More proof AT&T will not take away "unlimited data"

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
... from grandfathered in customers when the next iPhone comes - I've heard from a few of you here that you think AT&T will not let grandfathered unlimited data users upgrade to an LTE iPhone when it comes out. I've disagreed with this statement before and I still do today. Not only can you buy an LTE device now and keep the unlimited data you can also grandfather in unlimited data with the new iPad data plans. Sorry folks, this will not change with the new iPhone.

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
But with the 3gig cap before they start throttling your data not sure what good the unlimited plan will do for me? I got the text message las week that starting on my next cycle I will be throttled after 3 gigs. Interested to see or hear how bad the data throttling is.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
... from grandfathered in customers when the next iPhone comes - I've heard from a few of you here that you think AT&T will not let grandfathered unlimited data users upgrade to an LTE iPhone when it comes out. I've disagreed with this statement before and I still do today. Not only can you buy an LTE device now and keep the unlimited data you can also grandfather in unlimited data with the new iPad data plans. Sorry folks, this will not change with the new iPhone.

I am one of them saying they won't let us keep the unlimited plans. When I ordered my Lumia 900 last week they didn't even bring up switching off unlimited. The rep even made the point that I get 3GB on 3G and a separate 5GB on LTE before getting throttled.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I am one of them saying they won't let us keep the unlimited plans. When I ordered my Lumia 900 last week they didn't even bring up switching off unlimited. The rep even made the point that I get 3GB on 3G and a separate 5GB on LTE before getting throttled.

What that rep pointed out to you is the rules for the unlimited plans. There is no throttling associated with capped plans.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
What that rep pointed out to you is the rules for the unlimited plans. There is no throttling associated with capped plans.

I know, I have unlimited data. Now if only I could get them to go back to the $20/month 2007 price.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Phones were much more expensive in 2007 including iPhone though

I don't think they were. The original iPhone was $600 for a month or two and that is about what the off contract price is now. Most WinMo phones were around $300 that I could get off ebay around then. The most expensive were Nokia's which could be more than $600 for their wildest designs.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I don't think they were. The original iPhone was $600 for a month or two and that is about what the off contract price is now. Most WinMo phones were around $300 that I could get off ebay around then. The most expensive were Nokia's which could be more than $600 for their wildest designs.

New in store Windows Mobile phones (off contract) were just as expensive as the iPhone then. Even Palm phones were $600 then.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

And then the 4GB iPhone was $399 and 8GB was $499 after a couple of months with contract. I would say that more expensive.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The $20 was for 2g not the 3G and HSPA+ we have today $30 for unlimited data is good deal even with the throttling at 3gb. IMO.

Agreed. I would much rather have my unlimited data plan and risk getting throttled for going over 3GB than than overage fees on a limited plan.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
And then the 4GB iPhone was $399 and 8GB was $499 after a couple of months with contract. I would say that more expensive.

Were the lowered prices contract prices? The 4GB was $299 and the 8GB was $399 after the price drop. Those of use who paid $599 a little over two months prior got $100 rebates for the Apple Store after the outcry of dropping the price so drastically so soon. Still have the 160GB iPod Classic I bought with my rebate.

I didn't think the original had any subsidy. I know I didn't sign a contract when I got it and it had no subsidy; $599 was the price. Which is why I was able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G the next year when it came out.

The iPhone 4S is $649, $749, and $849 so the prices don't seem any different to me. On contract it's cheaper for you, but some carrier paid the rest of it.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I would much rather have my unlimited data plan and risk getting throttled for going over 3GB than than overage fees on a limited plan.

Same here. I am not happy that we are being throttled, but I am also not losing sleep over it bc I still do not have to worry about overage charges.

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Sure hope your right. That's not really the proof I was expecting. I think everything will change when verizon goes forward with their process of eliminating unlimited data. It's only inevitable that AT&T will follow in their footsteps and unlimited data will be a thing I the past (unless your on sprints snail pace network.)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Sure hope your right. That's not really the proof I was expecting. I think everything will change when verizon goes forward with their process of eliminating unlimited data. It's only inevitable that AT&T will follow in their footsteps and unlimited data will be a thing I the past (unless your on sprints snail pace network.)

Sorry to disappoint, more of my opinion. But I stand by it still. :)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to disappoint, more of my opinion. But I stand by it still. :)

i hope you are right but in a sense i feel like AT&T has begun to win the battle

for the last 3 months in a row i have received their 3 GB throttling SMS message and i can tell when it takes effect. to the point of me knowing what to do and not to do until my cycle has ended. makes me want to rethink my data plan options (currently grandfathered - unlimited data)

i'm open for suggestions or reasons why i should stay right where i am at..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative