Ad revenue.
    Indeed
    03-16-2018 10:32 AM
    I have suggested before that we create a separate site solely for console gamin though... Maybe one day it will happen *fingers crossed* Also, there just aren't that many apple products that come out a year.
    That would make sense IMO.
    03-16-2018 10:33 AM
    Admittedly, I felt the same way when I went to the iMore homepage today. It really does feel like we're getting more "How To's", ads and product placements than actual content sometimes. Which is fine if that's what you come to iMore for.

When did iMore stop being an Apple site?-screen-shot-2018-03-16-9.48.51-am-3-.jpg
    03-16-2018 10:51 AM
    What ads? I visit iMore from my computer, and I don't see them.

What non-Apple specific reviews and articles? I don't load them.
    Is this a serious comment? The two things you mentioned are literally everywhere, lol.
    03-16-2018 10:55 AM
    Maybe you missed these.

Best Smart Feeders for Dogs and Cats
    /imore-com-news-discussion/400943-best-smart-feeders-dogs-cats.html

The Instant Pot Craze and How it's Disrupting Kitchens Everywhere
    /imore-com-news-discussion/400875-instant-pot-craze-how-its-disrupting-kitchens-everywhere.html

Best Humidifiers for Your Home
    /imore-com-news-discussion/400877-best-humidifiers-your-home.html

Let this $180 Eufy RoboVac clean your dirty floors while you kick back and relax
    /imore-com-news-discussion/400841-let-180-eufy-robovac-clean-your-dirty-floors-while-you-kick-back-relax.html

This swanky Vitamix 5200 Blender is down to $299, today only
    /imore-com-news-discussion/400648-swanky-vitamix-5200-blender-down-299-today-only.html
    As annoying as these are to some people, these are on every MoNa site as they come from Thrifter; which is another MoNa entity.
    03-16-2018 11:08 AM
    What ads? I visit iMore from my computer, and I don't see them.
    Ad blocker turned off:

When did iMore stop being an Apple site?-screen-shot-2018-03-16-11.52.59-am.png

Four right on the forum home page.
    03-16-2018 11:54 AM
    Is this a serious comment? The two things you mentioned are literally everywhere, lol.
    She’s insinuating that she uses an ad-blocker and that she doesn’t click on non-Apple articles so therefore they don’t exist in her eyes. In other words, don’t like it, don’t click.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    03-16-2018 11:55 AM
    She’s insinuating that she uses an ad-blocker and that she doesn’t click on non-Apple articles so therefore they don’t exist in her eyes. In other words, don’t like it, don’t click.
    I mean, I use an ad blocker as well. And I practice the "don't like it don't click" method. But I'm still very aware of these annoyances lol.
    03-16-2018 12:08 PM
    As annoying as these are to some people, these are on every MoNa site as they come from Thrifter; which is another MoNa entity.
    If I want to shop Thrifter, I'll go to Thrifter. And it's not just annoying to "some" people, it's "many" people.
    03-16-2018 12:24 PM
    I mean, I use an ad blocker as well. And I practice the "don't like it don't click" method. But I'm still very aware of these annoyances lol.
    I haven't not used an ad blocker in about five years and I refuse to disable it.
    Lee_Bo and Kilwillie like this.
    03-16-2018 12:24 PM
    If I want to shop Thrifter, I'll go to Thrifter. And it's not just annoying to "some" people, it's "many" people.
    Indeed. They either need to combine all MoNa sites into one or make them like they once where the sites were product/OS specific.

What happened to Connectedly? I just noticed it was gone.
    03-16-2018 12:28 PM
    I haven't not used an ad blocker in about five years and I refuse to disable it.
    I mistakenly forgot to enable it after resetting Chrome once in the past and I was immediately reminded why I need it for this site. My experience was horrible.
    MasterDarque likes this.
    03-16-2018 12:36 PM
    I mistakenly forgot to enable it after resetting Chrome once in the past and I was immediately reminded why I need it for this site. My experience was horrible.
    I'm glad I finally found a good one for my phones and tablets. If I get a notification that a site won't let me proceed with an ad blocker I no longer visit that site.
    03-16-2018 01:09 PM
    I'm glad I finally found a good one for my phones and tablets. If I get a notification that a site won't let me proceed with an ad blocker I no longer visit that site.
    That's what I do most of the time. If it's something I really need to see, I copy the link in Safari, then paste it in my Puffin browser. It works there, even with the ad block on.
    03-16-2018 02:34 PM
    Fair AdBlocker enabled:

When did iMore stop being an Apple site?-screen-shot-2018-03-16-3.06.46-pm.png
    03-16-2018 03:08 PM
    That's what I do most of the time. If it's something I really need to see, I copy the link in Safari, then paste it in my Puffin browser. It works there, even with the ad block on.
    I didn't know that worked, thanks!
    03-16-2018 07:36 PM
    I didn't know that worked, thanks!
    Puffin does things in the cloud. Flash videos work. I started using it to play flash eCards I got that didn't work in Safari.
    03-16-2018 11:31 PM
    I don't mind it. I like both Apple and Nintendo

Although, a new grouping, like Windows Central, Android Central but for Gaming on the Go would be cool.
    I imagine that'd be gaming on the Switch (as it's portable) and all other gaming related news so we can have more depth of content into Pokemon GO, Harry Potter GO, Draconius GO, any others?.. Or yeah, Ghostbusters World and Jurassic World Alive.. Perhaps Animal Crossing.. shrug :P
    But also anything else Switch, which is the most Apple-ish gaming company.
    03-17-2018 06:36 AM
    Big reason why I stopped reading their articles here a couple of years ago. I came here for Apple and too many articles are not apple related. So now I use imore for the forums only.
    Yup.

Occasionally I'll come across an article from a google search but I don't look too much.

Partnering with Thrifter (you'll hear it a good bit on the iMore podcast) is a good idea for extra revenue to keep the site going. The forums are where the good stuff happens #community
    Tartarus likes this.
    03-17-2018 07:55 AM
    Ad blocker turned off:

Four right on the forum home page.
    I don't see the ads because I use a custom host file that blocks them before I ever open my browser.

Why wouldn't it be?

I hate ads. Loath them. With a serious severe passion, I hate advertisements. I will go to any extreme measure to remove them. Any. Custom host files block them before the browser is ever opened. Since I seldom use my phone to browse the Internet I won't go to that extreme to block them on my phone. But I do on my computer and my laptop because that's where the majority of my time is spent when I am online.

As for the articles, I don't see them because I don't open them or go looking for them.
    03-17-2018 08:34 AM
    Maybe you missed these.
    Can't miss something that does not appear/load on my screen. (ie; I don't click on links that do not interest me.)

Fair AdBlocker enabled:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 3.06.46 PM.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	122639
    All that empty space...
    Attached Thumbnails When did iMore stop being an Apple site?-adsblocked.jpg  
    03-17-2018 08:47 AM
    Puffin does things in the cloud. Flash videos work. I started using it to play flash eCards I got that didn't work in Safari.
    I'll check it out, thanks! What do you mean it does things in the cloud?
    03-17-2018 09:29 AM
    I don't see the ads because I use a custom host file that blocks them before I ever open my browser.
    Will you share how you did this?
    03-17-2018 09:32 AM
    Can't miss something that does not appear/load on my screen. (ie; I don't click on links that do not interest me.)

All that empty space...
    Refer to post #12 above.
    03-17-2018 09:55 AM
    Will you share how you did this?
    You must be comfortable changing file permissions and editing your Windows host file with something like Notepad++ (free software). If you don't know what a host file is or what it does, either leave it alone or research it heavily first (I promise I'm not being rude, just brutally honest so that you know editing a Windows system host file is not something to take lightly). Always make a backup of your host file in case something goes wrong.

Don't use their auto installer (it does other things you may not want it to do), do it manually. It's basically a copy and paste procedure;

Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File

This custom host file is a lot like a a virus scanner in that you must keep it updated. I typically check for an update every month or two. Running your browser with an adblocker plugin gives you an extra layer of protection.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-17-2018 10:00 AM
157 1234 ...