iphone T-Mobile vs Virgin Mobile

zak

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any feed back about using an iPhone on either prepaid service? Both coverage maps for my area look to be decent, and I can get the phone and service for less with T-Mobile but wouldn't have the insurance option that Virgin Mobile has.

TheMaccaUK

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Why won't the iPhone 5 work with T-Mobile 3G & 4G? It's compatible with the frequencies they use for 3G&4G (1700&2100 MHz)

I'd like to know that too. T-Mobile US store told me yesterday that my UK iPhone 5 will only get 2G speeds on their network because "their network doesn't know my phone"... Doesn't sound technologically accurate.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I think i have found a website regarding this. Supposedly it shows T-mobiles efforts all around the U.S. to reshape their network and although some of the markets have not been announced the data is user submitted so it should be accurate. What i was wondering though from some threads tha i read is wether or not imessage and mms work on tmobiles network with an unlocked iphone?

airportal.de

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Why won't the iPhone 5 work with T-Mobile 3G & 4G? It's compatible with the frequencies they use for 3G&4G (1700&2100 MHz)

iPhone is not compatible with AWS HSPA which T-Mobile is currently using for their 3G/4G.

The frequencies are the problem. In most of the US, they are using something called the PCS band for 3G which is not compatible with the iPhone. So you only get 2G data speeds. However in some markets, they have started to reallocate their spectrum to use a different frequency band that is compatible with the iPhone on 3G. They are planning on doing this for their whole footprint but it will take time.

Actually, iPhone IS compatible with PCS, it's the AWS HSPA which T-Mobile currently uses that iPhone is not compatible with. T-Mobile is transitioning their PCS band to HSPA+ in order to be compatible with iPhone and other devices which are not compatible with AWS HSPA. T-Mobile will eventually be deploying LTE on the AWS band which iPhone 5 does support.

I think i have found a website regarding this. Supposedly it shows T-mobiles efforts all around the U.S. to reshape their network and although some of the markets have not been announced the data is user submitted so it should be accurate. What i was wondering though from some threads tha i read is wether or not imessage and mms work on tmobiles network with an unlocked iphone?

airportal.de

I have an iPhone 4S on T-Mobile and currently get 3G in my area, and a lot of other areas that aren't listed on that site. I'm not surprised that it's not up-to-date as the site is based on user-submitted data and isn't even mobile-friendly. So you must take a screenshot and submit the data later on a PC or tether your laptop while you're driving.

qnet

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm mostly a Android user but I like IOS and Apple products in general also. I'm on T-mobile and have the Nexus 4 but, I just ordered an unlocked Iphone 5 to use. This thread has been helpful. I believe T-mobile has spread their 1900Mhz band (the band I read that the IP5 may use) out even more since the begiinning of this thread.

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 (A1428 AT&T, A1429 GSM/CDMA Verizon/Factory Unlocked revision) will be compatible with the upcoming PCS 3G that T-Mobile is transitioning to. However, only the unlocked AT&T version (A1428 GSM-only) will work with T-Mobile's upcoming AWS LTE (band 4.)