Can we make the reviews here a little more unbiased??

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
The reviews on this site have made it impossible to know if something is a decent product or not. I get that a manufacturer is giving you product for free, but the reviews on this site have really gotten comical. Every single product is 4 stars or above. According to iMore, even if the product has several cons, its still a 4 star product.

Case in point, the recent LifeProof Case review. Its obviously a really bad product and the reviewer was desperately trying to find anything positive to say about the case. It doesn't even shut all the way with no cards stuck in it and it doesn't allow for wireless charging when it advertises that it does. The case still gets a 4 star review?

Like I said, I get that its free product, but the reviews are so misleading by the scores they are given. It almost begs the question of why review them at all if no one takes any of the reviews serious.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wait now. Every review is subjective, regardless of the reviewer. Take, for example, the iOS 13 betas. My experience with them has been overwhelmingly positive, but others have found it overwhelmingly negative. If I give it an excellent review, am I not basing it on “my” experience? If so, why should my positive review automatically be viewed as “biased” simply because someone else gave a negative review?

Why are bad reviews automatically considered “unbiased”?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
13.1 betas 1 & 2 were ok for me. 3 & 4 were the suckage and because of that I got off the beta program. This review is my personal experience.

Bias?

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Wait now. Every review is subjective, regardless of the reviewer. Take, for example, the iOS 13 betas. My experience with them has been overwhelmingly positive, but others have found it overwhelmingly negative. If I give it an excellent review, am I not basing it on “my” experience? If so, why should my positive review automatically be viewed as “biased” simply because someone else gave a negative review?

Why are bad reviews automatically considered “unbiased”?

That's a great point, but not what my point is. In the review I was citing, the actual content was overwhelmingly negative, but the Lifeproof case still got 4 out of 5 stars. If a product doesn't work well but its still given an overall positive rating then I think it devalues the entire point of reviewing anything here.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
That's a great point, but not what my point is. In the review I was citing, the actual content was overwhelmingly negative, but the Lifeproof case still got 4 out of 5 stars. If a product doesn't work well but its still given an overall positive rating then I think it devalues the entire point of reviewing anything here.

I get your point. When I'm reviewing something on Amazon, I have been aware that I tend to give more stars than my actual written review edits. I think it's because there can be so many factors to consider- the product itself, the ease of ordering, the shipping process- was it timely, the communication from the seller, etc. When I decide how many stars to give, my decision encompasses all of those factors. But when reviewing a product here on iMore, perhaps the only thing that matters should be the product itself.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I get your point. When I'm reviewing something on Amazon, I have been aware that I tend to give more stars than my actual written review edits. I think it's because there can be so many factors to consider- the product itself, the ease of ordering, the shipping process- was it timely, the communication from the seller, etc. When I decide how many stars to give, my decision encompasses all of those factors. But when reviewing a product here on iMore, perhaps the only thing that matters should be the product itself.

The review I think you are referring can be found via the following link: https://www.imore.com/lifeproof-flip-series-iphone-case-review

I read the review. In my opinion, the reviewer reviewed the case and gave what he considered an appropriate 4 out 5 restart rating. The question is why the high rating?

Well, near the beginning of the review, the reviewer stated, “The company is known for its highly protective cases. Protection is always going to take precedence over aesthetics with LifeProof cases.”

While you focused on the aesthetics that the reviewer mentioned, his rating was based on the bottom line - the level of protection the case provides.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The reviews on this site have made it impossible to know if something is a decent product or not. I get that a manufacturer is giving you product for free, but the reviews on this site have really gotten comical. Every single product is 4 stars or above. According to iMore, even if the product has several cons, its still a 4 star product.

Case in point, the recent LifeProof Case review. Its obviously a really bad product and the reviewer was desperately trying to find anything positive to say about the case. It doesn't even shut all the way with no cards stuck in it and it doesn't allow for wireless charging when it advertises that it does. The case still gets a 4 star review?

Like I said, I get that its free product, but the reviews are so misleading by the scores they are given. It almost begs the question of why review them at all if no one takes any of the reviews serious.

I totally agree with you.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Guys, please, what OP said is totally correct, this site became almost intolerable some time ago by now. Problem is: it's forum is still the best for iOS and Apple products out there, so we need to tolerate all the junkie iMore has posted, without even a chance to rip them off in the Tapatalk app. It's simply annoying, iMore itself became the biggest spammer I have memory of.

So, in my opinion, yes, iMore reviews lost every single bit of credibility some time ago.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
The review I think you are referring can be found via the following link: https://www.imore.com/lifeproof-flip-series-iphone-case-review

I read the review. In my opinion, the reviewer reviewed the case and gave what he considered an appropriate 4 out 5 restart rating. The question is why the high rating?

Well, near the beginning of the review, the reviewer stated, “The company is known for its highly protective cases. Protection is always going to take precedence over aesthetics with LifeProof cases.”

While you focused on the aesthetics that the reviewer mentioned, his rating was based on the bottom line - the level of protection the case provides.

Let’s recap. The review states that LifeProof is known for its highly protective cases. Actually, they WERE known for their waterproof cases but haven’t really been relevant since Apple introduced waterproof phones. But thats a minor quibble so I’ll move on.

Reviewer states case can withstand a 6 foot drop. Let me repeat that, a 6 foot drop. Ummm, my Apple leather case can withstand a 6 foot drop. How is a 6 foot drop offering any type of special protection. If LifeProof is known for its highly protective cases, 6 feet is the best they can advertise? Thats 1 star off for me right there. It’s almost embarrassing that they are even making that claim like its some sort of major feet to be able to drop your phone from 6 feet and it survive in this case.

Secondly, she says the phone won’t shut completely with three cards in it. In fact, she says it won’t shut flush with ZERO cards in it. Horrible design gets another star removed.

The company advertises wireless charging. Reviewer states that phone is not in fact compatible with wireless charging. Definitely 1 star off. That’s being generous as 2 stars off for false advertising would be fair, but we will keep it at 1 off.

Thats 3 stars off for a 2 stars out of 5 stars rating, which is totally justified based on this review. With all that’s listed above, I just think its ridiculous to give this case a 4 star out of 5 star review. A 4 out of 5 is essentially saying that the case is nearly perfect minus a little annoyance that takes away 1 star, which is hardly the case with this product.

It’s obvious this case is trash (it has a 2 star rating on Amazon) but since it was given to iMore at no charge, or in return for advertising money, iMOre just pumps out a 4 star review. And its not just this review, its the been the norm for all of them for a while now.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let’s recap. The review states that LifeProof is known for its highly protective cases. Actually, they WERE known for their waterproof cases but haven’t really been relevant since Apple introduced waterproof phones. But thats a minor quibble so I’ll move on.

Reviewer states case can withstand a 6 foot drop. Let me repeat that, a 6 foot drop. Ummm, my Apple leather case can withstand a 6 foot drop. How is a 6 foot drop offering any type of special protection. If LifeProof is known for its highly protective cases, 6 feet is the best they can advertise? Thats 1 star off for me right there. It’s almost embarrassing that they are even making that claim like its some sort of major feet to be able to drop your phone from 6 feet and it survive in this case.

Secondly, she says the phone won’t shut completely with three cards in it. In fact, she says it won’t shut flush with ZERO cards in it. Horrible design gets another star removed.

The company advertises wireless charging. Reviewer states that phone is not in fact compatible with wireless charging. Definitely 1 star off. That’s being generous as 2 stars off for false advertising would be fair, but we will keep it at 1 off.

Thats 3 stars off for a 2 stars out of 5 stars rating, which is totally justified based on this review. With all that’s listed above, I just think its ridiculous to give this case a 4 star out of 5 star review. A 4 out of 5 is essentially saying that the case is nearly perfect minus a little annoyance that takes away 1 star, which is hardly the case with this product.

It’s obvious this case is trash (it has a 2 star rating on Amazon) but since it was given to iMore at no charge, or in return for advertising money, iMOre just pumps out a 4 star review. And its not just this review, its the been the norm for all of them for a while now.
@donnation, you do know that I don't have a problem with your personal opinion, right? If that is what you think then so be it. If you've read enough of my posts over the years then you would know my tendencies in the forums....:cool:

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
@donnation, you do know that I don't have a problem with your personal opinion, right? If that is what you think then so be it. If you've read enough of my posts over the years then you would know my tendencies in the forums....:cool:

Yes I realize that. But if you’re going to point out her review as being positive I simply am offering how she points out an awful lot of negative with the case.

Again, this section of the forum is called “Site Feedback” so that’s what I’m giving.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes I realize that. But if you’re going to point out her review as being positive I simply am offering how she points out an awful lot of negative with the case.

Again, this section of the forum is called “Site Feedback” so that’s what I’m giving.

Understood...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73