NCAA Football 2014

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
FSU's defense is suspect as hell...I don't think they deserve the rank they have personally, and I hate saying that because it would mean more SEC in the top (which is garbage).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Garbage = Best Teams? Wow! 5 SEC teams are still in the mix for the playoff, if you include Georgia. But they would have to beat Auburn, and Bama, Ole Miss, and Miss. St. would have to lose. Or some mix of loses. The SEC might even beat up on each other to the point where none make the playoff. If it's garbage, it's the most interesting garbage in college football.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414764021.256691.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Why do you say SEC is garbage? They have the toughest, meanest teams out there...

I didn't say the SEC is garbage, I said having more SEC teams at the top of the rankings is garbage because of the bias shown to the conference...to be honest, the SEC is quite good...not sure I agree at all with your "toughest, meanest" description, but there are some very good teams in the SEC, I just get tired of seeing the preferential ranking at times.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Garbage = Best Teams? Wow! 5 SEC teams are still in the mix for the playoff, if you include Georgia. But they would have to beat Auburn, and Bama, Ole Miss, and Miss. St. would have to lose. Or some mix of loses. The SEC might even beat up on each other to the point where none make the playoff. If it's garbage, it's the most interesting garbage in college football.
View attachment 70134

You guys both mis-read my post, which I clarified above...

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say the SEC is garbage, I said having more SEC teams at the top of the rankings is garbage because of the bias shown to the conference...to be honest, the SEC is quite good...not sure I agree at all with your "toughest, meanest" description, but there are some very good teams in the SEC, I just get tired of seeing the preferential ranking at times.

Ah I see. Not sure if I agree or not. Just happens that my favorite teams are in the sec so I really don't care if they get unfair attention.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Been out of the country for three weeks, but i saw a replay of the ND vs FSU game. Anyone who thinks that penalty at the end, that cost ND the game, was legit...is crazy. I don't care whether ND is in a conference or not, they won that game, period.:p

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You guys both mis-read my post, which I clarified above...

It's not bias, it's just the best teams. Many in the top just happen to be SEC teams. It shows the strength of the conference. No more and no less.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Been out of the country for three weeks, but i saw a replay of the ND vs FSU game. Anyone who thinks that penalty at the end, that cost ND the game, was legit...is crazy. I don't care whether ND is in a conference or not, they won that game, period.:p

No one can say that ND didn't have the better talent, that's for sure.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not bias, it's just the best teams. Many in the top just happen to be SEC teams. It shows the strength of the conference. No more and no less.

And that is a biased opinion of someone who is a fan of an SEC team...they deserve ranking, but they are placed above better teams sometimes simply because they are in the SEC. Right now, Oregon is better than Ole Miss...both have 1 loss, Oregon is ranked lower. To be fair though, FSU is only where they are because they haven't lost a game, but the 3 teams above them I think would beat them. Bias goes to previous seasons performances, which is silly...it's why USC gets ranked every year but they are a scrub team.

Also, as far as the Notre Dame/FSU game goes...nothing weird about that last penalty, it was pretty clear and concise. Just because it isn't a common penalty doesn't make it wrong...and I don't care about either team to be honest, though it would be nice to see the Irish actually join a conference for once.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
And that is a biased opinion of someone who is a fan of an SEC team...they deserve ranking, but they are placed above better teams sometimes simply because they are in the SEC. Right now, Oregon is better than Ole Miss...both have 1 loss, Oregon is ranked lower. To be fair though, FSU is only where they are because they haven't lost a game, but the 3 teams above them I think would beat them. Bias goes to previous seasons performances, which is silly...it's why USC gets ranked every year but they are a scrub team.

Also, as far as the Notre Dame/FSU game goes...nothing weird about that last penalty, it was pretty clear and concise. Just because it isn't a common penalty doesn't make it wrong...and I don't care about either team to be honest.

I think fsu deserves number 1. They haven't been defeated for 24 games! Ole miss and Oregon obviously had a problem if they lost once. Fsu has been perfect. And I'm not a fsu fan persay.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think fsu deserves number 1. They haven't been defeated for 24 games! Ole miss and Oregon obviously had a problem if they lost once. Fsu has been perfect. And I'm not a fsu fan persay.

Ranking should be based on several identifying marks though, including strength of schedule...FSU has squeaked by in at least 3 of the games they've played this season against teams that shouldn't have been as close. Now I understand the "Any Given Saturday" concept, it's basically the only hope I have with my yellow jackets against your dawgs or even the likes of FSU...but these rankings bias previous season performance vs. current power numbers. Being undefeated certainly counts for something, but let's say GT was undefeated right now, do they deserve to be in the top 10? HELL no...but they would be, because there's really no consistencies in the rankings, which was the issue with the BCS, and it seems to have just followed suit into the new playoff system.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Also, as far as the Notre Dame/FSU game goes...nothing weird about that last penalty, it was pretty clear and concise. Just because it isn't a common penalty doesn't make it wrong...and I don't care about either team to be honest, though it would be nice to see the Irish actually join a conference for once.

You're biased then because you're not an SEC fan. It's not about bias. The SEC had been doing exceptionally well with recruiting in recent years. Winning National Championships will do that. Oregon would already have at least 3 loses if they were playing in the SEC. There was a time when I thought the polls were biased against the SEC. That was a long time ago. I believe they rank or judge the teams the same. The SEC just has more teams that the system ranks high. My cousin played at GT. He was what they called then a halfback. His name was Terry Haddock. This was around 1965. He was fast, but small. Bama thought so anyway. But he went on to play pro for the Cardinals a short while.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You're biased then because you're not an SEC fan. It's not about bias. The SEC had been doing exceptionally well with recruiting in recent years. Winning National Championships will do that. Oregon would already have at least 3 loses if they were playing in the SEC. There was a time when I thought the polls were biased against the SEC. That was a long time ago. I believe they rank or judge the teams the same. The SEC just has more teams that the system ranks high. My cousin played at GT. He was what they called then a halfback. His name was Terry Haddock. This was around 1965. He was fast, but small. Bama thought so anyway. But he went on to play pro for the Cardinals a short while.

I can't believe you typed that with a straight face. You know what defines your bias? The fact that you said Oregon would definitely have 3 losses simply if the opponents were SEC teams. That is the just BS...you haven't a clue what COULD happen, and this is my entire point. You assume because of historic wins that the SEC would dominate in the now...interesting because last year, an unranked and **** poor GT team took a "potential national championship contender" (according to SEC fans) UGA to the brink of a loss while going into the game a 14 point underdog. ANY GIVEN SATURDAY.

Assuming the SEC rules the roost is what so many people do...including ones in charge of figuring rank. FSU proved last year that THAT thought process was flawed...and while I don't care at all about FSU, I'll pull for them simply in the hope of seeing that new playoff trophy stay out of the SEC. And you're damn right I'm biased against them...1,000%.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe you typed that with a straight face. You know what defines your bias? The fact that you said Oregon would definitely have 3 losses simply if the opponents were SEC teams. That is the just BS...you haven't a clue what COULD happen, and this is my entire point. You assume because of historic wins that the SEC would dominate in the now...interesting because last year, an unranked and **** poor GT team took a "potential national championship contender" (according to SEC fans) UGA to the brink of a loss while going into the game a 14 point underdog. ANY GIVEN SATURDAY.

Assuming the SEC rules the roost is what so many people do...including ones in charge of figuring rank. FSU proved last year that THAT thought process was flawed...and while I don't care at all about FSU, I'll pull for them simply in the hope of seeing that new playoff trophy stay out of the SEC. And you're damn right I'm biased against them...1,000%.

Yes, I'm a bit biased, but I'm not on the selection committee. I can't see how you figure they are. I think they're doing the best they can, unbiased. As a whole, they probably don't like so many SEC teams in the top 4 or 6. But it is what it is. I'd be willing to wager that the committee would breathe a sigh of relief if and when the SEC teams systematically beat each other out of contention. At the end, there may not be but 1 SEC team left in the top 4. Maybe none.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not the amount of SEC teams I get really torn up about honestly...if that many are good enough to be up there, then it is what it is...what I get tired of seeing is ranking assessments not based on current performances but on historic performances. But whatever...i really don't care about ANY team outside of GT, so my passion against the SEC is mainly focused on UGA, lol. And Alabama since my twit of a sister in law and my brother are the weird kind of fans that love the team but know **** squat about football. My other brother is a die hard U fan, and I give him a lot of credit, especially since he sticks by them when they are terrible as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73