I stopped by the local mall where the Apple store and AT&T store are (I have AT&T contract). I am 95% sure I will buy a 5S sometime soon when the clamor dies down, but I went to check out the in person action just in case something was easily available.

The Apple store had about an hour long line to get a card with the config you wanted, I guess a good way to make sure you don't wait in the bigger line to actually get the phone., Then you wait in another longer line to actually get waited on. I just checked that out briefly and went to the AT&T store.

Imagine my surprise when the AT&T store had only about 15 people milling about in the store - a sales person came up to me right away. They only had black (space grey) 64GB phones, which explains the small crowd but was exactly what I was interested in! I told him I am in contract but knew I would pay full retail - but - he said AT&T does not sell full retail they only sell to out of contract customers! He said I could call Customer Care and order one, they would sell full retail, and Apple would. So I said thanks and left.

Imagine - can't even buy it at full retail. I didn't know that's the way it worked. Not used to having retailers send you somewhere else to buy what they sell. Very odd.
    09-20-2013 01:13 PM
    Yeah,I've heard them doing that garbage when the 5 came out. Honestly,I would have asked for a manager and raised hell if I were you.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    09-20-2013 01:21 PM
    Verizon store said the same. That they don't sell full retail until after 6 months.
    09-20-2013 01:25 PM
    My AT&T store won't sell full retail new iPhones at launch either, pretty common. The main reason is that AT&T, and in-turn the rep selling the device, make $0 when you buy a phone at full retail.
    09-20-2013 01:33 PM
    I stopped by the local mall where the Apple store and AT&T store are (I have AT&T contract). I am 95% sure I will buy a 5S sometime soon when the clamor dies down, but I went to check out the in person action just in case something was easily available.

The Apple store had about an hour long line to get a card with the config you wanted, I guess a good way to make sure you don't wait in the bigger line to actually get the phone., Then you wait in another longer line to actually get waited on. I just checked that out briefly and went to the AT&T store.

Imagine my surprise when the AT&T store had only about 15 people milling about in the store - a sales person came up to me right away. They only had black (space grey) 64GB phones, which explains the small crowd but was exactly what I was interested in! I told him I am in contract but knew I would pay full retail - but - he said AT&T does not sell full retail they only sell to out of contract customers! He said I could call Customer Care and order one, they would sell full retail, and Apple would. So I said thanks and left.

Imagine - can't even buy it at full retail. I didn't know that's the way it worked. Not used to having retailers send you somewhere else to buy what they sell. Very odd.
    I got the same response from a local AT&T store here... call the 800 number or go to Apple. Turning down business left and right...
    09-20-2013 05:09 PM
    We don't make any money on full retail, so we're not necessarily losing anything. We are actually gaining since we can then sell that unit for a profit..
    09-20-2013 05:20 PM
    We don't make any money on full retail, so we're not necessarily losing anything. We are actually gaining since we can then sell that unit for a profit..
    And turning away loyal customers...
    09-20-2013 07:03 PM
    I wholeheartedly agree with Fausty82. I have been with AT&T for about 10 years. (If thats not loyalty, I dont know what is), and hate when I am denied being able to spend my hard-earned money to get the device I want with the carrier I pay hundreds of dollars to each year.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    09-20-2013 11:41 PM
    I was able to purchase 32gb Space Grey at full retail at my ATT location. Manager said 1 full retail purchase per line. I also called another location to verify that and they said same thing. Weird, how it's different from store to store.
    09-21-2013 01:57 AM
    Thread moved to the carrier discussion forum.
    09-21-2013 05:10 AM
    Yeah,I've heard them doing that garbage when the 5 came out. Honestly,I would have asked for a manager and raised hell if I were you.
    Speaking to a manager wouldn't have changed anything. I stopped by my local AT&T store the day before the launch to find out if they would allow me to purchase the 5S at full retail and the manager of the store came out and said no I could not do that in their store. He told me that I could go to Apple and purchase it there at full retail.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 09-21-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    09-21-2013 05:13 AM
    Speaking to a manager wouldn't have changed anything. I stopped by my local AT&T store the day before the launch to find out if they would allow me to purchase the 5S at full retail and the manager of the store came out and said no I could not do that in their store. He told me that I could go to Apple and purchase it there at full retail.
    That echoes my experience yesterday morning. I had ordered from Best Buy and was killing time waiting for my "ready for pickup" email, so I drove past the neighborhood AT&T store. Curiously, there was no line and about 5 cars in the parking lot. So I stopped and went in. They had phones - but only the space gray 16gb variety. Since I need 32gb, I thought about picking one up for a line that was not yet upgradeable. I was told that I could not buy one full price. No way. No how. I could only do that at the Apple store. The rep could not explain the reasoning behind that statement - only that it wasn’t possible. Clearly, he was simply regurgitating what he had been told to say in that situation. After a couple more minutes of pushing and getting nowhere, I thanked him, looked at my phone to see the "ready for pickup" email from Best Buy and headed over there to get my phone.

Again, I don’t understand any of the logic involved, but "sorry, you can’t do that" is pretty clear, regardless of the reasoning behind that statement. If sales commissions are involved, I guess that makes sense for the sales person... but it does leave a bad taste in the mouth of the customer. Some of us have long memories.
    09-21-2013 10:21 AM
    My apple store allows it if you pay cash

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    09-21-2013 02:17 PM
    AT&T is a for profit business. This is really only an issue during an iPhone launch. No other device is treated this way, probably pertaining to an agreement between Apple and AT&T.

I understand the frustration. I assure you, I don't get some perverse pleasure in telling someone no. I actually hate having to be "the bad guy", it makes me have a bad day.
    09-24-2013 07:54 PM
    That sucks. I got my phone at full retail price at AT&T. I'm still under the same contract I was in back in February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    09-24-2013 08:39 PM