Has anyone tried getting a regular phone SIM to use in an iPad Pro on AT&T?

jwalker007

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried getting a regular phone SIM to use in an iPad Pro on AT&T so you can get a cheaper rate? I have 3 iPhones and one iPad Pro. I would like to take advantage of 40 per line for 4 devices like T-Mobile will do. I just can’t use T-Mobile after a failed attempt because of where we live. I would like to see if I can get by without telling them one line is an iPad and set it up so I can get a lower rate. Does anyone know if this will work on the iPad without a problem. Thanks

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't see this working. I'm not sure what would happen if you put a phone SIM in there, BUT if you are paying for the data only rate then THAT is the SIM they will send, so you'd have to swap it with a phone on the line and then that phone would not get calls.

HOWEVER you can get good functionality with a little help......

Check from about the 5:50 mark!

Last edited:

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
re: Has anyone tried getting a regular phone SIM to use in an iPad Pro on AT&T?

I feel like she did this but she is on T-Mobile though.

Yea T-Mobile can work with their special Digits app, BUT anyone can do it with Google Voice. She explains the options at the 5:50 mark.

jwalker007

May 14, 2010
Visit site
re: Has anyone tried getting a regular phone SIM to use in an iPad Pro on AT&T?

Thank you. Just to be clear. I want to pay the phone price and use the sim for data only on my iPad. It’s more expensive to pay for 3 phones and a iPad than 4 phones. T-Mo would do this but not AT&T.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thank you. Just to be clear. I want to pay the phone price and use the sim for data only on my iPad. It’s more expensive to pay for 3 phones and a iPad than 4 phones. T-Mo would do this but not AT&T.

AH I think I got you, you need the 4th line to qualify for the best deal! So basically you would like someone with AT&T and with a cellular iPad, to take their phone SIM and put it in the iPad and see if the data works. Unfortunately I no longer have an iPad with cellular, plus I'm on T-Mobile. BUT I will reach out and see if I can find someone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234