Open Internet groups to file FCC complaint over AT&T FaceTime blocking

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I think they will change their mind eventually. This is just a carrier bullying customers because it can. Reminds me of lots of episodes like this in the past. Locking the gps on phones was a big one and we see how that turned out for carriers.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, here's to hoping it works.
All I need now is the option to tether without having to pay $50 a month. :D

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I think it they should allow FaceTime and just have it count against the monthly data plan. AT&T throttles data at 3 or 5 gig depending on the phone so it's just like streaming music or watching movies. Let people use their data how they want to.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Let people use their data how they want to.

And therein lies the key phrase, their data. We pay for the gigs, shouldn't we be able to use it for what we want? (the same holds true for tethering...) Besides, it's really no different from any streaming service, so there really is no legitimate reason why it should be blocked for those who are not on a shared/family/or-whatever-the-heck-they-call-it plan.

pogeypre

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
This is the thing that pisses me off about data plans.... you should be able to use your data however you wish. If I want to have every device run off my hotspot, I should be able to. I pay for data.... how I use it is of zero consequence to ATT.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I certainly hope this changes, i remember reading about it when the Facetime over cellular first came to the net earlier this year and AT&T immediately jumped out with this. It's complete BS, and just a way to get people to switch over to their less optimal data plans so they make money and we go over our limits every month.

Wolf Cookie

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I would have to say "+1" on this issue. However, I'm not holding my breath that AT&T will change their position, regardless of all the negative stuff on the web.

mc511#CB

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I never had the need to be on face time once if ever. I don't know many people who do outside their house even. I'd rather use Skype which is more open across all platforms. That everyone can use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used FaceTime on my iPad yet. Can that only be used with WiFi or, is it all set because it has a separate data plan?

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been using FaceTime over 3G for a long time. The main problem is that nobody else uses it, even when they can. If a lot more people were able to use FaceTime over cellular, then maybe a lot more would choose to do so. Skype works, but they have to have it turned on to call them. With FT, you can just call their number, if they're on an iPhone and it's enabled and they're on Wifi.

Ironically, I will lose my FaceTime over cellular when I get the iPhone 5.

Redshirt

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
But we can use programs like Skype and there is no issue. That's not right!

Shush, ixnay on the ypeSkay! You'll give them ideas. Isn't it Verizon that has the Skype variant that uses regular minutes for US calls (essentially skipping Skype)?

Redshirt

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been using FaceTime over 3G for a long time. The main problem is that nobody else uses it, even when they can. If a lot more people were able to use FaceTime over cellular, then maybe a lot more would choose to do so. Skype works, but they have to have it turned on to call them. With FT, you can just call their number, if they're on an iPhone and it's enabled and they're on Wifi.

Ironically, I will lose my FaceTime over cellular when I get the iPhone 5.

Until Facetime is available on more platforms, it'll never be truly pervasive. Right now, you're limited to talking to people with iOS devices or Mac's. Growing, but still a small fraction of the available platforms out there. If they ever come out with Android and Windows version, then it'll start taking off and being a real competitor to Skype and the like.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR