Just spotted this.. AT&T will allow grandfathered plans for iP5

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
"If you're eyeing the iPhone 5 but worried about canceling your unlimited data plan with AT&T, you're in luck. AT&T will grandfather in existing data plans.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/att-letting-iphone-5-owners-keep-their-old-dataplans/#ixzz26Lz249b4"

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We'll see how much water that holds...and for how long. AT&T isn't in the business of coming to common ground with unlimited data users, they are viciously trying to hunt you down and force you out of it, and i can't see that changing at all.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It's true. You get separate caps as well before getting throttled; 3GB of 3G/HSPA+ and 5GB of LTE. Then you get slashed down to nearly dial up speed until your next billing cycle starts.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Hope it's true, and Verizon does the same thing. I hate these guys luring you in and couple years later change it.

Verizon will not grandfather unlimited unless you pay full price for any new phone. For the iPhone, that would be $649, $749, and $849.

OlegWasHere

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
im not sure how much of a slow down it is.

the only thing i noticed is youtube videos loading really slow. and netflix.
other then that pandora never skipped
and web pages loaded in a few seconds.

i put 8gb+ for like 5/6 months straight.

dumb question: 4g and 4g lte is same cap? because for data at&t shows 4g only. and a supposed article shows my area is getting the lte by the end of the year.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I got to keep my unlimited data plan with AT&T after ordering the new iPhone 5. That to me is a good move on AT&T's part. :)

yryha9yq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
AT&T allowed me to keep my old plan as well. I was surprised, since I had been told a while back that if I opted for an early upgrade (from the 4 to 4S) I'd lose my 2GB/mo plan.

OlegWasHere

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't have early upgrade on my line until feb 2012 and contract ends on August of 14

I'm using another line and Doing a device swap. But the rep told me it would not effect me.

They would just remove the data plan required on the other line since its a dinosaur of a phone.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I always keep AT&T unlimited when upgrading every year. This time I'm upgrading on another line then swapping SIMs, so they didn't even ask.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
this is good news however now that they throttle after 3 GBs? does it really matter any more?

(i still have unlimited as well)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
this is good news however now that they throttle after 3 GBs? does it really matter any more?

(i still have unlimited as well)

Actually, yes, it does to those of us that would rather take the risk of getting throttled rather than pay the ridiculous data overage charge of $15/1GB that AT&T is charging for going over the allotted amount of data on a set plan.... Also with AT&T's LTE, data won't be throttled till after 5GB.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Not much of a perk or gift on their part.

Depends on how you look at it. To me it's a perk as I'll never have to worry about overage fees. Maybe for those who blow through 3 or 5 GB in a few days to half a month, maybe it is not a perk. There are higher data plans available, however, as with everything else, it comes at a price.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Unlimited costs the same as 3 GB plan, the difference is that if you go over 1 byte you don't get dinged $10. Plus, just because you're throttled doesn't mean you're cut off. You can do just about anything while throttled that you could otherwise, albeit slowly, except for streaming video. You can do email, web, stream audio, maps, weather, photos, etc. Ironically, they only throttle downloads, so you can upload video without restraint, which I've done a lot of. In fact, I've used GBs after getting throttled.

Plus, I hear that on LTE the data cap is 5 GB, rather than 3.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
im not sure how much of a slow down it is.

the only thing i noticed is youtube videos loading really slow. and netflix.
other then that pandora never skipped
and web pages loaded in a few seconds.

i put 8gb+ for like 5/6 months straight.

dumb question: 4g and 4g lte is same cap? because for data at&t shows 4g only. and a supposed article shows my area is getting the lte by the end of the year.

Ah, that's what I was just saying, web & audio are fine, but video...

Specifically, it's about 120 kpbs down, in my experience, but about 1 Mbps up. So-called 4G through HSPA+ has a 3 GB cap. I hear that LTE increases your cap to 5 GB. We'll see. My SIL has an AT&T LTE mobile wifi hotspot and gets about the same speeds as the home wifi. I'll post my speeds here next week!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox