I've heard they are converting the EDGE network into LTE on the 700 mhz frequency......why won't my iPhone 6 be compatible with it? Will EDGE coverage still be here? I live in rural California where I get EDGE

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    12-27-2014 06:07 AM
    In a statement to iMore, T-Mobile said:

Band and chipset decisions are made very early in a device development lifecycle. Since we just acquired this spectrum earlier this year, we were too late to include band support in these devices. We'll continue to work closely with all our OEM partners to address band support for future devices and are currently working hard to get 700 MHz devices into consumer hands later this year.
    http://m.imore.com/iphone-6s-lte-sup...nough-t-mobile
    Just_Me_D and princearienne like this.
    12-27-2014 09:46 AM
    I get EDGE coverage in Rural California will I still get EDGE coverage after they complete the switch?

12-27-2014 05:46 PM
    I get EDGE coverage in Rural California will I still get EDGE coverage after they complete the switch?

Although I can't say for certain, I'd like to think that you will still have access to EDGE coverage.
    princearienne likes this.
    12-27-2014 05:56 PM
    Although I can't say for certain, I'd like to think that you will still have access to EDGE coverage.
    I don't think so. All the carriers are either doing this or thinking about it. They are taking their existing spectrum that is used for 2G and changing it over to LTE. So if that spectrum is in a frequency that isn't supported by the LTE radio in the device, then there may be no coverage. However the carriers can tell how much use their 2G spectrum is getting and they are only changing over where it isn't really used. A rural area that only gets 2G currently will not be high on the list to get switched over. They are starting with dense areas to get more available spectrum for crowded LTE areas.
    princearienne likes this.
    12-27-2014 06:02 PM
    I don't think so. All the carriers are either doing this or thinking about it. They are taking their existing spectrum that is used for 2G and changing it over to LTE. So if that spectrum is in a frequency that isn't supported by the LTE radio in the device, then there may be no coverage. However the carriers can tell how much use their 2G spectrum is getting and they are only changing over where it isn't really used. A rural area that only gets 2G currently will not be high on the list to get switched over. They are starting with dense areas to get more available spectrum for crowded LTE areas.
    You could very well be right, Karen. It would be best if the OP called his or her carrier to find out for certain.
    12-27-2014 06:05 PM