Do you guys proofread even the titles of articles anymore? I've been here since TiPB, and have seen quality drop recently. How does a title like "Does Visible's iPhones come unlocked when you buy through them?" get through? Quick way to know that's wrong is to answer it:

"Visible's iPhones does come unlocked..."
    or
    "Visible's iPhones DO come unlocked..."

Which sounds right?

Edit: I'm not talking about tricky grammar, this seems basic enough. Unless the titles are written by non-native speakers?
    09-05-2019 07:42 AM
    Are you some kind of teacher? I think as long as we can understand what a member is trying to convey why should it matter. The iMore members make up many different countries where English is not their first language. It's ok, we are not writing term papers for a grade. Enjoy
    Annie_8plus, Tartarus and A_M_W like this.
    09-05-2019 07:56 AM
    Was this on the iMore blog? Is this what you are referring to: https://www.imore.com/are-iphones-pu...sible-unlocked
    09-05-2019 09:03 AM
    Was this on the iMore blog? Is this what you are referring to: https://www.imore.com/are-iphones-pu...sible-unlocked
    Thanks for the clarification @Golfdriver97. I actually thought the OP was referring to thread titles.
    09-05-2019 09:12 AM
    Maybe I need to turn in my nerd card, BUT it looks right to me!
    09-05-2019 09:16 AM
    Maybe I need to turn in my nerd card, BUT it looks right to me!
    LOL, it looks right to me as well, but I've been out of school for so long almost anything looks right. Where's the "Grammar Police" when you need them.
    09-05-2019 09:22 AM
    Do you guys proofread even the titles of articles anymore? I've been here since TiPB, and have seen quality drop recently.
    Well I joined MoNa 4/4/2010, primarily hanging out at Android Central. And forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea what TiPB is. Maybe I'm just not part if the "in" crowd to know what that stand for.......or maybe I'm too old to know.......or maybe I just don't really care enough about it to want to know.

But apparently the OP had noticed a "quality drop recently" between that time frame (TiPB) and now. Can you give any other specific examples of this quality drop? And just what is your time frame for "recently"?

How does a title like "Does Visible's iPhones come unlocked when you buy through them?" get through? Quick way to know that's wrong is to answer it:

or

Which sounds right?
    Who are you asking? re you asking a recent college graduate? Are you asking a current high school student? Are you asking a senior? (For clarification, the word "senior" is used to describe a person 60 years of age or older and NOT someone in the top grade of their educational facility)

Edit: I'm not talking about tricky grammar, this seems basic enough. Unless the titles are written by non-native speakers?
    Oh, puh-leese clarify this. Technically I'm a "non-native speaker". Exactly who are you describing here?

Just my $.02 on the matter.
    Tartarus and Spencerdl like this.
    09-05-2019 12:18 PM
    Do you guys proofread even the titles of articles anymore? I've been here since TiPB, and have seen quality drop recently. How does a title like "Does Visible's iPhones come unlocked when you buy through them?" get through? Quick way to know that's wrong is to answer it:

or

Which sounds right?

To answer your questions, yes when time permits and yes, many of the thread titles are created by non-native speakers. I’ll try to find the time to edit titles this weekend.
    09-05-2019 01:09 PM
    To answer your questions, yes when time permits and yes, many of the thread titles are created by non-native speakers. I’ll try to find the time to edit titles this weekend.
    I personally think this is not necessary for one...person, that feels the need to be a...English writing critic...Just my .02 cents.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-05-2019 01:29 PM
    I personally think this is not necessary for one...person, that feels the need to be a...English writing critic...Just my .02 cents.
    I agree. Typos and incomprehensible titles aside, there should be no interference imo.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    09-05-2019 01:42 PM
    I agree 100%. I could say a lot more about this, but out of politeness, I'll refrain!
    Spencerdl likes this.
    09-05-2019 02:37 PM
    I agree 100%. I could say a lot more about this, but out of politeness, I'll refrain!
    I'm tired of being polite and politically correct. Time for me to start speaking my mind.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    09-05-2019 08:02 PM
    Agreed, but I try to take a day out of the week to edit thread titles accordingly. Been doing it here for years, but time has been scarce as of late.
    Spencerdl and Trees like this.
    09-05-2019 08:38 PM
    Well I joined MoNa 4/4/2010, primarily hanging out at Android Central. And forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea what TiPB is. Maybe I'm just not part if the "in" crowd to know what that stand for.......or maybe I'm too old to know.......or maybe I just don't really care enough about it to want to know.

But apparently the OP had noticed a "quality drop recently" between that time frame (TiPB) and now. Can you give any other specific examples of this quality drop? And just what is your time frame for "recently"?

Who are you asking? re you asking a recent college graduate? Are you asking a current high school student? Are you asking a senior? (For clarification, the word "senior" is used to describe a person 60 years of age or older and NOT someone in the top grade of their educational facility)

Oh, puh-leese clarify this. Technically I'm a "non-native speaker". Exactly who are you describing here?

Just my $.02 on the matter.
    TiPB - The iPhone Blog, iMore before name change. Regardless, from my own viewings, recently would be the last year or two. Little grammatical errors here and there, they happen. I think it’s more noticeable now with the ever increasing influx of blog articles though.
    Spencerdl and Annie_8plus like this.
    09-05-2019 10:28 PM
    I'm going to add 1 more.

Anyone else notice some of these "articles" have comments disabled? Why? Can't handle the heat?
    09-06-2019 10:21 AM
    Oh, and before it gets edited:

https://forums.imore.com/imore-com-n...ml#post3157991

Proofreading?-screen-shot-2019-09-06-12.21.43-pm.png

APPLE PLAY??????
    09-06-2019 11:22 AM
    Are you some kind of teacher? I think as long as we can understand what a member is trying to convey why should it matter. The iMore members make up many different countries where English is not their first language. It's ok, we are not writing term papers for a grade. Enjoy
    To me, the better the English the easier it is to understand. While I don’t really take issue with text language, occasional typos or easy to understand yet basic English there are some posts/comments/questions where the English is so bad that it is nearly incomprehensible...thereby limiting my (and maybe others’) abilities to help them/reply as we don’t know what they actually mean, so we have to guess.
    09-06-2019 11:45 AM
    Oh, and before it gets edited:

https://forums.imore.com/imore-com-n...ml#post3157991

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 12.21.43 PM.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	126782

APPLE PLAY??????
    Pretty embarrassing for iMore to get spelling wrong.
    09-06-2019 11:45 AM
    To me, the better the English the easier it is to understand. While I don’t really take issue with text language, occasional typos or easy to understand yet basic English there are some posts/comments/questions where the English is so bad that it is nearly incomprehensible...thereby limiting my (and maybe others’) abilities to help them/reply as we don’t know what they actually mean, so we have to guess.
    Well yeah, if it's that bad and doesn't make sense then yes a little editing is understandable. That's not what I was referring to.
    We're not going to make this an issue especially when I have read in the past new members scared to post because there ability to write "proper" English is...challenging.
    Let's just move along and welcome those who do not have an English degree from Harvard. Thanks
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-06-2019 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD