NFL Discussion thread

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't care what anyone says about have had it worked he would be praised. It was beyond stupid to try to be a contrarian on that call.

Belichick didn't call a timeout because he said it will come down to that and wasn't going to afford them time to do it. He also probably just knew that that play was coming because of the personnel on the field (results of studying film). How about instead of even running that play the Hawks just call a timeout as a result of seeing the Patriots personnel? Yeah, armchair coaching, I know. But come on. Just feed it to Lynch in the 3 shots you had.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't care what anyone says about have had it worked he would be praised. It was beyond stupid to try to be a contrarian on that call.

Belichick didn't call a timeout because he said it will come down to that and wasn't going to afford them time to do it. He also probably just knew that that play was coming because of the personnel on the field (results of studying film). How about instead of even running that play the Hawks just call a timeout as a result of seeing the Patriots personnel? Yeah, armchair coaching, I know. But come on. Just feed it to Lynch in the 3 shots you had.

(Laughing)....Come on now. Don't hold back!....;)

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It was also an awful throw on Wilson's part...who I feel is a very overrated QB (take away his running ability and he's a backup at best). He didn't look good all night, and was making some terrible throws. He underthrew the deep ball so many times. Anyway, on the goal line play, he should have placed the ball on the receiver's back, outside shoulder instead of the inside where the D was in position to make the pick. Had he done that, it should have been an easy touchdown.

I think Carrol out smarted himself with the play call. In that scenario, you keep it simple and pound it in.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I took the day off today because I'm hung over...

Best super bowl I've ever seen in my life.

Worst call I've ever seen in my life.

Lynch could fall over and get 3 yards...yet they line up in shotgun for a yard and take a SEMI-technical QB (and that's being liberal with the word) in Wilson and have him try to thread the needle?

Two very good teams, one very bad call...Pats are champs.

Now I gotta go eat some bread and try to soak this sh*t up...lol!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It was a dumb call. They couldn't stop Lynch the whole game, and he would have at least 2 tries to get one yard.

I heard a stat this morning that he only made 1 of 5 TDs in that situation this year. Still could have tried it as they had two time outs.

I'm happy though. After beating my Packers in heart breaking fashion two weeks prior it was good to see them lose in a similar situation.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It was also an awful throw on Wilson's part...

I have to completely disagree on that. The play was read like a book and it was just unfortunate that he got intercepted. He couldn't have made a better throw.

It just wasn't a good play call for that situation. And Belichick completely put the pressure on the Seahawks when he didn't call a timeout.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have to completely disagree on that. The play was read like a book and it was just unfortunate that he got intercepted. He couldn't have made a better throw.

I agree. The pass itself was spot-on, and as I stated earlier, under any other circumstances, the play would have worked.

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm a British NFL fan and I've seen most Super Bowl games over the past 25 years. Last night's was a great game with fortune switching between the teams. The Seahawks are clearly a great team with a QB who will be a future legend of the game, but for me Tom Brady is Da Man and I was backing the Patriots all the way through the season to win Super Bowl.
My team the Cowboys had a much better season than I had expected, so watch out for them next season.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

It just wasn't a good play call for that situation. And Belichick completely put the pressure on the Seahawks when he didn't call a timeout.

I agree with everything, but if you watch the play again...and I only saw it live, didn't watch replays...it looked like if he threw to the outside shoulder it would have been a better ball for the receiver to catch.

Could be wrong, but just my two cents

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Pass wasn't terrible, but apparently from what I've read, the play that was called was supposed to have a pass that was low and tight towards the receiver on the slant. Wilson lead the receiver about 2 feet too much, and it created a gap for Butler to get in there.

So Wilson's lack of true precision was shown, but really, I don't blame him at all...Butler made one HELL of a defensive move, and the call was just awful to begin with.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I agree with everything, but if you watch the play again...and I only saw it live, didn't watch replays...it looked like if he threw to the outside shoulder it would have been a better ball for the receiver to catch.

Could be wrong, but just my two cents

I actually think Lockette got beaten to the spot by Butler.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Falcons and fans welcome Dan Quinn to Atlanta as our new head coach today! I'm excited to see what he does with the team...though I'm hearing big time rumors that Julio Jones is heading out the door. I don't mind terribly because I don't think the Falcons need an $18mil. receiver...

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank says new coach Dan Quinn has final say over 53-man roster - ESPN

Based on the receiving personnel of each of the two teams in the Super Bowl, nobody needs an overly-paid receiver.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather see a big time contract with a down hill running back like Lynch vs. a high paid receiver renewal like Julio...if there's anything that our team has been missing outside of defense and an offensive line, it's a strong RB since Michael Turner left. Steven Jackson was a complete waste of time...

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
It's a bad day to be a Seahawks fan, but at the same time they did make it to the Super Bowl and to be that close they could mess up a close situation like that is nothing to be ashamed of. That being said STUPID call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete Carroll is a whining bi*ch. I'm glad he lost. I hated him at USC.:p