AT&T fees going up 8/1/2015

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I read that yesterday. Companies should be downright grateful to have customers, but we've gotten to a point to where we are not strong enough to do without in order to force companies to do away with arguably unnecessary charges like activation fees.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Never understood the point of activation fees. They're just a money grab.

So you do understand lol. Yeah... money grab all the way. Funny how if I buy a phone and never activate it, they still charge me that fee. I've actually purchased 3 iPhone devices every year and usually only activate one. I still get all 3 charged.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It's effective August 1.

They are also adding a $15 "activation fee" for Next and BYOD. That is shameful, given the promise when Next was introduced as having no activation fee. It's nothing but a money grab by AT&T. And I know there's no collusion, according to the FTC, but watch VZW and Sprint jack their activation fees up now, too.

AT&T invents an absurd $15 activation fee for Next customers | The Verge

T-mobile been doing it for years. Instead of an activation "Fee" they make you buy the Sim card unless you happen to get T-mobile when they offer it for free or a Dollar. They can call themselves "transparent" but they are just as shady as AT&T

cronaldo

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Wonder if they are going to try and charge people who buy the phones at full retail that same $15 when they call in to change the IMEI? Real shameful that carriers are trying to make money hand over fist with these things. Before they used to say that it was to off set the subsidies that they gave on the phone, now it's just shameful!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Wonder if they are going to try and charge people who buy the phones at full retail that same $15 when they call in to change the IMEI? Real shameful that carriers are trying to make money hand over fist with these things. Before they used to say that it was to off set the subsidies that they gave on the phone, now it's just shameful!

Since they mentioned the "BYOD" (Bring Your Own Device), you can probably count on it. :(

With that said, I have NEVER called them to change the IMEI on any phone lines. Just swap the SIMs and let the system handle the update on its own.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73