Is AT&T going to force me to choose a tiered plan in order to get me off of unlimited data?

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I haven't got me a phone since the iPhone 5s came out. Im going to try to wait until the 7 comes out. Is AT&T going to force me to go what ever plan they have in order to get me off of my unlimited data. Do they even offer two year contracts anymore?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re: Is AT&T going to force me to choose a tiered plan in order to get me off of unlimited data?

If you're not paying for the device outright, AT&T will force you to choose one of it's tiered plans.

doc16mom

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I used to have unlimited in the day with AT&T. Once you change anything on your plan you lose it.... I'm surprised you were able to hold on to it so long!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't think they could do that. what happened to grandfathered in
Yes, they can, unfortunately.

I used to have unlimited in the day with AT&T. Once you change anything on your plan you lose it.... I'm surprised you were able to hold on to it so long!

You're spot on. I am still grandfathered in with regard to the unlimited data plan, and any change whatsoever will result in me losing it. Buying an iPhone outright or via Verizon (unlocked by default) allows you to maintain the status quo.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think they could do that. what happened to grandfathered in

If you are not under a currently active contract, then they can do that. There's no right to be "grandfathered" if you are making a change such as getting a new device other than at full retail price.

kharma217

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
If you also have DirecTv then you can get unlimited. I switched to a tiered family plan about two years ago-and it actually was very nice. We gained tethering and my family of four never exceeded the 30 Gigs we shared. But, in February, I saw that unlimited was available again and the 4th line is free! So I switched back and our bill dropped!
Unfortunately, we did lose tethering.

Nathan Bael

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
That would be $100 for a single line, plus having to have direct tv. The best advice I can give to the original poster, is either do new unlimited if you have direct tv and a family or wait a month or pay outright and keep your current plan.

If you don't want to pay full price, wait a few months after release and get one used.

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
That's 100% not true. You can upgrade and keep your existing plan. May not be worth it though. Most people don't really need unlimited data and the newer plans are much cheaper.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
i still have the unlimited plan and I just called at&t, they told me I could still get a new phone with subsidized price and two year contract but only thru the phone with them, she said the website could work too but when I log in it only shows Next plans... so I'll call them tomorrow

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
It might be worth a visit to an actual AT&T store (I prefer the corporate stores) just to compare!
I was told the stores dont do it anymore, but I would still go and make sure, Im working tomorrow all day so phone is the only way for me,

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I was told the stores dont do it anymore, but I would still go and make sure, Im working tomorrow all day so phone is the only way for me,

I've been told they don't do 2 contracts anymore but I always feel like they will give you one if you get the right person

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I understand!!! Last December, when I got my 6s, we went to two separate AT&T stores... one was corporate and the other was a franchise. We actually started at the franchise, but they were out of the 6s. So we wandered across the road to the mall, where the corporate store is located. They had plenty in stock, and what surprised us both was that we got a completely different story from each place. We got a better deal with the Corporate store. Not saying that calling via phone, or using the web is bad, but it's great to have all the facts. I'll be interested to see what you find out! Good luck!

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I've been told they don't do 2 contracts anymore but I always feel like they will give you one if you get the right person
good point, i got two different answers when I called this morning, but the second representative started my upgrade process with a Samsung Edge and she was able to see the subsidized price, that's how she could tell it was still an option for me...

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
yes, that actually makes sense, they are slowly phasing out these contracts, but Im not switching until they really force me to in order to upgrade, I would've liked to do it with Apple at midnight but that's not an option anymore, I'm still saving a lot by staying with the unlimited plan and two year contract.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
success !!! I was able to renew my contract for another two years and I got the 128gb iPhone 7 for 299 dollars, no changes in my plan, there was a 45 dollar activation per line but they waived it.... so YES it can be done, I called 611 in my iphone and then selected options 3 and 3.. only a couple of minutes wait

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I got my phone last Friday & didn't have to change. I'm kinda hesitant on changing because I don't know if I'll need more data later on down the road. What you guys think?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Beware At&t is the worst company to do business with! They are going to screw one way or another, sooner or later!!! Proceed with caution.

The grass isn't any greener on the other side. All of the carriers have subpar customer service if you ask me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711