NFL Discussion thread

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
No they need new owners who stop chasing the trophy coaches and players and just get the "workman-like" coaches and players that can get the job done.

Daniel Synder is a dope. Is he GM also?
The Shananhan's philosophy isn't working for this group. I don't think the players are feeling him. Like when they had McNabb. Ok he can't play anymore just sit him cut him don't dis him like the Shananhan's did

#Naked Tuesday

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Daniel Synder is a dope. Is he GM also?
The Shananhan's philosophy isn't working for this group. I don't think the players are feeling him. Like when they had McNabb. Ok he can't play anymore just sit him cut him don't dis him like the Shananhan's did

#Naked Tuesday

Sounds familar

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Mad talk on ESPN about the lack of love on that team. Well it seems once you get a season worth of film on a running QB it's a wrap. Same thing with Kaepernick.

#Naked Tuesday

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That is a really weird situation up in DC...honestly, that would be a terrible environment to play football. My Falcons may be doing terrible this season, but that is one thing you DEFINITELY don't hear about is animosity within the team. They take responsibility as a team, fingers don't get pointed (even when they should sometimes).

RG3 is rattled. He came into the NFL on a high, and he got absolutely blasted with a pretty significant injury, one that probably scared the **** out of him and made him second guess himself when he scrambles...and that is where his problem comes into play, because that's his bread and butter...to be honest, he's a slightly above average throwing QB who really shines when he gets in trouble and takes off on his feet. What good is a running QB who second guesses the run game under pressure?

There's one thing that differentiates RG3 from Kaepernick(sp?) and Russell Wilson...they've never experienced a serious injury doing what they do best. You know who has? Michael Vick...and look at him now. Replaced by Foles after one single, high powered offensive showing. One. The sad thing about these kinds of QB's is they are useless once they are rattled...you can clearly see this with Vick. After Vick took a major injury, he's never been the same. He'll have a burst of excellence, but then it just returns to a mediocre game...in a league that eats mediocre for breakfast. You have to be going 110% every game at full health to even find remote success as a mobile QB in the NFL.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That is a really weird situation up in DC...honestly, that would be a terrible environment to play football. My Falcons may be doing terrible this season, but that is one thing you DEFINITELY don't hear about is animosity within the team. They take responsibility as a team, fingers don't get pointed (even when they should sometimes).

RG3 is rattled. He came into the NFL on a high, and he got absolutely blasted with a pretty significant injury, one that probably scared the **** out of him and made him second guess himself when he scrambles...and that is where his problem comes into play, because that's his bread and butter...to be honest, he's a slightly above average throwing QB who really shines when he gets in trouble and takes off on his feet. What good is a running QB who second guesses the run game under pressure?

There's one thing that differentiates RG3 from Kaepernick(sp?) and Russell Wilson...they've never experienced a serious injury doing what they do best. You know who has? Michael Vick...and look at him now. Replaced by Foles after one single, high powered offensive showing. One. The sad thing about these kinds of QB's is they are useless once they are rattled...you can clearly see this with Vick. After Vick took a major injury, he's never been the same. He'll have a burst of excellence, but then it just returns to a mediocre game...in a league that eats mediocre for breakfast. You have to be going 110% every game at full health to even find remote success as a mobile QB in the NFL.

There are 2 things I would like to add. 1: Wilson isn't stupid to begin with. He knows when to run and when not to. And he knows how to slide. 2: Foles is the man! I've been behind him since preseason of last year. I knew it would be a matter of time before Vick would get injured as expected and Foles would get a chance to show what he can really do.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There are 2 things I would like to add. 1: Wilson isn't stupid to begin with. He knows when to run and when not to. And he knows how to slide. 2: Foles is the man! I've been behind him since preseason of last year. I knew it would be a matter of time before Vick would get injured as expected and Foles would get a chance to show what he can really do.

Agreed...I was actually shocked when the Eagles signed Chip Kelly as it made me realize they still believed in Vick, and were still investing in that game. I was questioning it all the way up until Vick went down (again...like you said, as expected), and then Foles came out and showed why he was the better QB to begin with. To be honest with you, with Foles in that position, if the Eagles don't find success, Chip's future there is going to be short lived, and they'll go with a more contemporary setup in the captain's chair.

This also sent a shock wave through the NFL. I guarantee you that you'll never see a mobile QB draft higher than solid passing QB in the future. Watch what the Jags do in the draft and the Browns...watch the QB's they target.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Agreed...I was actually shocked when the Eagles signed Chip Kelly as it made me realize they still believed in Vick, and were still investing in that game. I was questioning it all the way up until Vick went down (again...like you said, as expected), and then Foles came out and showed why he was the better QB to begin with. To be honest with you, with Foles in that position, if the Eagles don't find success, Chip's future there is going to be short lived, and they'll go with a more contemporary setup in the captain's chair.

This also sent a shock wave through the NFL. I guarantee you that you'll never see a mobile QB draft higher than solid passing QB in the future. Watch what the Jags do in the draft and the Browns...watch the QB's they target.

Kelly made me pretty nervous with his whole "quarterback competition" thing because at one point we had I think 6 QBs. Even though I wanted Foles right from the beginning, deep down I sort of knew he would just go with Vick by default that that irritated me. At least now he seems sold on Foles so that's all that matters.

I agree. In a quarterback, look for a solid passer FIRST. If he can run, that can be a positive or negative depending on how it is used. A good quarterback should be able to run when he needs to but shouldn't have to almost rely on it (like Vick, for example).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Kelly made me pretty nervous with his whole "quarterback competition" thing because at one point we had I think 6 QBs. Even though I wanted Foles right from the beginning, deep down I sort of knew he would just go with Vick by default that that irritated me. At least now he seems sold on Foles so that's all that matters.

I agree. In a quarterback, look for a solid passer FIRST. If he can run, that can be a positive or negative depending on how it is used. A good quarterback should be able to run when he needs to but shouldn't have to almost rely on it (like Vick, for example).

What sucks is that the NFL has grown so complacent when it comes to their QB's being able to scramble, that they focus less time on the offensive line, and it comes back to bite many teams in the ***...look at the Falcons. They spent a good chunk of 2000's with a primetime scrambler, so they never really got any of these amazing veteran O-liners, and now, with an almost PURELY pocket passing presence, they have an O-line made out of Kraft Mac and Cheese. By the time they have a developed and experienced O-line around Matt Ryan, the guy will have been in the league for a decade, lol.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What sucks is that the NFL has grown so complacent when it comes to their QB's being able to scramble, that they focus less time on the offensive line, and it comes back to bite many teams in the ***...look at the Falcons. They spent a good chunk of 2000's with a primetime scrambler, so they never really got any of these amazing veteran O-liners, and now, with an almost PURELY pocket passing presence, they have an O-line made out of Kraft Mac and Cheese. By the time they have a developed and experienced O-line around Matt Ryan, the guy will have been in the league for a decade, lol.

O-line is really underrated. Last year, Jay Cutler had none. I'm surprised he made it through it. And the Eagles offensive line without Jason Peters is scary as well. But something I found interesting is that Foles gets sacked about 5 times as less (or some crazy number like that) than Vick. Why? Because with a rushing QB, you don't know where they are and it makes the offensive line's job much harder. They don't know where the pocket is. With Vick bouncing around like a jack in the box, the pocket could be anywhere, or he might not even be in the pocket.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
O-line is really underrated. Last year, Jay Cutler had none. I'm surprised he made it through it. And the Eagles offensive line without Jason Peters is scary as well. But something I found interesting is that Foles gets sacked about 5 times as less (or some crazy number like that) than Vick. Why? Because with a rushing QB, you don't know where they are and it makes the offensive line's job much harder. They don't know where the pocket is. With Vick bouncing around like a jack in the box, the pocket could be anywhere, or he might not even be in the pocket.

That's the problem man! Cutler DIDN'T make it through! He looks like Favre did in his last season with the Vikings, and Cutler's only been in the league, what, 6 years? That guy is so beat up it's not even funny, and he's actually a pretty tough dude from the hits I've seen him take...Stafford is another one in the same arena...tough QB, but is getting decimated early with hits and injuries.

Vick certainly didn't make his O-lines job easy, but you'd think these teams would put more focus in it with QB's like Ryan, lol. He's been here several years and still doesn't have a good offensive line!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's the problem man! Cutler DIDN'T make it through! He looks like Favre did in his last season with the Vikings, and Cutler's only been in the league, what, 6 years? That guy is so beat up it's not even funny, and he's actually a pretty tough dude from the hits I've seen him take...Stafford is another one in the same arena...tough QB, but is getting decimated early with hits and injuries.

Vick certainly didn't make his O-lines job easy, but you'd think these teams would put more focus in it with QB's like Ryan, lol. He's been here several years and still doesn't have a good offensive line!

Cutler made it through... but he didn't make it through. It's tough to explain but you get it. There are a lot of good quarterbacks out there who have bad offensive lines or had bad offensive lines. They really hold the whole offense back.

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So torn...Huge Eagles fan. Foles playing great, but is he the future? Great run right now, but can't help but think he's not our guy.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So torn...Huge Eagles fan. Foles playing great, but is he the future? Great run right now, but can't help but think he's not our guy.

Why not? He's young. He's a great pocket passer but can run when he needs to. As far as I'm concerned, he's the perfect guy. Build a team around him and let him and the team grow.

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Why not? He's young. He's a great pocket passer but can run when he needs to. As far as I'm concerned, he's the perfect guy. Build a team around him and let him and the team grow.

To me it comes down to how the season plays out. If we make the playoffs, he's our guy. If we don't they'll move on with the excuse that even with terrible NFC East couldn't get it done and that he "didn't beat anyone good". I think they should give him a chance but Atlanta and Tampa Bay will be in the Top 5 and neither need QB's so could easily be enticed into a trade. Okay, so Atlanta definitely doesn't need a QB, and Tampa is on the fence, seems like their happy with who's under center right now.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To me it comes down to how the season plays out. If we make the playoffs, he's our guy. If we don't they'll move on with the excuse that even with terrible NFC East couldn't get it done and that he "didn't beat anyone good". I think they should give him a chance but Atlanta and Tampa Bay will be in the Top 5 and neither need QB's so could easily be enticed into a trade. Okay, so Atlanta definitely doesn't need a QB, and Tampa is on the fence, seems like their happy with who's under center right now.

Phew! I thought you were going to be that lone Vick loyalist here! HAHA! I think you guys have great QB in Foles who will just keep getting better. I'd really start questioning the Chip Kelly hiring though now...not sure that will fit in with the Eagles future as much as other coaches could have.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Phew! I thought you were going to be that lone Vick loyalist here! HAHA! I think you guys have great QB in Foles who will just keep getting better. I'd really start questioning the Chip Kelly hiring though now...not sure that will fit in with the Eagles future as much as other coaches could have.

If he wins the division his first year then I don't know if anyone can honestly make a claim that he isn't the guy. If they had started Foles from the beginning, the division may have been wrapped up already.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR