When did iMore stop being an Apple site?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I've said before I'd pay for an add free subscription.

That's not the point. It's like saying that it's OK to pirate Netflix content because you would prefer a pay-per-download fee, but they only offer a subscription. It's up to the provider of the content to determine the conditions under which they make it available. It's not up to you.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
If I am using an antenna to detect local tv channels for me to view, and I decided to get up to go do something every time a commercial is displayed, am I freeloading? Are those channels not offered to the public free of charge? Is iMore not open to the public free of charge? Although ads are available for viewing, there’s nothing that states that I have to view them. No one is stopping the ads. We are, however, preventing the ads from being displayed on our devices. Nothing more.

I agree with all of that. However, you are completely missing the point. I will repeat - completely missing the point.
Someone has to pay for the upkeep of this site.
If you are blocking the adverts, you are accessing the site without contributing to its upkeep.
The question is not whether you prevented from blocking the ads on this site. Clearly you are not. The question is whether it is *right* and *sustainable* to block the ads on this site. And how you should compensate people like me who do not block the ads and are therefore paying for your use of the site.

Yes, I do agree with you, but blocking ads from displaying on one’s devices is not freeloading. I’ve maintained for years that advertisers, in general, do not give a crap about people’s rights.

If you are blocking the ads, how are you contributing your share of the costs of running the site?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't even read the free newspaper I get. The only time I keep them is if I'm planning on building a fire in the fire pit. Am I freeloading?

That's not the same thing. I assume the free newspaper is an unsolicited delivery to you. Whereas I assume you choose to visit this site.

I'm quite surprised that you had to ask me about this.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I agree with all of that. However, you are completely missing the point. I will repeat - completely missing the point.
If you are blocking the adverts, you are accessing the site without contributing to its upkeep.
The question is not whether you prevented from blocking the ads on this site. Clearly you are not. The question is whether it is *right* and *sustainable* to block the ads on this site. And how you should compensate people like me who do not block the ads and are therefore paying for your use of the site.

If you are blocking the ads, how are you contributing your share of the costs of running the site?

What’s hard to understand about nobody caring that you or anyone else is “paying” for upkeep up the site? Websites are like men’s urinals. Only need it once and a while to come do our business then we’re gone for the rest of the day. Same applies to websites. You should get over the feeling of people owing you anything.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
That's not the point. It's like saying that it's OK to pirate Netflix content because you would prefer a pay-per-download fee, but they only offer a subscription. It's up to the provider of the content to determine the conditions under which they make it available. It's not up to you.

Per my law professor there is nothing illegal about torrents unless you're selling what you download. The provider of the content needs to provide services to people with differet plans so they still get profit instead of people downloading torrents.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
That's not the same thing. I assume the free newspaper is an unsolicited delivery to you. Whereas I assume you choose to visit this site.

I'm quite surprised that you had to ask me about this.

I was asking @Ledsteplin and it is similar. What about the free newspapers at grocery stores that I take in case I need more paper to start a fire in the fire pit? It's close enough for this conversation.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

What is your role in MoNa? I've asked at least twice already and you have yet to tell me.
A few days ago I got an email from theCHIVE and it had an article o wanted to read. As I was on my desktop, I opened it in Chrome and got a pop-up immediately that said to either disable my ad blocker or to pay $4.99 a month. I don't use theCHIVE often but if I did I would have paid the monthly fee like I do at other sites. There are news sites that are the same way that I do pay for. If MoNa wanted me to support them I would pay a monthly fee. Alternatively if @jamesFalconer wants to invoice me every month for an agreed upon fee I would pay to support the site.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
What’s hard to understand about nobody caring that you or anyone else is “paying” for upkeep up the site? Websites are like men’s urinals. Only need it once and a while to come do our business then we’re gone for the rest of the day. Same applies to websites. You should get over the feeling of people owing you anything.
Indeed

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
TiPB was not created for the purpose of displaying ads. It’s creator created the site to share his affinity for Apple products with the world. At anytime, the creator of this site can pull it down, but yet chooses to keep it going. Neither me or you are obligated to provide monetary support to the upkeep of this site nor do I recall the site’s creator asking for it. With that in mind, revenue is generated by the displaying of ads on the site itself, however, none of us have to view the ads “on our devices”.
The Ask A Question section disputes your claim. The AAQ section allows anonymous users to post questions and receive answers without having to become a member? Are they freeloading or are they taking advantage of a service offered by the site?
You’re wrong! What is wrong about not wanting to view ads? As for compensating you for choosing to view the ads, you’ve got to be kidding. Like me, you can choose not to view them, but you freely choose to view them.

Again, none of us are obligated in any way, shape or form to the upkeep of this forum. Furthermore, the owner of this site has not, to my knowledge, asked you or anyone for compensation whatsoever.

Last edited:

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I don’t have home internet currently, and am on a metered connection, so, who’s going to compensate me for the data that these ads will use up on my data plan, if I don’t use an ad blocker??

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
TiPB was not created for the purpose of displaying ads. It’s creator created the site to share his affinity for Apple products with the world. At anytime, the creator of this site can **** it down, but yet chooses to keep it going. Neither me or you are obligated to provide monetary support to the upkeep of this site nor do I recall the site’s creator asking for it. With that in mind, revenue is generated by the displaying of ads on the site itself, however, None of us have to view the ads “on our devices”.
The Ask A Question section disputes your claim. The AAQ section allows anonymous users to post questions and receive answers without having to become a member? Are they freeloading or are they taking advantage of a service offered by the site?
You’re wrong! What is wrong about not wanting to view ads? As for compensating you for choosing to view the ads, you’ve got to be kidding. Like me, you can choose not to view them, but you freely choose to view them.

Again, none of us are obligated in any way, shape or form to the upkeep of this forum. Furthermore, the owner of this site has not, to my knowledge, asked you or anyone for compensation whatsoever.
What he said!

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I don’t have home internet currently, and am on a metered connection, so, who’s going to compensate me for the data that these ads will use up on my data plan, if I don’t use an ad blocker??
That would be a funny conversation to have with the ad providers.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

You're out of line. Just_Me_D is an Ambassador Team Leader and a Senior Moderator. He works here (and does not get paid to do so). You'll never comprehend how much he contributes to this website and to it's growing community. Most of the people here that you keep asking "how are you contributing" freely volunteer their time here to help others and keep engaging conversation going.

Maybe once you grasp that some of us here can contribute to this site in other ways than bringing in money, perhaps you'll drop this nonsense. A dead horse is a dead horse.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I am flattered to get so many responses and I don't have time to respond to them all individually, but I still don't think you understand my point. I will repeat it again in very simple terms.

You are not obligated, by law, or this website's terms and conditions, or anything else that I am aware of, to download or view adverts on this site. However, if everybody blocked the adverts on this site, its income would disappear, or at least be reduced, and it would quite possibly cease to exist. I think that's an easy point to understand, but if you still don't get please reply and I'll try to write it in even simpler terms.

You may or may not care about the possible disappearance of this site, but given the amount of time you are devoting just to this thread, I surmise that its closure would lead to something of a gap in your lives. It would lead to a gap in mine, so I would like you to co-operate with the methods used to pay for the site's upkeep.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
You're out of line. Just_Me_D is an Ambassador Team Leader and a Senior Moderator. He works here (and does not get paid to do so). You'll never comprehend how much he contributes to this website and to it's growing community. Most of the people here that you keep asking "how are you contributing" freely volunteer their time here to help others and keep engaging conversation going.

Maybe once you grasp that some of us here can contribute to this site in other ways than bringing in money, perhaps you'll drop this nonsense. A dead horse is a dead horse.

I also contribute to this site by providing free content. Judging by the responses, I would say my posts have been pretty effective at driving traffic to this thread. However, I am not asking for special treatment and comparing the site to a public urinal.

Now, it may be that some people contribute to the site in ways that don't bring in revenue. Perhaps they are justified in using an ad-blocker. Looking at most of the respondents on this thread, I don't see "admin" or similar next to their posts so I assume they are in the same position as me.

It costs money to run this site - servers, bandwidth, power, staff, etc. That has to be paid for somehow, by someone. If not you, who do you think should pay for it?

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

You are consuming a service provided by others. Why should anyone compensate you for that?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Surely you care that someone is paying for the upkeep of this site? Otherwise it will disappear!

And if you think this site is like a men's urinal, why do you spend so much time hanging around here?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Per my law professor there is nothing illegal about torrents unless you're selling what you download. The provider of the content needs to provide services to people with differet plans so they still get profit instead of people downloading torrents.

I'm not sure what jurisdiction this law of yours applies to, but in most countries it is illegal to make a copy of copyrighted content without the permission of the copyright holder. The copyright holder is the only one who has the right to make, or grant permission to make, copies (except sometimes for specific uses). The clue is in the name - think about what the word "copyright" literally means. You do not have to sell the content in order to break the law.

Bittorrent makes a copy of the downloaded content on your computer, so its use is covered by copyright law. This doesn't make Bittorrent illegal in itself. It can be legally used for acquiring content not covered by copyright, or where the copyright holder(s) has/have given permission (e.g. Linux distributions). But to come back to the Netflix example, it is illegal in most countries to download Netflix content via Bittorrent as Netflix do not give permission to do so.

There is no exemption to copyright laws for people who don't like the conditions copyright holders impose for the use of their work - there is no obligation for the "provider of the content [...] to provide services to people with differet (sic) plans so they still get profit", as you put it. This is basic property law - I am also not allowed to steal stuff from your shop if I think you are charging too much for it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal