NFL Discussion thread

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I think Vic Ketchman from "Ask Vic" has some great insight coming from many years of covering the NFL:

From his Q&A article "We all signed up for this"
I covered a Steelers-Raiders game in Oakland in 1973. We dubbed it the “Dirty Tricks Game” because the Raiders repeatedly sent “doctored” footballs into the game. On one occasion, Ray Mansfield leaned on the football and it went flat. On another occasion, the ball was covered in Vaseline. Other times, dirty words were written on the ball. In those days, the process for providing footballs was much different; it wasn’t nearly as secure. I remember how much fun we all had writing the story and finding ways to use the word expletive to hint at what was written on the balls. Times have changed. Football has become a witch hunt. It’s become crime and punishment, instead of mischief and laughter. I don’t know what the deal is with “Deflategate,” though I’m sure I won’t be spared the details over the next several days. What I will say about it is this: Let’s get the truth; let’s find out if this is the work of a serial cheater. I have no doubt the commissioner will take it from there.

Last edited:

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya, iEd. I have seen only one championship in my lifetime...Phillies in '08 (I don't count the Sixers in '83, because I was 1). I pray that I see the Lombardi trophy and Stanley Cup in Philly before I die!

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I heard an interview with Aaron Rodgers about the balls being deflated. He was saying that he has bigger hands, so he likes the ball to be pumped up pretty well.

But think about it...and I have no idea what Brady's hand size is...but in the bitter cold northeast, a deflated ball is much easier, and less painful, to deal with. The QB (Brady) has a much better grip, and the receivers have an easier time catching. The 1 out of the 12 balls that weren't deflated...I am assuming was for kick offs and punts, which makes sense because you would want an inflated ball for that so it will travel farther.

Do I think this was what made the colts lose? Absolutely not...I believe the pats would win no matter what. That being said, someone in the organization broke the rules. And this is not the first time this organization has done so...they are constantly involved in scandal. Look at the playoff game against the ravens...Harbaugh ran onto the field to argue with the refs about the patriots' illegal changes, formations, and eligible receivers and HE was the one penalized. There always seems to be something with the patriots.

I feel that a fine or a loss of draft picks would be laughed at by the patriots, and it wouldn't negatively effect them. I feel they need to have a strict punishment forced on them...I just have no idea what it should be.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya, iEd. I have seen only one championship in my lifetime...Phillies in '08 (I don't count the Sixers in '83, because I was 1). I pray that I see the Lombardi trophy and Stanley Cup in Philly before I die!
I saw the both the Flyers in 74 and 75 I was 12 and 13
I saw the Phillies in 1980 I was 18
The Sixers in 83 I was 21
Phillies in 08 I was 46
I'm getting nervous about the Eagles. I consider every Eagles season a failure if they don't win the Super Bowl. Every team in the NFC East has multiple SB's. It drives me nuts.
Now Seattle (who I like) could be on the verge of a repeat. They weren't even existence when I starting watching Football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I swear to god this is a South Park episode writing itself...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"I like to condition my balls...I like to keep them safe and then use the balls I'm comfortable with when I hit the field."

I'm literally crying with laughter right now!!!

Dolls_Laughing.gif

palandri

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I heard a former NFL player trying to justify the deflated footballs by saying over and over, "He was just trying to get a competitive edge". No dummy, it's cheating.

Attachments

• patslogo2.jpg
    patslogo2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 52

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what they could do to fix the Pro Bowl. I tried to watch it to get my football fix but just didn't do it.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what they could do to fix the Pro Bowl. I tried to watch it to get my football fix but just didn't do it.

I’m not really sure they can fix it.

For one thing, football is a much different sport than baseball, hockey or basketball. Because of the beating one's body takes, it requires recovery time. In the other 3 major sports, they simply schedule a 4-5 day break around mid-season, play one game, and go back to "normal". With football, that’s not possible, It would take a full week.

Next, because it’s a "contact" sport, the risk of injury is much higher. Do you want your star quarterback or running back or wide receiver knocked out for a couple of games because he participated in an all star game and got hurt? Doubtful.

Then, there’s the question of when to play. If it is to be at all relevant, it must be played within the time frame of the "football season". Holding it in March, for example, would garner little attention. And playing it the week between the conference championship game and the Super Bowl Big Game precludes the players from the Big Game teams from participating due to breaking their focus on the Big Game and the risk of injury.

Finally, there’s the issue of those selected who are either legitimately hurt or say they are to get out of playing.

I think the move away from AFC/NFC teams and into the teams divided up as they have been for the past 2 years is an attempt to do something to draw attention to it. But IMO, that failed miserably.