Opinion: The iMore blog has gone way down hill

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I like the imore reviews better than the silly word games and such. Everyone’s tastes are different and like others have said, it’s pretty easy to go through and delete the posts you don’t like and then read the ‘cream’.

That's very true! We all have different preferences, and that's what I think is great about iMore... there's something for everyone. Personally, I enjoy the reviews about things that pertain (even remotely) to our Apple devices.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't mind paying a subscription fee for this either.
I wouldn't care, either. But, my question is: why just iMore choose this crap monetisation solution? I'm a frequent user of Android and Blackberry nforums as wells and them simply doesn't post this huge amount of crap like here... I mean... Serious the guys needed to go this route to earn money? I don't think iMore is any less important than Android Central and, specially, Crackberry forums. Just my opinion.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
6 out of the Homepage's 10 posts are on Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. The other two are ads for Amazon and some wireless earbuds. 1 out of the 10 articles as of this writing has anything to do with Apple. There is a difference between needing to write ad posts every few stories but nearly EVERYTHING that iMore publishes now is an ad that has nothing to do with Apple.

And while we are at it, many, many times when they post Apple articles its just a repost of something that they've posted about 10 times before. None of their "How To" articles are ever updated. They just repost them again and again regardless if the information they are posting is still correct.

The forums are dying in here and its because no one comes to the site anymore because of stuff like that on the homepage.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. And if iMore had a subscription that did away with ads and all the iMore posts, I'd pay for it.

I still would like for them to try it as opposed to dismissing it. They could do both; the subscription takes away the ads, or most of them, and those who don't wish to subscribe, it's fine. It doesn't have to be an all in one way or the other.

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
6 out of the Homepage's 10 posts are on Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.

For some context, remember when Pokemon Go was released and there was a flood of those posts? Well, those posts are still some of the highest ranking posts on iMore to this day. Given Harry Potter is pretty much the same game, only with Harry Potter, it makes sense to try and recapture/recreate that audience potential with a different franchise. It's effectively the same thing as what the app is doing.

And while we are at it, many, many times when they post Apple articles its just a repost of something that they've posted about 10 times before. None of their "How To" articles are ever updated. They just repost them again and again regardless if the information they are posting is still correct.

Generally speaking, 'repeat posts' have an update or new information included in them. Same with the How To articles. Not every How To requires an update as the information remains unchanged but for the most part, if a How To was updated there is a change in there somewhere, even if it's something as small as a version number / OS mention.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
For some context, remember when Pokemon Go was released and there was a flood of those posts? Well, those posts are still some of the highest ranking posts on iMore to this day. Given Harry Potter is pretty much the same game, only with Harry Potter, it makes sense to try and recapture/recreate that audience potential with a different franchise. It's effectively the same thing as what the app is doing.

Generally speaking, 'repeat posts' have an update or new information included in them. Same with the How To articles. Not every How To requires an update as the information remains unchanged but for the most part, if a How To was updated there is a change in there somewhere, even if it's something as small as a version number / OS mention.

Fair points and I meant no disrespect to anyone but this is site feedback so I thought I’d give some.

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Fair points and I meant no disrespect to anyone but this is site feedback so I thought I’d give some.

I know you didn't, I just wanted to add some further context and explanations behind some of the reasoning. The internet is changing and unless you play some of the games, you get left out/behind.

Using the example of How To posts, say iMore updated it but never pushed it to the top again, search engines would never look at or show the latest information (reindex). They would continue to show that old information, which of course is not helping anyone. iMore would effectively be punished for having old information.

Updating the post, adding new info, and pushing it to the top again forces search engines to find it and reindex that new info and that helps keep iMore relevant in searches and reaching the audience it needs to. I totally get that it might be dumb or stupid to someone who follows the info or already knows, but there's always someone searching for that knowledge.

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 4.26.13 PM.png

^^ This is a good example of how Google plays around, though, not the best. If that info was old and outdated, it would never show up and iMore would be replaced with another site.

danib62

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't post here often but sadly I came here to express the same sentiment. I started following Mobile Nations sites back in the precentral days and made my way over to iOS/iMore when Palm went belly up. Most of the articles seems to either be clickbait or excuses to get you to click on affiliate links. I think what really annoys me are the millions of posts that ask inane questions with obvious answers especially when they split up related news stories/posts into multiple posts. It really pains me because precentral and tipb used to be my go to sources for tech news but now what's left of Mobile Nations is a joke. I keep wondering how much longer I'll let them fill up my feedly and facebook page with what amounts to spam.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
To go back to Anne_’s question, I come here to look at/for threads about how to operate my own devices, what can be done with them and information about new Apple stuff. I have already mentioned some of the things I don’t like about iMore forums but have not said anything about how very helpful people have been on this forum in the past when I have had problems, thank you, those people.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
To go back to Anne_’s question, I come here to look at/for threads about how to operate my own devices, what can be done with them and information about new Apple stuff. I have already mentioned some of the things I don’t like about iMore forums but have not said anything about how very helpful people have been on this forum in the past when I have had problems, thank you, those people.

Agreed, a lot of posts here have resolved iOS issues I was having (and got me to enroll in public betas), so this has been a very helpful site.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Remember folks we always have the forums for more specific discussions and for member helping member situations. As you may (or may not know) we have a team of volunteers that specifically are tasked with answering questions and helping people. In fact ALL of our volunteers are tasked with this!

If you have any interest in helping with Q&A Team, or any other team, please shoot me a PM and I will put you in touch with the correct people. You can also get more info and such on volunteer teams via our Volunteer Hub...

https://forums.imore.com/volunteer-hub/

Be part of the solution!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Remember folks we always have the forums for more specific discussions and for member helping member situations. As you may (or may not know) we have a team of volunteers that specifically are tasked with answering questions and helping people. In fact ALL of our volunteers are tasked with this!

If you have any interest in helping with Q&A Team, or any other team, please shoot me a PM and I will put you in touch with the correct people. You can also get more info and such on volunteer teams via our Volunteer Hub...

Be part of the solution!

Exactly this. If you have feelings and concerns about iMore and care enough to have taken the time to post in this thread, then why not be a part of the solution?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Exactly this. If you have feelings and concerns about iMore and care enough to have taken the time to post in this thread, then why not be a part of the solution?

Would that be like saying if you didn't vote in the last election, please keep the complaints to yourself?
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

danib62

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Be part of the solution!

Having the greatest forums in the world isn't going to stop the homepage and RSS feed from being clogged with garbage.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73