converting EDGE to 4G LTE

princearienne

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I've heard they are converting the EDGE network into LTE on the 700 mhz frequency......why won't my iPhone 6 be compatible with it? Will EDGE coverage still be here? I live in rural California where I get EDGE

Posted via the iMore App for Android

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
In a statement to iMore, T-Mobile said:

Band and chipset decisions are made very early in a device development lifecycle. Since we just acquired this spectrum earlier this year, we were too late to include band support in these devices. We'll continue to work closely with all our OEM partners to address band support for future devices and are currently working hard to get 700 MHz devices into consumer hands later this year.
http://m.imore.com/iphone-6s-lte-support-isnt-quite-good-enough-t-mobile

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I get EDGE coverage in Rural California will I still get EDGE coverage after they complete the switch?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Although I can't say for certain, I'd like to think that you will still have access to EDGE coverage.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. All the carriers are either doing this or thinking about it. They are taking their existing spectrum that is used for 2G and changing it over to LTE. So if that spectrum is in a frequency that isn't supported by the LTE radio in the device, then there may be no coverage. However the carriers can tell how much use their 2G spectrum is getting and they are only changing over where it isn't really used. A rural area that only gets 2G currently will not be high on the list to get switched over. They are starting with dense areas to get more available spectrum for crowded LTE areas.

You could very well be right, Karen. It would be best if the OP called his or her carrier to find out for certain.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711