So whos better coverage wise? What do you think of them?
    01-28-2012 10:21 AM
    This has been covered a million times on the forums. Take a look in the AT&T and Verizon sub forums and you can see all different types of opinions. And actually nobody can tell you which is better but yourself and your particular area. So really, nobody can help you. Just have to see for yourself.

Personally I choose AT&T over Verizon any day in my area. Much better data speeds and my service is superb.
    01-28-2012 10:47 AM
    My company has Verizon, so it wasn't a choice for me. However, we once had AT&T for our corporate account and it was abysmal. We're a speciality trucking company and the coverage in rural areas simply wasn't good enough for us to run our business. We changed to Verizon and while they're arrogant and not as customer friendly as they could be, their service is terrific. Each of my field based sales reps have smart phones and 4G MiFi cards.Each of our trucks are Verizon hotspots that we use to link to our load management system in our headquarters. It's how we run our business and I don't think we could do it as well as we do with another network other than Verizon.

I am the first person in the company to transition from a BlackBerry to an iPhone, I do plan to move each of my sales reps to iPhones sometime this year. It's simply a better platform for our operations.
    01-28-2012 08:40 PM
    My company has Verizon, so it wasn't a choice for me. However, we once had AT&T for our corporate account and it was abysmal. We're a speciality trucking company and the coverage in rural areas simply wasn't good enough for us to run our business. We changed to Verizon and while they're arrogant and not as customer friendly as they could be, their service is terrific. Each of my field based sales reps have smart phones and 4G MiFi cards.Each of our trucks are Verizon hotspots that we use to link to our load management system in our headquarters. It's how we run our business and I don't think we could do it as well as we do with another network other than Verizon.

I am the first person in the company to transition from a BlackBerry to an iPhone, I do plan to move each of my sales reps to iPhones sometime this year. It's simply a better platform for our operations.
    I can counter that with Verizon has horrible data speeds compared to AT&T and has the ability to talk and surf at the same time while Verizon does not. My point being, we could debate this all day and night. It all depends on the OP's location and what fits his/her needs.
    01-28-2012 09:54 PM
    I have Verizon. The ex has AT&T. We're both out in the middle of BFE and we get great reception. I've yet to encounter a dead spot or a drop call zone and he's had several.

Find someone with Verizon. Ask them how their coverage is.
    Find someone with AT&T. Ask them how their coverage is.

Data speeds are nice and all but IMO, I'd go for coverage before I go for data speeds It's nice to have blazing fast data speeds as long as you're near a tower but if you're like me and you live in the middle of nowhere, coverage is everything.
    01-30-2012 09:55 AM
    I just switched to AT&T today. I had Verizon for a while. I don't see a difference is coverage, but there is a difference in data speeds. AT&T is faster. I will see if AT&T is truly better in the coming days/weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    08-19-2012 08:55 PM
    I think it depends where you live. If I lived closer to the city I would have AT&T. Now I live out in the middle of nowhere it's nice to have the data speeds I get with Verizon as all I get with other carriers is EDGE or 1X. I also believe with LTE it won't matter.
    08-20-2012 12:02 AM
    Both AT&T and VZW have great coverage here. I prefer AT&T, since it allows simultaneous use on voice/data on the mobile network (WiFi not needed).

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    08-20-2012 03:09 AM
    Both AT&T and VZW have great coverage here. I prefer AT&T, since it allows simultaneous use on voice/data on the mobile network (WiFi not needed).

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    I thought that Verizon's network now offered simultaneous voice and data too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    08-20-2012 04:18 AM
    I thought that Verizon's network now offered simultaneous voice and data too.
    This is only on Verizon's LTE devices.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    08-20-2012 08:26 AM
    Sure, I have a few complaints about AT&T; however, I'd take them over Verison any day, especially since they allow simultaneous voice calling and data use over 3G (even though they do throttle data during the call).
    08-21-2012 09:46 AM
    Sure, I have a few complaints about AT&T; however, I'd take them over Verison any day, especially since they allow simultaneous voice calling and data use over 3G (even though they do throttle data during the call).
    When I initially left AT&T, I was apprehensive because I didn't know how not having simultaneous voice calling & data would affect me. Well, my life and technical habits have not been affected at all. Not once do I recall 'needing' to be surfing the web while simultaneously talking on the phone. Still, I understand that my experience doesn't apply to everyone, but I do 'think' that it applies to a lot of people.
    kch50428 likes this.
    08-21-2012 10:28 AM
    For me...It was Verizon.

AT&T literally has a dead spot at my house...I'll show you a picture...

That light part where the "98" section is...is where my house is....when my family visits from out of state their phones do not work...period...and they have AT&T.
    08-21-2012 02:01 PM
    Verizon has much wider and more stable coverage. This goes for both 3G and 4G LTE networks. AT&T has faster data for iPhones right now; however, when the new 4G iPhone launches, Verizon will be the best carrier, by far.
    08-21-2012 11:12 PM
    Verizon has much wider and more stable coverage. This goes for both 3G and 4G LTE networks. AT&T has faster data for iPhones right now; however, when the new 4G iPhone launches, Verizon will be the best carrier, by far.
    Maybe for you. It's all relative. Not sure why people don't understand that.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    08-22-2012 07:19 PM
    Overall maybe yes. Verizon can't get a signal at my house. So to me, they are one of the worst. And my iPad is Vzn so i have personal experience. It varies which is best depending on where you live.
    Last edited by Garz; 08-22-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    08-22-2012 08:39 PM
    Generally speaking. Verizon will give you better and more stable coverage. But in good coverage areas, AT&T is usually faster. As far as price, they are very similar with VZW being slightly cheaper now with both companies new plans
    08-22-2012 08:46 PM
    Generally speaking. Verizon will give you better and more stable coverage. But in good coverage areas, AT&T is usually faster. As far as price, they are very similar with VZW being slightly cheaper now with both companies new plans
    Actually, it is AT&T who is the cheapest as they are still offering individual plans to new and their existing customers. I would pay a lot more on both Verizon's and AT&T's shared plans. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that, as I can still keep my individual plan from AT&T.
    08-23-2012 01:04 AM
    It all depends where you are. I am in Sandusky Ohio and have AT&T my two other friends have Verizon. My reception is better. They lose reception outside my phone gets better. Lte is about 5-6 Mbps AT&T hspa+ is about 6-7 Mbps. I am pleasantly surprised
    08-24-2012 09:38 AM
    I am about to switch from AT&T to Verizon with the 5, better coverage and my area has 4g...which presumably the 5 will have. Better situation overall.
    08-24-2012 09:44 AM
    This is only in your case. Verizon's LTE network in my area is sloooow and unreliable. There are other areas where Verizon's LTE network is spotty as well. NO carrier is the best!
    08-24-2012 09:45 AM
    Considering how AT&T barely has any LTE coverage nationwide, Verizon is clearly larger, faster, and better. Sure, their coverage is spotty on LTE right now, but that's just until they can fully build out the network. At least the have LTE rolled out to all major cities and a huge chunk of the country. AT&T is way behind on an LTE rollout.
    08-25-2012 02:38 PM
    Considering how AT&T barely has any LTE coverage nationwide, Verizon is clearly larger, faster, and better. Sure, their coverage is spotty on LTE right now, but that's just until they can fully build out the network. At least the have LTE rolled out to all major cities and a huge chunk of the country. AT&T is way behind on an LTE rollout.
    AT&T is adding LTE coverage now much faster than before. Yes, they were behind Verizon in terms of the rollout. But, considering how many LTE outages Verizon has had and still continues to work on I would still not consider them as "the best" for everyone. Why would I pay more for Verizon when their LTE network is so slow here and goes out almost every other week. My neighbors are always complaining about them. Verizon; higher rates, slow speeds in my area, and outages, No Thanks! I'll take my reliable service, fast HSPA+ speeds, and lower rate plan with AT&T and wait for LTE with them here.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    08-25-2012 03:09 PM
    Here's a legitimate comparison question. In LTE coverage, with the new chipset, does the AT&T iPhone 5 still use circuit switched fallback? Basic explanation of the question being:

When making a phone call, AT&T LTE phones must step down to HSPA from LTE in order to use the circuit switch based network to make the call. LTE isn't available while on a phone call.

With verizon, 4G LTE phones have two radios and soft switch the two. While in 4G LTE coverage, both radios are active, so CDMA/EV-DO/1X is used for voice and the 4G radio still handles data -- LTE data is available while on a phone call.

I haven't seen a mention of this too often or in the case of the iPhone 5 at all.. I am curious because of apple mentioning the new chip for voice/data/etc.

Anyone know?

----

The Verge's Chris Ziegler covered more about this with better detail in his One X review:

HTC One X review | The Verge

"If I had a complaint, though, it would be AT&T's use of circuit-switched fallback, which shares circuitry between the LTE and HSPA+ radios. The benefit is reduced complexity and improved battery life, but the chief disadvantage is that LTE is automatically disabled whenever you're on a call or the phone rings. In practice, what this meant for me is that my mobile hotspot tethering to my laptop would be unceremoniously interrupted whenever I received a call and worst yet, the phone frequently wouldn't reengage LTE after the call ended without toggling airplane mode on and back off again to "reboot" the radio. That's particularly bad in Chicago where AT&T's HSPA+ network is next to useless during business hours."
    09-13-2012 01:33 PM
    Verizon in my area has the best network, and 4g is super fast. 28mbs dl, and 12 ul.
    09-13-2012 01:36 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD