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Great news! I activated the Day Pass and then went back into settings and turned on personal hotspot. The second I did that the option for personal hotspot disappeared from the main settings page and the Set Up Personal Hotspot section is showing again. So this means that it’s back to the way it was before that I was used to. No need for me to worry! Thank you so much for your help!

Nice!

Every now and then @Tartarus gets something right. We'll put an extra piece of candy in his paycheck this week*.

*he doesn't really get a paycheck.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Switched to the Premium plan a few days ago, but today AT&T announced new Mobile Share Plus plans: 9 GB for $70 a month ($20 less than I’m paying now) and 3 GB for $60 a month ($30 less than I’m paying now).

I plan on switching to the 9 GB plan as I was on a 3 GB plan before and I can dangerously close to using all of the plan data numerous times. The 9 GB plan I will treat as an unlimited plan since I use max 2.4 GB a month.