I was born and raised in South Carolina yet I'm not a fan of either of the two major in-state schools' athletic programs. For NCAAFB I'm a Florida State fan and Duke in NCAAM basketball. On the Professional side of things I'm Chicago (NBA) and Carolina (NFL).

What do fellow sports fans think of people like me who are fans of teams in regions in which they're not from and have never lived?
    04-22-2017 12:47 PM
    I don't think it is a bad thing. I'm a fan of the 49ers, the NY Jets, the SF Giants, and i don't live in any of those cities. (Though I did live in Daly City for a time) I don't really have a favorite NBA team. I'll go watch a game whenever I really feel like it, regardless of who is playing. I guess, if my home team makes it in to the playoffs is really the only time I take notice. But that is a rare rare case.
    mumfoau likes this.
    04-22-2017 03:45 PM
    ...What do fellow sports fans think of people like me who are fans of teams in regions in which they're not from and have never lived?
    I think it's quite normal with regard to professional sports.
    04-22-2017 06:38 PM
    I think it's quite normal with regard to professional sports.
    Yeah, it makes sense with professional sports. Especially for the pre-1995 Carolinas for example. College teams I guess could be a bit different. But I guess it depends on how long you've been a fan. Like I'm sure we now have lots of new Clemson fans here.
    04-22-2017 06:47 PM
    It's pretty normal. I grew up in LA & definitely ride for my Rams (even in St. Louis) & my Lakers. Jerome Bettis is my fave NFL player, so I ended up becoming a Steelers fan...still can't believe he left the Rams but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ LOL. Part of my fam is from Alabama so I'm Crimson all the way. I lived in Cleveland for a long time but I'm no fan of any of their teams nor do I like Ohio State. I think people should like whatever teams they want🤷🏾*♀️
    mumfoau likes this.
    04-22-2017 09:17 PM
    BTW...I'm now in Boston & kinda sick of the Brady talk as well as the fact that I can't talk college sports with them because they just don't get it The Red Sox logo is adorable though
    04-22-2017 09:21 PM
    BTW...I'm now in Boston & kinda sick of the Brady talk as well as the fact that I can't talk college sports with them because they just don't get it The Red Sox logo is adorable though
    Boston folks haven't gotten college sports since Flutie! Lol
    nikkisharif likes this.
    04-23-2017 02:06 AM
    I live in Alberta Canada and of course as far as hockey goes I am a die hard Edmonton Oilers fan. I do not follow the CFL at all as it is too boring even though I coached minor football for several years. As for baseball I follow the Toronto Blue Jays and the New York Mets (I know polar opposite teams). But my son Elijah and I are die hard NFL fans. My teams are Green Pay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers and Atlanta Falcons. My oldest son Daniel also follows sports but his thing is basketball and hockey. We all like to dig at each other in fun when out teams lose. But we never let it go to far. My husband does not follow sports and could care less.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    04-23-2017 01:35 PM
    I never watched baseball until a few years ago when my son and I got into it (when signing him up for t-ball). We LOVE the Nationals now! Growing up there was no team here, and never got into the Orioles.

For football, we're big Packers fans. I grew up watching the Redskins but decided to get my own team rather than root for the team everyone else did because they were local. Haven't looked back. It does cost me more because I need Sunday Ticket to watch but that's ok.

We've considered moving at some point in the next couple of years and if we do I'll really miss driving to Nats park for a game. But as long as we move somewhere with a National League team, I'll be able to see them when the come to town. Would love to move to Green Bay but too &$*# cold.
    mumfoau and 4mywife like this.
    04-23-2017 01:40 PM
    I'd like to move to Charlotte but that's mainly so the wife can be close to her sister and niece/nephew.

I'd rather move closer to Tallahassee lol
    Last edited by mumfoau; 04-23-2017 at 01:58 PM.
    04-23-2017 01:44 PM
    I'd like to move to Charlotte but that mainly so the wife can be close to her sister and niece/nephew.

I'd rather move closer to Tallahassee lol
    I hear ya....I'm actually preparing to move back to Orlando.
    04-23-2017 01:52 PM
    Boston folks haven't gotten college sports since Flutie! Lol
    Exactly
    mumfoau likes this.
    04-23-2017 04:12 PM
    Since the NFL depends on national coverage more than the other major sports, I think it is more natural to be the fan of an NFL team that is out of your area. I've been a Mets, Knicks and Cowboys fan for over 40 years, and I think you can guess what region I live in going by what doesn't belong regionally
    mumfoau likes this.
    05-05-2017 04:10 PM
    Pro football isn't as big in Alabama as college football. There are no pro teams in Alabama. I'm closest to the Tennessee Titans, but my faves are Atlanta and Dallas. Dallas goes back a long way to my childhood. Cowboys were big then.
    mumfoau likes this.
    05-06-2017 03:42 PM