NFL Discussion thread

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am an Patriots fan, but wrong is wrong. Period. Having said that, I don't know what might be an appropriate punishment. I mean, it's not as simple as it is with the NCAA. Would fines, loss of draft picks, game suspensions, forfeiture of the upcoming season's playoff games (if applicable) be sufficient? I highly doubt they'll strip the Patriots of the current Conference and Super Bowl championships.

Last edited:

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I am an Patriots fan, but wrong is wrong. Period. Having said that, I don't know what might be an appropriate punishment. I mean, it's not as simple as it is with the NCAA. Would fines, loss of draft picks, game suspensions, forfeiture of the upcoming season's playoff games (if applicable) be sufficient? I highly doubt they'll strip the Patriots of the current Conference and Super Bowl championships.

A fine more than likely.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
If Goodell doesn't throw the book at the Patriots organization, I freaking dare him to ever speak about the integrity of the game again. What a joke.

Just so you know where I stand, for my part, the Patriots management, staff and players are lying, cheating scum.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If Goodell doesn't throw the book at the Patriots organization, I freaking dare him to ever speak about the integrity of the game again. What a joke.

Just so you know where I stand, for my part, the Patriots management, staff and players are lying, cheating scum.

Don't hold back now...(laughing)....Seriously, I downloaded the Wells report and plan to read it when I have the opportunity. I'll try to read it in its entirety after work later this evening.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but that could go either way. It could make me think twice about cheating again, or make me think twice about cheating off of that particular person again.

So the idea is that if you promise to "learn from it", cheating shouldn't be punished if you don't ultimately benefit from it?

Yikes.

And a fine doesn't hurt these guys. You make $10,000,000 and you get fined $10,000, it'd be like going 100mph in a 55 zone, and the fine is $25. Nobody would "learn" anything...they'd just pay their fine and be done with it...like parking tickets.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

They'll stick to their typical actions I'm guessing, and then later another team who isn't so influential to the league will do something similar, and they'll make an example out of that them and people will forget about the Patriots (until they cheat...AGAIN).

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
So the idea is that if you promise to "learn from it", cheating shouldn't be punished if you don't ultimately benefit from it?

I was answering the analogy with a response that is logical, I am not saying that in regards to the Patriots. Cheating should be punished but if the Patriots were losing and cheating then it would be stupid to penalize them. They already in that scenario are losers, what is the point of penalizing them?

And a fine doesn't hurt these guys. You make $10,000,000 and you get fined $10,000, it'd be like going 100mph in a 55 zone, and the fine is $25. Nobody would "learn" anything...they'd just pay their fine and be done with it...like parking tickets.

I mean considering that the league tried to brush off worst things in recent years, I don't personally see the point of trying to tear down the entire organization over something that probably had little to no effect on the outcome of games.

In your analogy for example, with tickets, if they aren't paid on time or have to go to court, they can still show up on your record. Which in context of the patriots, if there is a monetary penalty people will always remember that and the public face of the Patriots would be tarnished. That is a punishment in itself.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I was answering the analogy with a response that is logical, I am not saying that in regards to the Patriots. Cheating should be punished but if the Patriots were losing and cheating then it would be stupid to penalize them. They already in that scenario are losers, what is the point of penalizing them?

So to you, if a person fails at the activity in which they were cheating...the failure is punishment enough?

It's scary to think you actually believe that is sound logic. The reality is that in that scenario, there IS no penalty...only an outcome. This is the reason why many professors and teachers will give out multiple versions of tests...if you aren't caught cheating, you still fail, and if you ARE caught cheating, you fail and you face the consequences of cheating. It's all about consequences...whether you find success or not is not a consequence of cheating, that is a result of not being prepared. You're essentially saying it's not fair to the team to be punished beyond the initial failure or lack of success...you are plainly stating that cheating should not be punished in this scenario, and that makes no sense.

I mean considering that the league tried to brush off worst things in recent years, I don't personally see the point of trying to tear down the entire organization over something that probably had little to no effect on the outcome of games.

In your analogy for example, with tickets, if they aren't paid on time or have to go to court, they can still show up on your record. Which in context of the patriots, if there is a monetary penalty people will always remember that and the public face of the Patriots would be tarnished. That is a punishment in itself.

What has the NFL tried to brush off? I may not agree with the extent of their punishments, but I don't remember ANYTHING they tried to simply "brush off".

You also missed the point of my "ticket" analogy...had nothing to do with NOT paying the citations, it had to do with simply ignoring the broken law by paying an inconsequential citation and learning nothing from it. I hate continuing to have to use analogies but it seems this is just flying over your head...but if you have a child, and the child was told not to go into the cookie jar but does it anyways...they are breaking the rules whether they get a cookie or not...by your logic, if they don't get a cookie out of the jar, but are caught in the act, they shouldn't be punished for ignoring the rules, because they didn't get a cookie.

I don't understand how this is a proper result to you.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So to you, if a person fails at the activity in which they were cheating...the failure is punishment enough?

It's scary to think you actually believe that is sound logic. The reality is that in that scenario, there IS no penalty...only an outcome. This is the reason why many professors and teachers will give out multiple versions of tests...if you aren't caught cheating, you still fail, and if you ARE caught cheating, you fail and you face the consequences of cheating. It's all about consequences...whether you find success or not is not a consequence of cheating, that is a result of not being prepared. You're essentially saying it's not fair to the team to be punished beyond the initial failure or lack of success...you are plainly stating that cheating should not be punished in this scenario, and that makes no sense.

What has the NFL tried to brush off? I may not agree with the extent of their punishments, but I don't remember ANYTHING they tried to simply "brush off".

You also missed the point of my "ticket" analogy...had nothing to do with NOT paying the citations, it had to do with simply ignoring the broken law by paying an inconsequential citation and learning nothing from it. I hate continuing to have to use analogies but it seems this is just flying over your head...but if you have a child, and the child was told not to go into the cookie jar but does it anyways...they are breaking the rules whether they get a cookie or not...by your logic, if they don't get a cookie out of the jar, but are caught in the act, they shouldn't be punished for ignoring the rules, because they didn't get a cookie.

I don't understand how this is a proper result to you.

I really think we've been around this mountain a time or two already with this guy. SMH.

Richard Nixon ended up resigning the presidency because of the cheating scandal - and the subsequent cover up of the absolutely unnecessary Watergate break-in - all to defeat George McGovern - despite the fact that he would easily have defeated him without the need to cheat or break the law.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I really think we've been around this mountain a time or two already with this guy. SMH.

Richard Nixon ended up resigning the presidency because of the cheating scandal - and the subsequent cover up of the absolutely unnecessary Watergate break-in - all to defeat George McGovern - despite the fact that he would easily have defeated him without the need to cheat or break the law.

Yeah, but you know, since he's here, might as well try and get him to either A.) Figure out the logic that people are trying to instill on him, or B.) Continue to respond in the fashion we've grown accustomed to and get some laughs out of it.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but you know, since he's here, might as well try and get him to either A.) Figure out the logic that people are trying to instill on him, or B.) Continue to respond in the fashion we've grown accustomed to and get some laughs out of it.

Talk like a damn adult. I see what you are saying. But you continue to ignore whatever I say and write your own narrative. Time and again. Wow, you make every thread you in just terrible. It is fun being an old keyboard warrior I suppose? This forum is a joke. Can't even have a freaking civil conversation on a NFL thread. Nope, Sean has to condescend and demean others to make some semblance of a point.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Talk like a damn adult. I see what you are saying. But you continue to ignore whatever I say and write your own narrative. Time and again. Wow, you make every thread you in just terrible. It is fun being an old keyboard warrior I suppose? This forum is a joke. Can't even have a freaking civil conversation on a NFL thread. Nope, Sean has to condescend and demean others to make some semblance of a point.

OCiB1.gif

Feel better now?

I made a clear and concise point. Your logic about cheating is just flat out wrong. What else do you want? A pat on the back for coming back from a hiatus? Well here you go. Welcome back A895...glad to see you haven't changed a bit buddy! I hope you stick around for a while, I do enjoy experiencing your posts.

I'm sorry you think this forum is a joke...but considering you could easily block me so you don't see my meanie pants posts, it must be more than just that.

Anyways...back to the NFL discussions...looks like Dante Fowler had some good pre-rookie camp contracts in place to protect him and his 1st round income/long term contract with the Jags. I feel terrible for the Jaguars though...that was a major pick up for them and now they won't see him until at least early '16...like Clowney last season.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice