AT&T vs Verizon

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
This has been covered a million times on the forums. Take a look in the AT&T and Verizon sub forums and you can see all different types of opinions. And actually nobody can tell you which is better but yourself and your particular area. So really, nobody can help you. Just have to see for yourself.

Personally I choose AT&T over Verizon any day in my area. Much better data speeds and my service is superb.

mikechaudron

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
My company has Verizon, so it wasn't a choice for me. However, we once had AT&T for our corporate account and it was abysmal. We're a speciality trucking company and the coverage in rural areas simply wasn't good enough for us to run our business. We changed to Verizon and while they're arrogant and not as customer friendly as they could be, their service is terrific. Each of my field based sales reps have smart phones and 4G MiFi cards.Each of our trucks are Verizon hotspots that we use to link to our load management system in our headquarters. It's how we run our business and I don't think we could do it as well as we do with another network other than Verizon.

I am the first person in the company to transition from a BlackBerry to an iPhone, I do plan to move each of my sales reps to iPhones sometime this year. It's simply a better platform for our operations.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
My company has Verizon, so it wasn't a choice for me. However, we once had AT&T for our corporate account and it was abysmal. We're a speciality trucking company and the coverage in rural areas simply wasn't good enough for us to run our business. We changed to Verizon and while they're arrogant and not as customer friendly as they could be, their service is terrific. Each of my field based sales reps have smart phones and 4G MiFi cards.Each of our trucks are Verizon hotspots that we use to link to our load management system in our headquarters. It's how we run our business and I don't think we could do it as well as we do with another network other than Verizon.

I am the first person in the company to transition from a BlackBerry to an iPhone, I do plan to move each of my sales reps to iPhones sometime this year. It's simply a better platform for our operations.

I can counter that with Verizon has horrible data speeds compared to AT&T and has the ability to talk and surf at the same time while Verizon does not. My point being, we could debate this all day and night. It all depends on the OP's location and what fits his/her needs.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have Verizon. The ex has AT&T. We're both out in the middle of BFE and we get great reception. I've yet to encounter a dead spot or a drop call zone and he's had several.

Find someone with Verizon. Ask them how their coverage is.
Find someone with AT&T. Ask them how their coverage is.

Data speeds are nice and all but IMO, I'd go for coverage before I go for data speeds It's nice to have blazing fast data speeds as long as you're near a tower but if you're like me and you live in the middle of nowhere, coverage is everything.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I just switched to AT&T today. I had Verizon for a while. I don't see a difference is coverage, but there is a difference in data speeds. AT&T is faster. I will see if AT&T is truly better in the coming days/weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I think it depends where you live. If I lived closer to the city I would have AT&T. Now I live out in the middle of nowhere it's nice to have the data speeds I get with Verizon as all I get with other carriers is EDGE or 1X. I also believe with LTE it won't matter.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Both AT&T and VZW have great coverage here. I prefer AT&T, since it allows simultaneous use on voice/data on the mobile network (WiFi not needed).

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Both AT&T and VZW have great coverage here. I prefer AT&T, since it allows simultaneous use on voice/data on the mobile network (WiFi not needed).

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I thought that Verizon's network now offered simultaneous voice and data too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Sure, I have a few complaints about AT&T; however, I'd take them over Verison any day, especially since they allow simultaneous voice calling and data use over 3G (even though they do throttle data during the call).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sure, I have a few complaints about AT&T; however, I'd take them over Verison any day, especially since they allow simultaneous voice calling and data use over 3G (even though they do throttle data during the call).

When I initially left AT&T, I was apprehensive because I didn't know how not having simultaneous voice calling & data would affect me. Well, my life and technical habits have not been affected at all. Not once do I recall 'needing' to be surfing the web while simultaneously talking on the phone. Still, I understand that my experience doesn't apply to everyone, but I do 'think' that it applies to a lot of people.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
For me...It was Verizon.

AT&T literally has a dead spot at my house...I'll show you a picture...

ScreenShot2012-08-21at15812PM.png

That light part where the "98" section is...is where my house is....when my family visits from out of state their phones do not work...period...and they have AT&T.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Verizon has much wider and more stable coverage. This goes for both 3G and 4G LTE networks. AT&T has faster data for iPhones right now; however, when the new 4G iPhone launches, Verizon will be the best carrier, by far.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Verizon has much wider and more stable coverage. This goes for both 3G and 4G LTE networks. AT&T has faster data for iPhones right now; however, when the new 4G iPhone launches, Verizon will be the best carrier, by far.

Maybe for you. It's all relative. Not sure why people don't understand that.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Overall maybe yes. Verizon can't get a signal at my house. So to me, they are one of the worst. And my iPad is Vzn so i have personal experience. It varies which is best depending on where you live.

Last edited:

AppleFan91

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Generally speaking. Verizon will give you better and more stable coverage. But in good coverage areas, AT&T is usually faster. As far as price, they are very similar with VZW being slightly cheaper now with both companies new plans

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Generally speaking. Verizon will give you better and more stable coverage. But in good coverage areas, AT&T is usually faster. As far as price, they are very similar with VZW being slightly cheaper now with both companies new plans

Actually, it is AT&T who is the cheapest as they are still offering individual plans to new and their existing customers. I would pay a lot more on both Verizon's and AT&T's shared plans. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that, as I can still keep my individual plan from AT&T.

giper54

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
It all depends where you are. I am in Sandusky Ohio and have AT&T my two other friends have Verizon. My reception is better. They lose reception outside my phone gets better. Lte is about 5-6 Mbps AT&T hspa+ is about 6-7 Mbps. I am pleasantly surprised

trevorjd14

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I am about to switch from AT&T to Verizon with the 5, better coverage and my area has 4g...which presumably the 5 will have. Better situation overall.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh