...NCAA Football 2015...

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I remember dwag fans saying that about Gurley and Moreno...go figure.

What's the good word?

Gurley would have been had he not been suspended and then injured. There ain't two ways about it: Nick Chubb is better than Gurley. Can't wait to extend it to 16-3 this century :rotfl:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Gurley would have been had he not been suspended and then injured. There ain't two ways about it: Nick Chubb is better than Gurley. Can't wait to extend it to 16-3 this century :rotfl:

Seems like an echo of the same words said last season, right before the Jackets WRECKED the dwags. And we have our entire team back this season again. Good luck...

slideshow_1001911296_ugagt.1128_JC8.JPG

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't gamble with Saban.

Nor would I. I meant that I could see the Badgers going 0-1 as of the 6th. They've had some coaching turnover in the last few years... Going from Barry Alvarez, to Bret Bielema, then to Gary Andersen, and now with Paul Chryst as head coach, there hasn't been the consistency of a singular leader/coach like Alabama's had with Nick Saban. Although Barry Alvarez did transition from being the head coach, to becoming the athletic director, so he's always remained actively involved with the program.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Nor would I. I meant that I could see the Badgers going 0-1 as of the 6th. They've had some coaching turnover in the last few years... Going from Barry Alvarez, to Bret Bielema, then to Gary Andersen, and now with Paul Chryst as head coach, there hasn't been the consistency of a singular leader/coach like Alabama's had with Nick Saban. Although Barry Alvarez did transition from being the head coach, to becoming the athletic director, so he's always remained actively involved with the program.

Chryst is a good coach. I hope he succeeds there.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Chryst is a good coach. I hope he succeeds there.

I think that long term he has a good opportunity to do really well, but boy oh boy, you're first game as head coach at UW and it's against Nick Saban & Alabama... Talk about a trial by fire...
Hopefully he and his Badgers can keep the game a close one, or at least have it be an interesting one to watch.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
You can do it in magic marker, cause it won't have to be erased! :)

...Yeah, unfortunately, I think you're on to something there...
I will say that the UW has a much better program now since the Alvarez era began, than it did in the mid to late 80's. The nadir of that time imo being the Don Morton period with his 'veer' offense. I remember walking past Camp Randall on a football Saturday home game and the stadium was mostly empty except for a small section of people in the middle near the 50 yard line of seating - I hesitate at calling them a 'crowd'... Now however, the Badgers are playing 'Bama @ Jerry World to a national television audience with what I think could be a bowl game type of atmosphere. So if nothing else, the game should be a good learning experience for new head coach Paul Chryst, his assistants, and the players as well.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
...Yeah, unfortunately, I think you're on to something there...
I will say that the UW has a much better program now since the Alvarez era began, than it did in the mid to late 80's. The nadir of that time imo being the Don Morton period with his 'veer' offense. I remember walking past Camp Randall on a football Saturday home game and the stadium was mostly empty except for a small section of people in the middle near the 50 yard line of seating - I hesitate at calling them a 'crowd'... Now however, the Badgers are playing 'Bama @ Jerry World to a national television audience with what I think could be a bowl game type of atmosphere. So if nothing else, the game should be a good learning experience for new head coach Paul Chryst, his assistants, and the players as well.

Bama is still not settled on a starting QB. Saban hasn't been happy with any of them.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Bama is still not settled on a starting QB. Saban hasn't been happy with any of them.

I guess it's a good thing that the QB position hasn't been a true strength of that product for some time...they're just a cog in the system under Saban...and they end up just fading into obscurity after they graduate and (possibly) move to the NFL. As long as he has a huge defensive line and a couple of good RB's, they'll at least contend.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I guess it's a good thing that the QB position hasn't been a true strength of that product for some time...they're just a cog in the system under Saban...and they end up just fading into obscurity after they graduate and (possibly) move to the NFL. As long as he has a huge defensive line and a couple of good RB's, they'll at least contend.

They have a true freshman who may end up the exception before it's over. Blake Barnett is phenomenal with the most talent. But he's green and needs to bulk up.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
They have a true freshman who may end up the exception before it's over. Blake Barnett is phenomenal with the most talent. But he's green and needs to bulk up.

They said the same thing about the ginger ninja and McCarron...I don't think Saban allows QB's to flourish in his system, or at least the strength of the team seems to overshadow that position. All I do know is that Alabama hasn't brought a solid QB to the NFL since I've been alive, lol.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They said the same thing about the ginger ninja and McCarron...I don't think Saban allows QB's to flourish in his system, or at least the strength of the team seems to overshadow that position. All I do know is that Alabama hasn't brought a solid QB to the NFL since I've been alive, lol.

Some of the best QBs seem to come out of nowhere. Philip Rivers played at Athens High about 40 miles from here. I never heard of him until he was playing for the Chargers. LOL. Very few QBs out of College land a starting job in the NFL. Quarterbacks like to pass. Many 4 and 5 star pass over Bama because, historically, they like to run the ball. It has been equally mixed with Saban.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Some of the best QBs seem to come out of nowhere. Philip Rivers played at Athens High about 40 miles from here. I never heard of him until he was playing for the Chargers. LOL. Very few QBs out of College land a starting job in the NFL. Quarterbacks like to pass. Many 4 and 5 star pass over Bama because, historically, they like to run the ball. It has been equally mixed with Saban.

I disagree...I think it's pretty much the same as it's always been. They pump out RB's like nobodies business, but QB's never amount to anything. QB's usually take a while to find their NFL formula, but it seems there are definitely schools that attract them more than others. Alabama's system has worked well for them in the last decade, so I'm not saying they should change anything...just saying QB's are kind of an overshadowed position there.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I disagree...I think it's pretty much the same as it's always been. They pump out RB's like nobodies business, but QB's never amount to anything. QB's usually take a while to find their NFL formula, but it seems there are definitely schools that attract them more than others. Alabama's system has worked well for them in the last decade, so I'm not saying they should change anything...just saying QB's are kind of an overshadowed position there.

Actually, it's not the same ol same ol with Barnett. McCarron and the others had no major hype before signing with Alabama. As far as I know, Barnett is the first 5 star QB to come to Alabama. Namath and Stabler may have been had they ranked then. Most have been 3 star. Wilson may have been 4 star. Not sure. Here's Bama's top 10 quarterbacks for their time. None were 5 star.
10. Steadman Shealy
9. Greg McElroy
8. AJ McCarron
7. Jeff Rutledge
6. Steve Sloan
5. Harry Gilmer
4. Pat Trammell
3. Jay Barker
2. Ken Stabler
1. Joe Namath

Many Quarterback experts say Barnett is the real deal. We'll see next year. LOL

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That may be...I never put a lot of investment in how many stars recruits have because we've seen some really high star recruited players turn into total busts over the years in college football. I can see now what you're saying though, that is probably pretty exciting for tide fans.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234