NFL Discussion thread

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So, tell me, sports fans... am I the only one who things the combination of Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth make up the absolute worst announcing team in the history of sports announcing?

Heck, I?d rather listen to Howard Cosell and my ex-wife... (and THAT's saying something!)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i do have to say Cutler looks like a SB QB these days and just last year fans wanted his head on a platter

#NFLproblems

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i do have to say Cutler looks like a SB QB these days and just last year fans wanted his head on a platter

#NFLproblems

I agree. A big part of his improvement is Trestman. He’s got a rep of fixing QB issues... I’ve heard reports that the first thing he did was sit down with Cutler and show him film of every sack, every fumble and every INT from last season... and then went to work fixing what Trestman saw as the problem(s). Cutler is definitely improved this year... and, of course, so has the Bears OL. The combination of adding the 2 rookies (Long and Mills) and losing J'marcus Webb equals a tremendous upgrade there...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So, tell me, sports fans... am I the only one who things the combination of Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth make up the absolute worst announcing team in the history of sports announcing?

Heck, I’d rather listen to Howard Cosell and my ex-wife... (and THAT's saying something!)
I'm indifferent towards them as a team... Al is OK... Collinsworth could go away and I'd not miss him... I detest Joe Buck... and loathe Kenny Albert... and wish the NFL Network's Thursday Night game team could get some weekend gigs.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

Heck, I’d rather listen to Howard Cosell and my ex-wife... (and THAT's saying something!)

they're horrible. i even turned the volume down at times

i miss John Madden

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I agree. A big part of his improvement is Trestman. He’s got a rep of fixing QB issues... I’ve heard reports that the first thing he did was sit down with Cutler and show him film of every sack, every fumble and every INT from last season... and then went to work fixing what Trestman saw as the problem(s). Cutler is definitely improved this year... and, of course, so has the Bears OL. The combination of adding the 2 rookies (Long and Mills) and losing J'marcus Webb equals a tremendous upgrade there...

it's a long season, as we know. but it's looking good for them... for now

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Heck, I?d rather listen to Howard Cosell and my ex-wife... (and THAT's saying something!)

I don't mind them. I wish John Madden was still with Al Michaels.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So who wants to debate the "franchise tag" scenario? You know, where your favorite team has a star player whose contract is up, but rather than work out an equitable contract to retain that player's services, they label him a "franchise player" and retain him for the upcoming season. His compensation is calculated by a formula devised by the NFL, the owners and the Players Association... then, based on how well he performs in the season, the team an player can do the dance all over again... or the player can sign with another team...

Personally, I think it’s incredibly unfair to the player who assumes ALL the risk. Rather than be able to negotiate on the free agent market for the best deal he can get, he’s stuck playing for a team who says they want to retain his services, but don’t want to pay him what the player thinks he’s worth - but at the same time said player is unable to test his value on the open market.

Why do I bring this up now? Reports this morning confirmed that Bears DT Henry Melton tore his ACL last night in the Steeler game. And guess what? Melton was carrying the Bears' franchise tag. So Melton gets surgery, is out the rest of the year... and will be lucky to even find a job next year. Will he be ready to play? Will he be able to play? Will he be able to earn anything close to what he would have gotten had he not gotten injured? In this scenario, the Bears rolled the dice and won. Except for Henry Melton, the dice came up 'snake eyes'.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
So who wants to debate the "franchise tag" scenario? You know, where your favorite team has a star player whose contract is up, but rather than work out an equitable contract to retain that player's services, they label him a "franchise player" and retain him for the upcoming season. His compensation is calculated by a formula devised by the NFL, the owners and the Players Association... then, based on how well he performs in the season, the team an player can do the dance all over again... or the player can sign with another team...

Personally, I think it?s incredibly unfair to the player who assumes ALL the risk. Rather than be able to negotiate on the free agent market for the best deal he can get, he?s stuck playing for a team who says they want to retain his services, but don?t want to pay him what the player thinks he?s worth - but at the same time said player is unable to test his value on the open market.

Why do I bring this up now? Reports this morning confirmed that Bears DT Henry Melton tore his ACL last night in the Steeler game. And guess what? Melton was carrying the Bears' franchise tag. So Melton gets surgery, is out the rest of the year... and will be lucky to even find a job next year. Will he be ready to play? Will he be able to play? Will he be able to earn anything close to what he would have gotten had he not gotten injured? In this scenario, the Bears rolled the dice and won. Except for Henry Melton, the dice came up 'snake eyes'.

I saw that, but then again that player is paid higher for 1 year than he would have been if he had a multi year deal, but now that he blew out his knee, hes kinda screwed for next years free agency if the "Dabears" 😉 dont step up. So it's a glass half full scenario I guess.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods