NCAA Football 2014

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Let's put it this way, more teams in the SEC consistently rank in the top 25 than in the ACC, am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
WHAT? LOL! Are you feeling ok? This is absolutely and 110% inaccurate. You should go look at the rankings of the teams they've played so far this season.

And if you're referring to the recent playoff (former BCS) ranking...you're splitting hairs. AP rank is almost in line week to week with the official poll year in and year out.

Oh...wait, my bad. They have 1 top 25 team they have beaten. Clemson is no. 22.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Let's put it this way, more teams in the SEC consistently rank in the top 25 than in the ACC, am I wrong?

Some years sure...some years no. Last season the ACC had 5 ranked teams in the top 25 at the end of the season, the SEC had 6, and only because Vandy ended up rank #25 (how, I have no idea given their schedule at the end of the season...but that goes back to my argument about bias for the SEC in the old BCS).

And no, I'm not an FSU fan...I am, however, an ACC supporter since that is where GT plays, but only when the typical drivel comes out about how "powerful" the SEC is. It's yawn inducing.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

No, you're not. I'm not even trying to say that the SEC isn't great. But let's not kid ourselves and act like the SEC is the be-all, end-all of college football. You're looking at it in terms of region and I like to see it more objectively when judging each team. I see more PAC12 teams traveling further to play out of conference games which is more than I can say for the SEC elite.

If Alabama all of a sudden had to play Oregon next week on one week's preparation, they'd struggle to keep up with the no-huddle because Alabama isn't used to playing that. The SEC is great in their element until they get taken out of it. Unless they get like 6 weeks to prepare.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Some years sure...some years no. Last season the ACC had 5 ranked teams in the top 25 at the end of the season, the SEC had 6, and only because Vandy ended up rank #25 (how, I have no idea given their schedule at the end of the season...but that goes back to my argument about bias for the SEC in the old BCS).

And no, I'm not an FSU fan...I am, however, an ACC supporter since that is where GT plays, but only when the typical drivel comes out about how "powerful" the SEC is. It's yawn inducing.

Well I'd much rather argue teams than conferences, so I'll end it here :)

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
No, you're not. I'm not even trying to say that the SEC isn't great. But let's not kid ourselves and act like the SEC is the be-all, end-all of college football. You're looking at it in terms of region and I like to see it more objectively when judging each team. I see more PAC12 teams traveling further to play out of conference games which is more than I can say for the SEC elite.

If Alabama all of a sudden had to play Oregon next week on one week's preparation, they'd struggle to keep up with the no-huddle because Alabama isn't used to playing that. The SEC is great in their element until they get taken out of it. Unless they get like 6 weeks to prepare.

Yeah I see what you're saying and agree to an extent.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Bama handles the hurry offense better now. Several teams have used it on them this year.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Bama handles the hurry offense better now. Several teams have used it on them this year.

Actually...only a couple of teams have brought a true "hurry up offense" to Alabama (to be more technical about it, we'll call it the no huddle, since the offense really isn't running it's plays any quicker, it's just eliminating the time in between). Of those teams you played, one of them beat you with it...soooo...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Where are you getting your information man? lol...because wherever it is, you should probably STOP getting info from there.
What team that FSU has beaten this year, other than Clemson, is currently ranked in the top 25?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What team that FSU has beaten this year, other than Clemson, is currently ranked in the top 25?

FSU beat the #6 Notre Dame a few weeks back...giving them ONE less ranked victory than your beloved crimson tide. LOL! The point you're attempting to make is such a silly one, and it's obvious you don't pay much attention to the rankings of other conferences, and typical of SEC fans that I've met, any team that isn't in the SEC is a "lesser" team in the over all picture...except they played THROUGH the SEC to win national championships, like last season.

You're trying to narrow the criteria which teams are judged to fit your argument, and it's just bad form bud. Eventually you're argument will be "Which teams have FSU beat that are ranked higher than #10 that have put more than 10% of their lineup in the NFL every season and have stadium capacities over 85k...". :rolleyes:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
FSU beat the #6 Notre Dame a few weeks back...giving them ONE less ranked victory than your beloved crimson tide. LOL! The point you're attempting to make is such a silly one, and it's obvious you don't pay much attention to the rankings of other conferences, and typical of SEC fans that I've met, any team that isn't in the SEC is a "lesser" team in the over all picture...except they played THROUGH the SEC to win national championships, like last season.

You're trying to narrow the criteria which teams are judged to fit your argument, and it's just bad form bud. Eventually you're argument will be "Which teams have FSU beat that are ranked higher than #10 that have put more than 10% of their lineup in the NFL every season and have stadium capacities over 85k...". :rolleyes:
I'm not narrowing anything. What's important is now, not a few weeks ago. Strength of schedule is why FSU is 3rd, although undefeated. I'm actually a pretty big Yellow Jackets fan. I like them better than half the SEC teams.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not narrowing anything. What's important is now, not a few weeks ago. Strength of schedule is why FSU is 3rd, although undefeated. I'm actually a pretty big Yellow Jackets fan. I like them better than half the SEC teams.

You most certainly ARE narrowing...initially FSU never beat any top 25 teams, then it was "well, just one" (which was inaccurate again), and then it's "Well, what about CURRENT ranked teams...".

What's important to these teams is who they're beating or playing NOW...our argument was about you saying FSU never beat any top 25 teams, which was flat out inaccurate.

FSU is #3 right now because they almost lost to an unranked Miami. If Alabama's near loss to an unranked Arkansas happened this past weekend, they would not be #1 either. We could honestly sum up the top 4 rankings right now to dumb luck at when the bad games actually occurred...and obviously a major win over the #1 seed helps a lot.

Truly though, much like professional sports, the new playoff system gives the ride to the top 4, so aside from bragging rights, whether your #1 or #4 really isn't relevant anymore, it's all about how you do after the season is over and you enter into the playoff run...do I think FSU can beat Alabama? Yes. I absolutely do...they tend to be a team that finds a way to win regardless of their opponent. I also think that Alabama is just as strong and could just as easily beat FSU...hell, TCU could break out an amazing performance and freeze both teams.

Bottom line...SEC fans like to think they are the top of the totem pole regardless of who actually wins and loses, and it's so ridiculous. This entire argument PROVES this because you guys are trying to diminish FSU because they're not an SEC team...by critiquing their wins (which is all they have btw), and calling their inter-conference play "weak" because it's the ACC. Right now, the ACC holds the national championship...not sure how that's construed as weaker than a conference that does not hold the national championship.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
To set the record straight: FSU has played 3 top 25 teams, but only had the better talent in two of those games(although they won all three games)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You most certainly ARE narrowing...initially FSU never beat any top 25 teams, then it was "well, just one" (which was inaccurate again), and then it's "Well, what about CURRENT ranked teams...".

What's important to these teams is who they're beating or playing NOW...our argument was about you saying FSU never beat any top 25 teams, which was flat out inaccurate.

FSU is #3 right now because they almost lost to an unranked Miami. If Alabama's near loss to an unranked Arkansas happened this past weekend, they would not be #1 either. We could honestly sum up the top 4 rankings right now to dumb luck at when the bad games actually occurred...and obviously a major win over the #1 seed helps a lot.

Truly though, much like professional sports, the new playoff system gives the ride to the top 4, so aside from bragging rights, whether your #1 or #4 really isn't relevant anymore, it's all about how you do after the season is over and you enter into the playoff run...do I think FSU can beat Alabama? Yes. I absolutely do...they tend to be a team that finds a way to win regardless of their opponent.

Bottom line...SEC fans like to think they are the top of the totem pole regardless of who actually wins and loses, and it's so ridiculous. This entire argument PROVES this because you guys are trying to diminish FSU because they're not an SEC team...by critiquing their wins (which is all they have btw), and calling their inter-conference play "weak" because it's the ACC. Right now, the ACC holds the national championship...not sure how that's construed as weaker than a conference that does not hold the national championship.

I said they had zero top 25 wins. I thought Clemson would move out of the top 25. But I was referring to now. Looking at the newest top 25. I do think it's relevant. Apparently the CFP voters do. I wanted FSU to be #1. I knew Miss St would be 4th. Had that feeling. I don't want Bama to play them again. I want Bama to play Oregon, then FSU. But none of it may happen. There's Auburn and whoever wins the SEC East.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I said they had zero top 25 wins. I thought Clemson would move out of the top 25. But I was referring to now. Looking at the newest top 25. I do think it's relevant. Apparently the CFP voters do. I wanted FSU to be #1. I knew Miss St would be 4th. Had that feeling. I don't want Bama to play them again. I want Bama to play Oregon, then FSU. But none of it may happen. There's Auburn and whoever wins the SEC East.

What you think and what you type were not the same thing...my response was based on what you typed, and what you typed was inaccurate. Period.

I'm kind of over this whole splitting hairs bickering really because my team isn't even involved sadly (but a lot closer than we normally are, for better or worse).

Hilariously I was just reading an article about the rankings and about an interview with a couple of the people who are on the board who commits these rankings to reality...they said Alabama was ranked #1 this week because of their dominance and "control" of the game against Miss. State...then almost immediately afterwards they were asked why Miss State was ranked #4, and they responded "Because they kept the game close, within 5 points, against a very formidable opponent."

WTF? LOL! It looks like the logic that goes into yet another ranking system is just off the wall, bat sh*t stupid.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What you think and what you type were not the same thing...my response was based on what you typed, and what you typed was inaccurate. Period.

I'm kind of over this whole splitting hairs bickering really because my team isn't even involved sadly (but a lot closer than we normally are, for better or worse).

Hilariously I was just reading an article about the rankings and about an interview with a couple of the people who are on the board who commits these rankings to reality...they said Alabama was ranked #1 this week because of their dominance and "control" of the game against Miss. State...then almost immediately afterwards they were asked why Miss State was ranked #4, and they responded "Because they kept the game close, within 5 points, against a very formidable opponent."

WTF? LOL! It looks like the logic that goes into yet another ranking system is just off the wall, bat sh*t stupid.
LOL. There's just not a way to do it that pleases everyone. Even an 8 team playoff, like in Division ll, would have complaints. The ninth team would be grunting for sure.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods