Opinion: The iMore blog has gone way down hill

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Literally one of the posts last week was: Does this particular battery case have a button? Followed by "Best Answer: Yes, it has a button" with a couple of paragraphs stating that it has a button.

This morning: Can you wear this device as a clip? "Best Answer: Yes." Followed by a paragraph showing that it can be worn as a clip.

That's the best content the site can come up with? Honestly I feel like these types of posts are driving people away from this site. The forums are almost non-existent now and those types of blog posts along with non-stop credit card posts and Nintendo Switch posts are pushing people away.

I will get continued requests to not use an ad blocker when iMore has become essentially a shill site that will constantly push ads disguised as blog posts down our throats. The content used to be so much better but has seriously gotten awful.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Interesting. However, there may also be things happening "behind the scenes" that we know nothing about.

Just food for thought.

EDIT - Although I would like to see any post started by imore.com not appear in "today's posts". Just a suggestion.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I am not a fan of all the Withings, Polaroid and Fitbit posts, but I understand why they are being posted. Yet, if a post has anything remotely to do with using our Apple Devices, about Apps, sales on products like cables and chargers, cases, watch bands, etc. then I don't mind! Lord knows, they've certainly enabled me to open my wallet on more than one occasion! :D

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I am not a fan of all the Withings, Polaroid and Fitbit posts, but I understand why they are being posted. Yet, if a post has anything remotely to do with using our Apple Devices, about Apps, sales on products like cables and chargers, cases, watch bands, etc. then I don't mind! Lord knows, they've certainly enabled me to open my wallet on more than one occasion! :D

Agreed!!!!

But I'm not giving up my ad blockers. :)

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Agreed!!!!

But I'm not giving up my ad blockers. :)

You shouldn’t. iMore is constantly running sponsored ads disguised as blog posts. I get it, they need a revenue stream, but some of the posts are just posts for the sake of doing another advertisement. I mean when you have a post entitled “Does the Mophie juice pack have a power button?” you aren’t getting high quality writing.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Likewise re Ad Blocking....Given the choice I normally use paid apps as a way of supporting the developers ( once I have trialed an ad supported basic version.) It's only fair....

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Likewise re Ad Blocking....Given the choice I normally use paid apps as a way of supporting the developers ( once I have trialed an ad supported basic version.) It's only fair....

Agreed. And if iMore had a subscription that did away with ads and all the iMore posts, I'd pay for it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
You shouldn’t. iMore is constantly running sponsored ads disguised as blog posts. I get it, they need a revenue stream, but some of the posts are just posts for the sake of doing another advertisement. I mean when you have a post entitled “Does the Mophie juice pack have a power button?” you aren’t getting high quality writing.

Well like I said, there may be a log of things happening behind the scenes we are not aware of and may also be above our pay grade.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There isn’t any doubt that the iMore Blog site has gone through significant changes the past few years. We’ve witnessed the changes to its color scheme, the incorporation of articles in regard to Pokémon Go and other game focused content as well as an influx of ads. Yes, the changes have turned some people off, but it has also attracted some people.

I can assure you that your complaints and the complaints of others have indeed been brought to the attention of those who run the site and hopefully, they’ll be addressed soon.

I have personally requested that the theme revert back to being blue and that the crowded look of the site take on a less crowded look.

Will things ever be like they once were? I doubt it. People come and go and there’s a new breed of members who are into the things being written about and they may outnumber those of us who prefer that iMore remain loyal to its Apple roots.

Last edited:

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I would block all iMore posts in my notebook, tablet and smartphone if I could. Spam and weak content, only. It's becoming a too higher price to pay already to access the really interesting and useful posted here... By the users. Sad to compare with what this site and forum was few years ago.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I find myself going down my "unread" list in TapaTalk, and deleting all the iMore.com posts before I read anything. They're really annoying!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
iMore is becoming iLess ! I do not find any pleasure in having to avoid the advertisement/posts on this “forum” there used to be a lot of interesting posts on this.... not much any more,I think that this is a shame and would like to see the end of the semi disguised ads and the return of the blue format instead of this baby poo colour. I mean why run this as a separate app if its just a load of iMore website links ?

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Sad to see more evidence that today's totally $$ driven, short term wisdom and instant reward / gratification always winning out over quality and depth of field. It's a diluted approach taken by business in general to ensure quick profit, but at what cost??

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree with you guys and am just as frustrated as all of you are. I also realize Mobile Nations (MoNa) needs to generate revenue to pay for this site as well as all their other sites. That said, I think that as regular users of iMore, there's another way to look at it.

What kind of things do you look for when you come to a forum like this? What kind of topics would you like to see addressed? Personally, I try and come up with different things to post... I post questions when I need help, and try and help others when I can. And, as iMore regulars, you all do that too. So if we continue making a concerted effort in creating threads, and participating regularly, then I think the iMore Forums will flourish. IMHO :)

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you guys and am just as frustrated as all of you are. I also realize Mobile Nations (MoNa) needs to generate revenue to pay for this site as well as all their other sites. That said, I think that as regular users of iMore, there's another way to look at it.

What kind of things do you look for when you come to a forum like this? What kind of topics would you like to see addressed? Personally, I try and come up with different things to post... I post questions when I need help, and try and help others when I can. And, as iMore regulars, you all do that too. So if we continue making a concerted effort in creating threads, and participating regularly, then I think the iMore Forums will flourish. IMHO :)

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I am generally looking for reviews and user feedback about product ( Hardware, Software & Apps) as well as a place to share any issues I may have had with Apple devices with the hope that whatever I am having a problem which is probably not unique and that someone out there has experienced something similar and can share either ideas or solutions.
I am very impressed with the quality of the feedback and the co-operative demeanour of the majority of members and moderators as well as the wide range of skills & experience represented. The is very little of the 'one upmanship' and ready 'put-down' one sees in supposedly similar forums and the positive atmosphere normally seen here builds on Itself. Of course the opposite can also be true and has put many competing online forums into death spirals over the years

Last edited:

duckduckgoose

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I like the imore reviews better than the silly word games and such. Everyone’s tastes are different and like others have said, it’s pretty easy to go through and delete the posts you don’t like and then read the ‘cream’.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro