Alex Rodriguez you've been banned!

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
It's the longest suspension :) :)

Silly Elizabeth2, google "Shoeless" Joe Jackson. He was suspended for life supposedly losing on purpose in the White Sox scandal. It's okay, I understand...I guess your trying to be cute saying longest suspension for this type of incident?

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Silly Cracked.... Semantics... There is a difference between banned for life and suspended for a season. No one has been suspended for a season before... This is also the longest suspension ever meted by MLB.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Silly Elizabeth2, google "Shoeless" Joe Jackson. He was suspended for life supposedly losing on purpose in the White Sox scandal. It's okay, I understand...I guess your trying to be cute saying longest suspension for this type of incident?

Hahahaha yep I was trying to be funny as in Donald's 'You're Fired' type of headline... Hadn't thought that thru :)

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Silly Cracked.... Semantics... There is a difference between banned for life and suspended for a season. No one has been suspended for a season before... This is also the longest suspension ever meted by MLB.

37 have received lifetime bans of which 14 were reinstated. A lifetime ban is LONGER than a one season suspension?

You're right, nobody has been suspended for a single season, but clearly others have been suspended for longer than a season? So what is it that you're arguing.

If even a single person has been banned for life than that is longer than a one season suspension? Lifetime vs One Year?

Let me repeat...this IS NOT the longest suspension meted ever. A lifetime ban is longer than a one season suspension.

It's a ridiculous discussion. He got 162 games plus the post season and then can return. 8 players from the 1920 White Sox were told they could never play again. Enough said.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
37 have received lifetime bans of which 14 were reinstated. A lifetime ban is LONGER than a one season suspension?

You're right, nobody has been suspended for a single season, but clearly others have been suspended for longer than a season? So what is it that you're arguing.

If even a single person has been banned for life than that is longer than a one season suspension? Lifetime vs One Year?

Let me repeat...this IS NOT the longest suspension meted ever. A lifetime ban is longer than a one season suspension.

It's a ridiculous discussion. He got 162 games plus the post season and then can return. 8 players from the 1920 White Sox were told they could never play again. Enough said.

I think the joke was more that a ban is not a suspension. Since they were banned then this would be longest suspension.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think someone banned cannot be involved in MLB in any way like Pete Rose.
A Rod is just suspended for a season and post season. Even if he retires he could get a job coaching or managing years down the line in MLB and could appear on the ballot for the HOF.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
First of all, he’s old. He’ll be 39 in July. That means that, assuming his taking the issue to the courts system doesn’t give him any relief, he’ll turn 40 during the year of his return. Way to old for a shortstop/3rd baseman, IMO.

Second, the Yankees have to replace him this year, while saving $25M. Why not spend that $25M on a permanent replacement with some longevity remaining - and with a lot less arrogance and attitude.

I am hearing some (mainly Yankee fans) complain that Ryan Braun got less than 60 game suspension and A-Rod is getting 162... why the different sentence for essentially the same "crime"?

I also heard an interesting "solution" to the whole PED thing. If a player is caught, he get suspended for the rest of the season whether it’s game 1 or game 161. But additionally, the team owners and management are fined heavily and the player's team is immediately ruled ineligible for post-season play. The issue would immediately become self-policing, and no one would ever want to be the guy who got his team ruled ineligible for the post-season. The only problem with that solution is that it would have NO impact on teams like Toronto, the Cubs, the White Sox, Miami, etc.

I’m not saying that this "solution" won’t work, or that it’s even something that could/should be implemented, but I can’t disagree with the concept.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There's never been a suspension for an entire season before, yet you compare that to a lifetime ban, and the two are equal in your world. Ridiculous indeed.

Edit to add... even the NY Times is calling it the longest suspension in MLB history...

Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was barred for 162 games and the 2014 postseason, the longest suspension for doping in baseball history, after an arbitrator upheld most of the punishment sought by Major League Baseball.

Last edited:

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
There's never been a suspension for an entire season before, yet you compare that to a lifetime ban, and the two are equal in your world. Ridiculous indeed.

Edit to add... even the NY Times is calling it the longest suspension in MLB history...

Do you even read posts before commenting? You said I compared a suspension to a lifetime ban being equal? I am doing the exact opposite.

They all fall under the same umbrella. A one game suspension, 50 game suspension, 162 game suspension, lifetime ban. They are all suspensions of different length. Newspapers like the NY Times have even said "not counting lifetime bans" because there is no way to calculate how many years a lifetime ban is. Banning a 25 year old for life is different than banning a 35 year old because of the amount of playing time they have left in their career.

Why are you so adamant about this. If your job said come back in a year or you're never allowed back. Which is a longer period of time before you can come back. Can't really compare the two, but never allowed back implies longer than one year. We would say you were suspended for a year or you were fired.

There really is no need at this point to comment back, clearly we are entitled to both feel how we feel and think what we think. I respect your perspective, I simply believe you don't comprehend mine, which is okay. We respectfully disagree.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The confusion or issue here is the terminology...there has never been a suspension of this nature before, because a banned player is not suspended, they are banned. This IS the longest suspension because of the wording...this is NOT the longest punishment.

And either way, F' A-Rod.

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
The confusion or issue here is the terminology...there has never been a suspension of this nature before, because a banned player is not suspended, they are banned. This IS the longest suspension because of the wording...this is NOT the longest punishment.

And either way, F' A-Rod.

That's the point I was trying to make...well said.

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
First of all, he?s old. He?ll be 39 in July. That means that, assuming his taking the issue to the courts system doesn?t give him any relief, he?ll turn 40 during the year of his return. Way to old for a shortstop/3rd baseman, IMO.

Second, the Yankees have to replace him this year, while saving $25M. Why not spend that $25M on a permanent replacement with some longevity remaining - and with a lot less arrogance and attitude.

I am hearing some (mainly Yankee fans) complain that Ryan Braun got less than 60 game suspension and A-Rod is getting 162... why the different sentence for essentially the same "crime"?

I also heard an interesting "solution" to the whole PED thing. If a player is caught, he get suspended for the rest of the season whether it?s game 1 or game 161. But additionally, the team owners and management are fined heavily and the player's team is immediately ruled ineligible for post-season play. The issue would immediately become self-policing, and no one would ever want to be the guy who got his team ruled ineligible for the post-season. The only problem with that solution is that it would have NO impact on teams like Toronto, the Cubs, the White Sox, Miami, etc.

I?m not saying that this "solution" won?t work, or that it?s even something that could/should be implemented, but I can?t disagree with the concept.

Two things. With A-Rod the Yankees are over 25M over the cap and have large luxury taxes. Now that they don't have to pay him they are very close to the cap and avoiding any luxury tax. Thus most insiders don't think they'll spend much to replace him for one a season. They can't stop him from returning next season unless they buy him out.

Lastly, the Yankees fans don't get it. Braun's suspension was for using PED's. A-Rod's is for obstruction and various other things like hiring an attorney for Bio owner and impeding several investigations. You can't compare Braun to A-Rod, although they both did cheat.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Two things. With A-Rod the Yankees are over 25M over the cap and have large luxury taxes. Now that they don't have to pay him they are very close to the cap and avoiding any luxury tax. Thus most insiders don't think they'll spend much to replace him for one a season. They can't stop him from returning next season unless they buy him out.

Lastly, the Yankees fans don't get it. Braun's suspension was for using PED's. A-Rod's is for obstruction and various other things like hiring an attorney for Bio owner and impeding several investigations. You can't compare Braun to A-Rod, although they both did cheat.

Why do you say Yankee fans don't get it? I am a Yankee fan and I am well aware why Aroid got more than the others. Anyone who followed the case is aware that he obstructed justice. He is an embarrassment to the organization and to baseball.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

No argument regarding the penalty imposed and the charges/accusations. IMHO, the Yankees will buy A-Rod out IF he wants to come back in 2015. Bottom line, Rodriguez is done in New York. That’s my opinion and I’m standing by it.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
No argument regarding the penalty imposed and the charges/accusations. IMHO, the Yankees will buy A-Rod out IF he wants to come back in 2015. Bottom line, Rodriguez is done in New York. That?s my opinion and I?m standing by it.

I hope you are right about buy out. He will absolutely want to come back. He is that much of a tool.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I hope you are right about buy out. He will absolutely want to come back. He is that much of a tool.

The real problem with people like him is that they are incredibly self-centered, narcissistic and continually want to be where they are not wanted/welcome.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
A Rod like most narcissist are master manipulators.
Going on the radio after that first meeting with MLB is what I believe is impression management. He's been doing this probably all his life.
He was hoping that people would say. "Why would he go on the radio and deny if he was guilty?"

This is exactly what he/narcissist do, create that question that doubt no matter the evidence against him.
A narcissist rarely slinks away quietly.
In his mind the world, Bud Selig and the Yankees are out to destroy him.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal