Free T-Mobile LTE data on my iPad Air!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Me too. I just ordered 2 as well. My iPad air came with they mobile sim so I never had to pay for that one either. It will be interesting to see if we can get the 200 MB free per each sim on the same device.

One annoying thing is that their order process made you enter a credit card even though the order was free.

Ya it made me also I think incase you wanted to pay for faster shipping .. But I have 200 already I can wait for free lol ..

Only thing I thought was funky is they sent me my sim via ups and it took literally a week when the post office prob would have been faster

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Me too. I just ordered 2 as well. My iPad air came with they mobile sim so I never had to pay for that one either. It will be interesting to see if we can get the 200 MB free per each sim on the same device.

One annoying thing is that their order process made you enter a credit card even though the order was free.

I found this to be odd as well. But even though they required the CC info they never added a charge on to it so that was cool. As Peligro said, the sims are shipped via UPS so expect to see them in about 4 days or so.

Sent from my iPad Air.

jagfan2

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The description for the sim cards say for iPhone. Do they work in our iPad mini's? Also my shopping cart said there would be a one time activation fee. Anyone encounter that?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The description for the sim cards say for iPhone. Do they work in our iPad mini's? Also my shopping cart said there would be a one time activation fee. Anyone encounter that?
Yes, the Nano SIM cards on T-Mobiles website will work in the iPad Air and the Mini too. While I don't remember seeing a mention of an activation fee when I purchased my SIM cards I know there is no activation fee. It is probably a standard message that comes up when you purchase SIM cards and or phones from their website. Just ignore the message as you will not be charged for anything.

jagfan2

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Just reviewed my receipt for the nano sim I use in the ipad. The description for that sim is "mobile data" sim and I did not need to provide a credit card when I ordered it. I have a feeling that the free iphone sims are registered differently, i.e., for voice and data. If that is the case, they won't work in our ipads. And perhaps the credit card was requested so they could bill when the phone is activated.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just reviewed my receipt for the nano sim I use in the ipad. The description for that sim is "mobile data" sim and I did not need to provide a credit card when I ordered it. I have a feeling that the free iphone sims are registered differently, i.e., for voice and data. If that is the case, they won't work in our ipads. And perhaps the credit card was requested so they could bill when the phone is activated.
The sims are not registered differently. They all work the same when activated. There is NO charge and YES they do work in the iPads. I've purchased 4 of them so far and there was no issues with my iPad. I also used one of them with my prepaid service with T-Mobile and there was no activation fee or extra charge.

jagfan2

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The sims are not registered differently. They all work the same when activated. There is NO charge and YES they do work in the iPads. I've purchased 4 of them so far and there was no issues with my iPad. I also used one of them with my prepaid service with T-Mobile and there was no activation fee or extra charge.

Thanks - appreciate the clarification.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Did you get the free 200GB with each SIM?

Only activated 2 of the Sims for my iPad Air so far. Both Sims are activated, only thing is with the second Sim I didn't receive a confirmation email about the plan like I did with the first one, but it seems to be working ok.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Any non-US residents have experience with the data passes?

I set up the free 200 MB plan, but it appears to want a US credit card to pay for the on-demand passes. (1 GB for 7 days or 2.5 GB for 30 days.)

I am happy to have a small amount of free data for when I'm Stateside, but would like to just be able to charge the other plans to my home (Canadian) credit card when I want/need more data.

(If no-one has gotten it working, have to get myself a virtual US-based credit card for this, I suppose...)

jagfan2

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Any non-US residents have experience with the data passes?

I set up the free 200 MB plan, but it appears to want a US credit card to pay for the on-demand passes. (1 GB for 7 days or 2.5 GB for 30 days.)

I am happy to have a small amount of free data for when I'm Stateside, but would like to just be able to charge the other plans to my home (Canadian) credit card when I want/need more data.

(If no-one has gotten it working, have to get myself a virtual US-based credit card for this, I suppose...)

There are 2 types of passes.
1. Monthly Passes - these are 30 day passes that automatically renew.
2. On Demand Passes - you order and pay for data when you need it.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
There are 2 types of passes.
1. Monthly Passes - these are 30 day passes that automatically renew.
2. On Demand Passes - you order and pay for data when you need it.

I'm aware.

Both require payment, and unlike the T-Mobile cell phone site, the T-Mobile mobile internet site appears to require a US billing address to top up one's account with a credit card. (This is why you'll see most international travellers with T-Mobile SIM cards. T-Mobile actually lets non-residents pay for cell service easily and top up online.)

Guess I'll have to find a reputable virtual US credit card that'll spoof a US billing address for me, if I want more than the 200 MB free data when I'm in the US, then.

jagfan2

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I got those 2 additional SIMs last night. I set both of them up and appear to be getting the 200MB free data for each. I did need to use a different email address for each than the main one I used to set up the SIM that came with the iPad though. I did get the confirmation email that contained the phone number and PIN associated with each SIM and another confirmation for each that I had the 200MB free data.

Rec'd my 2 sims as well, although haven't set them up. Wondering if it would be better to stagger the installation dates so if one runs out, it just pop in the other.

jagfan2

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Karencoulter

Did you set up your SIMS by just installing and activating through Safari or did you use the activation code that came with the SIM?

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
You can also download the MyT-Mobile app and it will show you usage. It's a bit faster than having to login to check. You just open the app. You just can't add a paid data plan through that app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711